anyone know

Originally posted by joe81@May 12, 2003 @ 09:43 PM

If there is a way of sending text messages to somebody's cell phone from the computer(free of coarse)?

Chances are their service provider has a link for it somewhere on their website. Some also give out email addresses for each phone that can be used.

Originally posted by joe81@May 13, 2003 @ 05:43 AM

If there is a way of sending text messages to somebody's cell phone from the computer(free of coarse)?

Depends on the provider and such, my friend used to have a php script setup where you could msg him from his website, and some phones hook up to AIM and such...

There've been a few sites I've used to do it (only UK though), but most of them start to charge as soon as they get well known.. There's bound to be somewhere around if you look hard enough.

i want to be able to send text messages to my friend they have AT&T as their service.

i just want to be able to send them messages from my computer for free with out them having to do anything special or me having to pay

Cingular, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon have all the text messaging services from their site. For AT&T, it's:

http://www.mobile.att.net/messagecenter/

I've been using AT&T since 2000, and this is free, unlimited usage for both you and the receiver. You can't use this site to text message anyone on different providers, of course.

thanks i'm trying it out now.

As long as it works and it doesn't charge the person who's recieving the messages this is what i wanted Thanks.

You're sure it doesn't charge anyone right?(i'm a cheep person)

FYI, Cingular users have an email address with each phone number. It is the 10-digit mobile number plus @mobile.mycingular.net

So it would look like 8005551212@mobile.mycingular.net

beware, I think the first 50 SMS are free, but it might cost the Cingular customer 15¢ and the maximum characters you can use is 150, or 160 for some phones, and even 200+ for newer phones. THIS ALSO INCLUDES EMAIL HEADERS!

Anyone can email a cingular customer with this address.

Any cingular customer can email from their phone too.

"To send emails to any email address. Begin your message using the email address of the person who will receive the message.

After the email address, insert a space and then type in your message. For example, "mary.jones@abc.com Can you meet at 3pm instead of 2pm? - John". Send the message to the following number - 111 - and it is on its way" I don't think there is a way to add a "subject," so your emails will lack a subject line.

Using your cingular phone, you can reply to messages sent to you too. Once you typed your reply and go to send it, don't use the "111" number code, use the number the phone puts in automatically. This string of numbers is the code to direct your reply properly.

There are lots of neat 'number codes' you can send to retrive instant info on anything from the weather to movies.

Also, lots of cell providers are compatible with some IM programs such as ICQ, yahoo, and MSN. Check your IM support page for details, and research your cell providers. Most cell providers are able to interact with at least 1 IM service, and you can have instant 2-way conversations.

For Cingular users, here is a little lesser know site that has heaps of helpful information:

http://www.mobile.mycingular.net/

biggrin.gif

Another FYI, They can't charge you for incoming messages. They can't keep track of them, and plus with all the spam it would be silly to charge people since there would be no way to stop the charges of all these unsolisited letters.

Originally posted by Cecilia Chen@May 13, 2003 @ 02:42 PM

Another FYI, They can't charge you for incoming messages. They can't keep track of them, and plus with all the spam it would be silly to charge people since there would be no way to stop the charges of all these unsolisited letters.

Oh some can and do charge. Up here in Canada my provider gives me free incoming SMS and charges me 10 cents Canadian per outgoing SMS message. Quite cheap compared to some of the other well known brands out there.

Back