Attention 64 pin Saturn owners.

mal

Established Member
My three mods arrived today.

As you may have read, I tried both a Lik-Sang mod and a Lan-Kwei mod in ajnin's '64 pin' Saturn and had no luck with them at all. Both mods work fine in a '32 pin' Saturn, so they aren't dead.

A few SX members had posted success with Gamegizmo mods.

I'm quite happy to confirm that for you now.
biggrin.gif

All three have been tested and work flawlessly with the 'A+B' method of connection I outlined in my other thread.

Why these mods work and Lik-Sang/Lan-Kwei mods don't is anyones guess. How long Gamegizmo will have them I have no idea either.

All I can suggest is that if you have a '64 pin' Saturn that you want to mod, order today.
smile.gif

ChickenManDan, I don't know.

It could be that these are old stock and for some reason the newer production runs fail to work with 64 pin Saturns. Who knows?

All I know is that these ones work (I tested all 3) and neither my Lik-Sang nor Lan-Kwei mods did. ???

When I spoke to a sales rep from GameGizmo about two years ago (I'd ordered some PSX chips that were very late arriving, turned out they'd sent them to my PO Box instead of my house, meaning they got caught up in customs via the post office and took just over a week to get here), I mentioned that "I wish you carried chips for the Sega Saturn. That's the next system I need to find a mod for." The rep told me that they planned to carry Saturn chips in "the near future," and that they were trying to find someplace that could make the chips for them.

I figured that was mostly BS, until they actualy started selling SS chips. Maybe the part about looking for a manufacturer wasn't BS either, meaning they get them custom made rather than from a HK-based chip dealer.

<A href="http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/gamegizm/b.asp?id=1172">

showban.asp
</a>

I highly doubt they get them custom made. I suspect that they just buy in bulk from Lik-Sang, or its spin off Lan-Kwei. As soon as ether store stops stocking items, im sure its only a matter of time before GameGizmo "magicly" stops getting SS stock.

So I am the only person who has bought a Lik-Sang SS modboard and has gotten it to work Mal's way on my 64 pin system? Everyone else has problems with it?

Excellent job Mal!

I know this has been covered before, but because the other thread is REALLY long, i would like to suggest someone making some "installation guide" post with pics right here, or in the miscellaneous section of Sx, as a help doc. Of course, the install guide should point and show installation of a GameGizmo mod, as they are surely compatible.
tongue.gif

I there a good set of instructions for attempting mal's new mod technique? I order my mod today and cann't wait to attempting modding my 64 pin.

Thank's Xai.

One of these days I'll put together instructions for all types of 21 pin mods.

BTW anyone with a Sanyo CD Saturn willing to give a Gamegizmo mod a try?

If anyone has tried a Lik-Sang/Lan-Kwei mod that did not work for them with their Sanyo CD I could be convinced to swap it for a Gamegizmo mod.
smile.gif

A question mal,

Is there any obvious physical difference between the two mod chips? Could you provide a scan of the Gamegizmo chip?

I'm intrigued as to the differences between the chips - is it just a simple harware/circuit board revision or is it a change in the onboard program..?

The differences?

The only visible ones are minor.

Lik-Sang mod:

(square IC) GAL16V8C

(Rectangular IC) CF745-047P 0025GFD (this ones kind of major :
wink.gif
smile.gif

Lan-Kwei mod:

(square IC) GAL16V8B

(Rectangular IC) EM78P156ELP 0151D BP1CL1

GameGizmo mods:

(square IC) GAL16V8B

(Rectangular IC) EM78P156ELP 0114B BC1462

and EM78P156ELP 0114B BC1442

Of course there's more numbers on the 'GAL' chips but I don't think they are important. I've highlighted the major difference between my Lan-Kwei mod and the GameGizmo mods.

I'm guessing it's down to the rectangular IC. Anyone got any ideas what these specific chips do?

There don't appear to be any other major differences.

I would guess at least one of those is some kind of programable PIC chip (or equivelent), which I guess would mean that at some point the program generating the signal that disables (?) the security check changed and broke compatability with later Saturns. (or is it earlier Saturns ??? )

Poop.

EDIT: Yes, (EM78P156EL). Anyone up for hacking the program out?

EDIT AGAIN: In fact they are <a href="http://www.latticesemi.com/lit/docs/military/16v8mil.pdf">both
microcontrollers. I wonder what they do?

Hmm... ???

I wouldn't have a clue where to start with any of that.

I've got a friend who's studying 'digital systems' and I'll see if it makes any sense to him.

BTW have you noticed that Gamegizmo, Lik-Sang and Lan-Kwei don't have installation instructions for 64 pin Saturns?

Lik-Sang used to, but I don't know about the others.

smile.gif
I got my Gamegizmo mod yesterday. I modded my 64 pin Saturn using the A+B connection. It works perfectly. I had been holding off due to the difficulty, and often impossiblilty to mod a 64pin. I will be disc swapping no more.

ok, be cool with a noob. since i just switched my saturn, and the swap drives me crazy, so i need a mod chip. now, the point is: how do i make the difference between a 32 pin and a 64 pin? since i got a model 2 saturn, i suppose i got a 21 pin laser ribbon, but i don't understand the 32/64 pin thing. help, please.

There is no external way of telling which version (32/64 pin) you have. The 32/64 refers to the number of pins on an IC on the CD PCB that you need to solder a wire to. Some Model 2's have the 32pin IC, others have the 64.

If you were to order your mod from Gamegizmo and wire up using the 'A+B' method, it shouldn't matter whether you have a 32 or 64 pin Saturn.

I should negotiate a commission with Gamegizmo.
biggrin.gif

Back