Are you an old-school pc gamer?

dibz

Boss
Staff member
Just reading another topic and started thinking about my beloved pc games again, and truthfully I only own 1 new game for the pc in say the last 5 years or so. I have quite a few games with their original boxes from years past though. Anyway, was just curious what your favorite old school games are, maybe even still play? Personally, these few come to mind right off the bat in no particular order:

1. Quest for Glory 1 and 4

2. X-wing (and Tie Fighter, plus add-on disks)

3. Wolf 3D

4. King's Quest (series, except the newest one..ack)

5. The Curse of Monkey Island (and other Lucasarts Scumm games, Sam & Max and DOTT etc)

6. Diablo II

7. Warcraft I & II

8. Commander Keen

9. C&C Games

10. Space Quest I (VGA Remake)

Ahh, most of those aren't that old school....but then most of the ones I played were disc copies like "Pinball" etc, and those are just the ones I remember playing most. Don't forget Oregon Trail on the IIgs! hah. :p

1. Descent

2. Princess Maker 2

3. Worms Armageddon

4. Warcraft 2

5. Hexen

6. Tyrian

7. Tribes

8. Gunbound

9. Doom

10. Jazz Jackrabbit

11. Thief

12. Thief 2

13. Thief 3

those are my fav pc games in no real order (except for descent)

Ah, Good Call on Worms. I used to play Worms 2 and I had downloaded all kinds of different voice packs for it, that game rocked.

Old school.. Don't know how old school ya wanna get, but I started with a lot of the older computer games..

Star Control 1 for C64

Tunnels of Doom for TI 99/4A

All of the scott adams games on the vic 20 carts - not really into IF any more though.

Bard's tale on the ol' tandy 1000 (8088)

Pool of radiance, the krynn series, etc - PC, C64, Atari 600/800

King's Quest and dungeons of daggaroth on the trs 80

dark queen of krynn on the ol' mac (used a mac plus at the time)

Wing commander series

Warcraft 1 and 2

knights of xentar

dark legions

Ultima Exodus and Avatar on C64

And Descent Freespace

I was just thinking this to myself. I haven't bought a PC game in forever. And I don't own any current gen systems. Maybe when I actually, finally, once and for all get my new computer I'll have more reason to look into PC games again. Right now it's a bit rough since my Ti4600 doesn't have DX9 support and all that.

But favorite old school games of mine, in no particular order:

Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, Leisure Suit Larry 1-3 & 5, Police Quest 2, Space Quest 1-6 (mostly remember 6), Quest for Glory 4, Command & Conquer (original, Red Alert), Doom I/II, Wolfenstein 3D, Quake II, Wing Commander 1, 2 (with expansion missions), King's Quest 4, Warcraft II, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Sim City 2000, Journeyman Project 1-3, Caesar II, Pharoah...

I'm sure I left a bunch out, but that's a pretty good start.

I've been pretty detached from the gaming world these past few years and have probably missed out on quite a bit. I guess I have new priorities :)

My gaming heritage dates back to the Amiga and C64 moreso than the PC. Some of my favorites:

Cauldron I + II (C64)

Mail Order Monsters (C64)

Damage (Amiga)

All old Delphine Software titles such as Future Wars, Operation Stealth, Out of This World, Flashback, etc (Amiga)

I also played a lot of arcade ports on both computers, like Rush 'n' Attack, Last Duel, R-Type, etc. Big Worms fan here too (originally an Amiga game..).

Does being a Doom addict count?

Same with Wolfenstein.

Here's my preferred computer game list:

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom

Quake

Quake II

Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis

Dark Forces

Warcraft II

Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Sim City 2000

Rise of The Triads, Bio-Menace *YAY Apogee software*, Wolfenstein 3d, Carmen Sandiago lmfao, Doom, all those other big DOS games or Windows 3.1 games lol.

With me, it's just about anything Apogee related as well.

Anyone heard of the game Raptor? Kick ass game.

Rise of The Triad was cool too.

Who can forget the old side-scrolling Duke Nukem games?! I LOVED those!

What about Hugo's House of Horrers? Hugo II?

Commander Keen!

Okay, so I'm going a little nuts....

:lol:

Damn ... that list is huge, and it brings back a lot of memories ...

- All the Lucasarts adventure games

- 4x4 Offroad Racing

- Alone in the Dark

- Another World

- Betrayal at Krondor

- Budokan

- Colorado

- Command & Conquer - Red Alert

- Destruction Derby

- Duke Nukem 3D

- Dune (the adventure game)

- Dune 2

- Elite 2 - Frontier

- Eye of the Beholder

- Flashback

- Gobliiins

- Kick Off 2

- Lemmings

- LHX Attack Chopper

- Little Big Adventure

- Might & Magic III

- Nuclear War

- Populous

- Prehistorik

- Prince of Persia

- Rick Dangerous

- Skweek (not sure of the spelling)

- Sim City

- Speedball 2

- Syndicate

- Test Drive 3

- The Blues Brothers

- Ultima 7 + Serpent Isle addon

- Ultima Underworld

- Warhammer - Dark Omen

- Wolfenstein 3D

- Wolfpack

- Worms

- XCOM

- Xenon 2

I don't think I'm much of a pc-gamer (let alone, an old-school pc-gamer) considering I rarely play them, and dislike the fact that they are dodgy (talking about trying to get the game running perfectly) between different systems. Too much time and effort. I love many PC games, and a lot of them are retro, but since I don't have a PC which is setup purely to run PC games (and when I say PC games, I mean ALL PC games - the new and the old) I can't enjoy them to their fullest :(

Some of my favorites were (are):

Commander Keen(1-6) (dreams was ok)

Monster Bash

Secret Agent <-- man this game rocked! I can't believe I only just remembered about it!

Duke Nukem (1+II)

Jill of the Jungle

Flight of the Intruder <-- about the only flight sim I have ever really enjoyed! That's saying a lot!

CD-Man <-- a pac-man clone. Didn't know of pac-man at the time ;)

Bananoid <-- arkanoid clone. Again, didn't know arkanoid existed..

Digger <-- (by Windmill software - check it out if you haven't played it!!

There are a few more favorites ranging from Doom through to Age of Empires II, but these don't seem too old to me :)

Originally posted by dibz@Wed, 2004-11-10 @ 12:26 PM

6. Diablo II

diablo 2 is not oldschool. some people doen't even consider diablo as oldschool.

these were some of the games for lonely nights...even now I play some of them

-descent

-xcom: ufo defense

-xcom: terror from the deep

-dune2

-lotus: the ultimate challenge

-doom

-commander keen

-master of orion

-master of magic

-mortal kombat 1 & 2 (they were much better than the console versions)

-omf

-reunion (I'm still waiting for reunion 2...)

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Thu, 2004-11-11 @ 06:55 AM

I don't think I'm much of a pc-gamer (let alone, an old-school pc-gamer) considering I rarely play them, and dislike the fact that they are dodgy (talking about trying to get the game running perfectly) between different systems. Too much time and effort. I love many PC games, and a lot of them are retro, but since I don't have a PC which is setup purely to run PC games (and when I say PC games, I mean ALL PC games - the new and the old) I can't enjoy them to their fullest :(

Some of my favorites were (are):

Commander Keen(1-6) (dreams was ok)

Monster Bash

Secret Agent <-- man this game rocked! I can't believe I only just remembered about it!

Duke Nukem (1+II)

Jill of the Jungle

Flight of the Intruder <-- about the only flight sim I have ever really enjoyed! That's saying a lot!

CD-Man <-- a pac-man clone. Didn't know of pac-man at the time ;)

Bananoid <-- arkanoid clone. Again, didn't know arkanoid existed..

Digger <-- (by Windmill software - check it out if you haven't played it!!

There are a few more favorites ranging from Doom through to Age of Empires II, but these don't seem too old to me :)

[post=123485]Quoted post[/post]​

most old school pc games run with dosbox. if the latest version doesn't work fine, you can get a cvs release (have good improvements over the stable releases), or one doing true emulation of a roland mt-32.

You're right, Diablo really isn't old school, I guess I just haven't played it in along time. Although Runik hit the spot on many of those games, enough where I had to dig out a few of them to play again :) Dosbox works very well, but I usually have better luck with VMWare and Virtual PC.

Back