Article on Sega's Shining series up at Sega-16.com

Woo! Just finished up an article on the history of the Shining series, including developer info and a complete chronology. Eat it up here.

While you're at it, vote in the new poll and read some of the other goodies.

...and post some feedback, darn it! I want to know what ya'll think!

Great article. I thought it summed the series up nicely, although I wasn't sure what you meant about rendered characters being used in Shining Force II.

i like your site bro, got it in my favs list at work... i read it when i get bored here at work.

Originally posted by it290@Sep 22, 2004 @ 12:52 AM

Great article. I thought it summed the series up nicely, although I wasn't sure what you meant about rendered characters being used in Shining Force II.

Oops! That should read "Shining Force III."

Originally posted by stack99@Sep 22, 2004 @ 02:46 PM

nice site man, kudos on the article.

[post=119459]Quoted post[/post]​

Nice avatar! :cool:

Yo man, I really enjoyed your Phantasy Star article. However, I noticed some things....

Phantasy Star III was an unfortunate mess. Released in 1991, Sega decided not to have Yuji Naka and Reiko Kodama plan and design this game (Click to see a full list of credits). Consequently the game hardly resembles either of the first two.

Sega didn't "decide" not to have Naka and Kodama, as Naka and Kodama were doing other projects. Sega got the Golden Axe team to do this one.

If the development schedule hadn't been as bad and tight as it was, PSIII would've own all. It was gonna have A LOT to deal with PS and PSII. However, due the the terrible development time, they had to rush things quite a bit.

intriguing idea, but the result was four different endings to one sub-par game.

Actually, three endings, as two of 'em are the same. Also, PSIII is a GREAT game, it's just REALLY slow, and you gotta spend time with it.

n, Yuji Naka and Reiko Kodama combine to design and program this game.

Naka didn't have anything to do with PSIV. He only worked on PS and PSII.

ega's commercial for Phantasy Star III displayed exactly what was apparent in their design process--arrogance. Never once in the commercial is there footage from the actual game. Instead all the viewer sees is a choreographed dance with swords, and the phrase "King of RPG." The ridiculously apparent attempt to sell Phantasy Star III solely on the success of the previous two games cannot be overlooked.

Do note, that's a JAPANESE commercial. Sega wasn't trying to be arrogant with it. It's kinda hard to be arrogant when you're in last place right?

I happen to have liked the PSIII commercial. I like it more than the others.

Back