Beggar Prince for Sega Genesis-MegaDrive

Greetings.

I suppose it has been a question mark for quite a while, but Beggar Prince is indeed a serious project of Super Fighter Team. C&E, Inc. was kind enough to grant us exclusive permission to handle the job, and as such we've made it a point to really put our hearts into it.

The game script was translated from Chinese to English, most of it then rewritten to give the game a more understandable, exciting, and emotional plot. The introduction and title screen graphics have been changed to reflect the English title of the game. As I simply refuse to release buggy or otherwise flawed software, I hired a few Genesis programming veterans to patch and/or remove the bugs that C&E allowed the game to ship with in Taiwan due to a rushed release schedule. Overall, I am very proud of the work we have done and I believe the Genesis-Megadrive community will appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into the translation and additional preparation of this game.

Beggar Prince will be the first American cartridge release of a Sega Genesis game in many years. An expansive RPG, the game is 4MB in size and features four save game slots (32KB battery-backed SRAM). While pricing details and exact release date are not yet decided, this game is definitely a "go", with the backing of the original company (C&E, Inc.) standing behind our efforts. OlderGames will be handling the publishing and sale of the completed product.

Seven screenshots of the game in action are now available, as of today, for viewing from the Beggar Prince website. There will be many more pictures, information, etc. on the website within a short time. Since the game is so close to official release, I feel that now is a good time to get the ball rolling.

It is my sincere hope that this project will inspire more folks to give the Sega Genesis-Megadrive some additional attention, especially in the way of as-of-yet untranslated RPG adventures. There are many Taiwan-produced games of this genre waiting for a good, solid English release. More often than not, the companies that create these Taiwanese games are more than happy to help Westerners bring them to a larger audience.

Thanks for your support. Take care.

These are great news and a big surprise, too!

How is the SuperFighter project going?

For years I've been seeing it announced for a variety of consoles. I thought there will never be a release...

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Sun, 2005-06-12 @ 03:19 AM

These are great news and a big surprise, too!

How is the SuperFighter project going?

For years I've been seeing it announced for a variety of consoles. I thought there will never be a release...

[post=135209]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks. You're right, it is a surprise, I think most people (even those deep in Genesis development) aren't expecting new games to release in cartridge format. CD format is cheaper to produce, so there have been some recent game releases in CD format. However, there's such a smaller user base for the Sega CD, that creating a CD-only release shuts a great deal of people out.

Super Fighter is going fine, there's a few products in development at the moment which, to my delight, are going very smoothly.

One reason I don't publicly share definite news about a game until I believe it ready for release, is because "work in progress" or "estimated release dates" don't fly with me. I don't want to ever give fans a release date for a game until I am certain that it will be met.

The multiple console release dates for Super Fighter of which you speak are most likely from the OlderGames website. Like many companies, OlderGames can tend to get excited about potential products and, to keep the "fire alive" with consumers, post projected release dates. Please keep in mind that the best way to find out when a new Super Fighter Team production is coming out is to stick to the official website, www.superfighter.com, as all of the news there comes directly from me.

Thanks for your interest.

This looks awesome. Is it like Lunar? I hope that this one really does get released, at a fair price, considering how old the technology is now days. A sega cd release would be good as well, but I understand what you mean about not everyone having a sega cd system. Good luck

Originally posted by Malakai@Tue, 2005-06-14 @ 05:56 PM

This looks awesome. Is it like Lunar? I hope that this one really does get released, at a fair price, considering how old the technology is now days. A sega cd release would be good as well, but I understand what you mean about not everyone having a sega cd system. Good luck

[post=135287]Quoted post[/post]​

Hrm, how to explain it ... Story-wise, the game spins out of a Prince & the Pauper Motif where you, the prince of the Shatt Kingom, exchange clothes with a beggar and end up locked out of the castle after you've had your fun. Unfortunately in your absence the evil Cat Minister is planning to take over the kingdom and you've given him free reign. The rest of the game is the prince's quest to save his kingdom and ends up leading you to explore a pretty expansive world.

One of the more interesting things is how the game has no system of currency. Everything you get in the game you have to either find or trade for since you're a pauper. The magic system has somewhere around 30 or more spells for the prince to learn in 9 categories. The only character you control is the prince -- there is no party system.

Lunar probably isn't the best comparison.

· November 1, 2019: Super Fighter Team ceases operations as a video game publisher, will continue as a developer
· August 8, 2019: Tough Guy released as a free download
· January 4, 2019: Vixen 357 for Sega Genesis / Mega Drive available for pre-order

Back