best dc rpg?

My Favourite Dreamcast RPG's in order are:

1. shenmue

2. shenmue 2

3. Evolution 2

4. Evolution

5. Skies Of Arcadia

So hooked on Shenmue that I bought an Xbox, just for the english (dubbed) version. Ryo wasn't Ryo from shenmue 1 to 2 because of the two different langages in dreamcast versions.

Skies of Arcadia is the best.

Grandia 2 seems pretty good, but it just isn't as captivating to me.

Shenmue is pretty good, but sometimes it seems like a chore.

Rhapsody of Zephyr is the best Dreamcast RPG. I say this after playing all the other ones as well. Just for the love of god, use the VGA box. You are missing SO MUCH on RoZ if you don't.

Originally posted by DBOY@May 22, 2003 @ 10:49 PM

Rhapsody of Zephyr is the best Dreamcast RPG. I say this after playing all the other ones as well. Just for the love of god, use the VGA box. You are missing SO MUCH on RoZ if you don't.

Is it in English?

I've never heard of it

It's a Japanese translation of a very famous Korean RPG made by SOFTMAX (the company who did Magna Carta). The Japanese translation was done by Falcom (who once upona time when they made new games instead of translating other people's games, made the Ys series)

The game is phenominal. This is the PC version but it looks identical on the Dreamcast if you have a VGA box. (more text after pictures)

SOFTMAX's English page about the game

scene10.jpg

scene23.jpg

scene16.jpg

scene20.jpg

here's the english story blurb from the page.

50 years after the War of Genesis, events of those times having disappeared into oblivion, Antaria is swept by a new wind of confusion. In the final phase of the War of Genesis, the old Caysir Empire loses its leader and without a central rallying power becomes unstable. The Empire sees local lords fight against each other in a reversion to the old feudal age, and the ever-powerful Silver Arrow camp wastes its power fighting the Tur Empire, which mount counterattacks via the Eastern Routes.

In this confusing era, a man appears who changes the course of history: Cesare Borgia. A knight of the Empire, he embraces the "Godhead Faith" of the enemy Pandragon, and becomes the first Cardinal of the old Empire Dominion. He returns to the Empire to grab power as head of the Empire Land of the "Godhead Faith". After defeat in the War of Genesis, the state religion is banned and the authority of Cesare is absolute. He accuses his opponents of heresy and witchcraft and consolidates his power by destroying them.

Luke Bernstein, feudal lord of Caysir city, capital of the old Empire Dominion, attacks Caysir's cathedral on the pretext of saving his only son Cesare Bernstein, who is charged with heresy. However, he too is subdued, and his wealth and power flow into Cesare's hands.

At the same time, Cyrano, imprisoned in the hell-like Inferno due to betrayal by his friend and his fiancee Mercedes, daughter of Cesare, is simmering with thoughts of revenge. About 13 years after he is imprisoned, he escapes from the prison during the Inferno Jailbreak of Zephyer Falcon and heads towards the Island of Storm where Asura, the magic sword used by the Black Prince …

The story is based on the Count of Monte Christ but in the setting of the War of Genesis (a famous series of Strategy RPGs) world. Very cool.

If you're interested in Magna Carta (a 3D RPG) you can read about it at http://www.magnacarta.co.kr/en/main.php

Learn Japanese or Korean. Foreign languages are good for you.

In all seriousness, the music alone makes this game worth getting. It's incredible. I think there was a walkthrough at GameFAQs too. Can't remember though.

Originally posted by DBOY@May 22, 2003 @ 11:27 PM

Learn Japanese or Korean. Foreign languages are good for you.

In all seriousness, the music alone makes this game worth getting. It's incredible. I think there was a walkthrough at GameFAQs too. Can't remember though.

I took 3 years of Spanish and can just barely read that
smile.gif

Originally posted by DBOY@May 23, 2003 @ 12:35 AM

Being forced to take Spanish for 3 years and actually wanting to learn a language are very different.

I didn't have to take any

I liked it, but once we got to different tenses of verbs and such it got a little confusing.

I pretty much stunk at speaking it too.

I need to brush up on it again.

Although living in California, you'd think I'd be able to pick enough up
huh.gif

18 hours of watching Telemundo is a good refresher course, at least in understanding it again. Whenever I'm in Florida I watch spanish TV for a few daysand I'm always surprised at how much I remember after a while. Though I don't have the capacity to speak it anymore.

Originally posted by sizone@Dec 3, 2002 @ 10:04 PM

it kinda seems like the easier the rpg, the harder the last boss is, see also golden sun

Just have to cut in... What's so hard about Saturos/Menardi and Fusion Dragon? I beat them on my first try, and proceeded to do it three more times, just because I was left thinking 'that's it?!' and 'Why does everyone say it's so hard?!'

My thoughts on Evolution:

I picked up Evolution Worlds for GCN, used, $18, yay, anyway, um...

It's incredibly boring. The fighting is almost exactly like FFX's (hahaha, stupid Square, adapting the engine from a mediocre DC game)... which is a good thing. The ability system isn't too bad either.

But the dungeons... dammit, the dungeons are... LONG. And THE SAME DAMN THING OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

I'm on the SECOND dungeon, 9th floor... when I started it, I was running short on time, and when I got to the 7th floor, I thought, heck, I'll temp-save and quit for now. I got back to it again and did the 8th, thinking it'd be the boss floor - no dice. After ~20 minutes I finished the floor and temp-saved again (no time to go farther). Two nights ago I went back thinking 'Hmm. Floor 9... should be it.' Nope. No boss yet - another 20-30 minute floor that's effectively the same thing I just did 8 times. And the floors get more and more complicated the farther you go. <_<

Anyway, long story short, Evolution is more or less a giant dungeon crawl.

In other news, Grandia 2 is the best thing since sliced bread. Much more variety, and the IP system rules. And you have no idea how satisfying it is to have Ryudo about ~3x faster than any enemy I've yet encountered, with an instant Tenseiken Slash to cancel the suckers :bounce

So in other words it's pathetically easy with bad voice acting.

Glad to know even a glorified review of the game can't miss that.

Originally posted by DBOY@May 23, 2003 @ 07:30 PM

So in other words it's pathetically easy with bad voice acting.

Glad to know even a glorified review of the game can't miss that.

...huh? I don't follow. :confused

Originally posted by Presley Fire@May 24, 2003 @ 07:49 PM

I hated Roan with all my being.
angry.gif

I really almost cried when that elvish son of a fuck rejoined my party later in the game.

Back