Bad news for lik sang...

mal

Established Member
Nintendo wins Lik-Sang piracy case

Want anything from them? I'd get in soon if I were you.
sad.gif

thats bullshit i hope nintendo end up like sega for this. :devil

if there is such a problem with the sellers of copy devices how about the MANUFACTURERS, stupid bastards.

shit i hope i get the a/v cable i just paid for
unsure.gif

I have never actually bought from lik-sang. But i know that its a great company and i have really lost respect for nintendo. I thought they were better than that...
sad.gif

I have to admit: the streets of Hong Kong are FLOODED with gameboy piracy. It is almost impossible to ignore the disregard to copyrights in that city. If you walk down Temple street, it is almost as if no other system exists except Gameboy. I am just glad that it is nintendo rather than sega. I just wish the pirates would return their attention to systems other than GB.

This is bad news for Lik-Sang, but unless the Chinese government decides to completely roll over on its back nothing is going to change in the long run.

I've mentioned this before, but during the Gameboy's heyday there was a company called Bung that made flash cartridges for it, very popular with warez kiddies and both licensed and hobby developers. Eventually, Nintendo got fed up and got Bung closed down. A few months later a new company sold the same product under a different name.

Hong Kong facilitates institutionalized piracy. It's bad enough that warez kiddies jack everything (although some of them do actually buy retail games that they end up playing for awhile; these aren't exactly warez "kiddies" though) but when you have whole shops devoted to profiting off someone elses' HARD LONG HOURS (crunches break up marriages)..

Someone's gotta step in.

I don't see what the problem is, to be honest.

When you have great GBA developers like Crawfish going under because it's so hard to turn a profit on making GBA games on one hand, and then places laughing all the way to the bank selling devices to pirate the games on the other.. I don't know how you can have sympathy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a rat's arse about the loss of any GBA copier gear. I haven't got a GBA and wouldn't pirate stuff even if I did.

What does disappoint me is the possibility that they might have to shut down as a result of the case. There's a fair bit of legitimate stuff there as well as grey market stuff that it would be a shame to lose.

If Wal-Mart sold crack, got sued, and went out of business because of it, I wouldn't shed a tear.

There's a lot of useful, cheap shit there too.

Playin' with matches, bro.

urgh

nintendo did NOT sue the lik-sang you know now.

nintendo sued the OLD lik-sang company. not lik-sang international. those are 2 different owners, 2 different companies.

In the article it says "Hong Kong based Lik-Sang", so I'm guessing that the international Lik-Sang is different. But they are the same company, aren't they? It's not like Nintendo sued a totally different company. Lik-Sang overall will be taking the blame, won't they?

If Wal-Mart sold crack, got sued, and went out of business because of it, I wouldn't shed a tear.

This is more like Wal-Mart getting sued for selling VCRs and CD burners. A flash cart and writer doesn't let you do anything fundamentally different from what a DVD/CD burner or VCR lets you do. The main difference is that no company is willing to fight tooth-and-nail to be the sole arbiter of what gets published on those platforms, because they're intended to be semi-open industry standards and a bunch of companies can profit by supporting them. Nintendo, on the other hand, risks becoming irrelevant as a hardware company if it doesn't brutally hammer the hell out of anyone who brushes up against its platforms. Any other console manufacturer faces the same situation; Nintendo just has less tolerance for the risk.

Originally posted by SegaSquad@Jun 20, 2003 @ 01:09 PM

I have really lost respect for nintendo. I thought they were better than that...
sad.gif

I lost respect for Nintendo way way back, when i heard how they screwed Sega's Master System in the USA. Sega stuck it to em in Europe though.

Originally posted by BooBoo02+Jun 20, 2003 @ 11:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BooBoo02 @ Jun 20, 2003 @ 11:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-SegaSquad@Jun 20, 2003 @ 01:09 PM

I have really lost respect for nintendo. I thought they were better than that...
sad.gif

I lost respect for Nintendo way way back, when i heard how they screwed Sega's Master System in the USA. Sega stuck it to em in Europe though. [/b][/quote]

I was to young to know about any of that

i didnt think the GBA thing was that imensely popular

you didn't realy save money by geting one of those

if you wanted to keep your whole library you would need multiple carts or cary around a laptop with your GBA -- i thought it was a rip-off anyways

Back