Anyone experience SLOWDOWN..

i havent tried all my games in 60hz since theres alot i dont play, but for some reason if i try sonic 3 or sonic & knuckles in 60hz it gets really chuggy and slows down.

i have yet to experiment with running the game through the 32x though...

the system im experiencing it on is a PAL megadrive 2, hooked up with a PAL MegaCD 2. Currently sonic 3 and sonic & knuckles are the only games i've tried that this has happened with.

anyone else get chuggy games in 60hz?

I believe those 2 games are PAL optimized. Thats why youre getting the slowdown. They werent meant to be run at 60Hz.

bit of a correction. sonic & knuckles as a stand alone cart runs fine. its the combination with sonic 3 that was the problem.

i would hardly call a game that still has pal borders pal optimised but i understand the theory and also share it with you.

some other games are causing trouble this way. basically any game that i switch on and it says "this game is for use with pal megadrive only" etc are the games that glitch in one way or another.

Some games slowdown no matter what the refresh rate - if there's alot happening on screen etc. The cpu cannot always handle what is being drawn on screen and slowsdown as a result.

Originally posted by Butane Bob@Jun 22, 2003 @ 02:01 AM

Some games slowdown no matter what the refresh rate - if there's alot happening on screen etc. The cpu cannot always handle what is being drawn on screen and slowsdown as a result.

Then why do they work fine in 50Hz?

Since the frame takes longer to draw, the CPU has more time per frame to complete its tasks. As previously stated, PAL-fixing a game can also lead to dropped frames when run at 60Hz.

That would be quite suprising... if even ironic, that a game should actually perform better in 50hz...

If that's the case, you wonder why people like 60hz so much, bar the boarders.

Out of all my Megadrive games, Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles are the only ones I've had trouble with at 60hz. What other glitches have you had apart from the Sonic ones? I've a few games that I have to switch after booting because of the lockout (Gunstar Heroes is one I can think of), but I've not noticed any problems with them.

Back