Best Saturn Music

Hi all,

For those who dont know me, i am a sound engineer by trade and im currently doing a dissertation at the Queensland Conservatorium of Music on Video game Music. I would really like some suggestions to what you out there think is the best saturn soundtrack. I am after games where the music plays as important role as the graphics and gameplay. Examples of current games that im studying include

Ridge Racer 2 (arcade)

Boroque (Saturn)

F-Zero (Snes)

Sonic 2 (Genisis)

..... to name just a few,

i would like any inout that you could offer,

Cheers,

Berty

Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight (originally released on psx) has one of the best soundtracks ever for any game system.

I think the music for Shining Force 3 is also really good. The arranged soundtrack cd for Shining the Holy Ark is one of my favorites. Also Lunar 2 Eternal Blue has a very memorable soundtrack. And definately don`t forget Panzer Dragoon Saga and Panzer Dragoon

How about Gaiares? Street of Rage 1 & 2, Sonic 1, Elemental Master, El Viento, Valis 3, Actraiser... to name just a few =)

Other than those already said...

Grandia of course, both "WipEout"s, Elevator Action Returns, Radiant Silvergun, Wachenröder (musci by Ian McDonald), Layer Section, Deep Fear, Daytona USA, Clockwork Knight, Hissatsu!, Nights and Burning Rangers have -in very different ways- very studied and interesting soundtracks.

[edit: quoting ]

How about Gaiares? Street of Rage 1 & 2, Sonic 1, Elemental Master, El Viento, Valis 3, Actraiser... to name just a few =)

I think he said Saturn soundtracks :
wink.gif
:

As emazur said, both SFIII and Panzer Dragoon have very good music. And if you're "after games where the music plays as important role as the graphics and gameplay", then NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS are excellent options. In NiGHTS the music changes in real time depending on your actions -you can study the melody system in Christmas NiGHTS' Melody Box, it's really amazing. Also, Christmas' musics change in Christmas -you have to listen to the ending's song!
biggrin.gif

Good luck with your work!

Panzer Dragoon games have great music..
wink.gif
Remember Astal.. It also had a very good sound track.. Complimenting it's cool 2d graphics..

Originally posted by Tony Skyrunner@Feb. 03 2003, 7:48 am

[edit: quoting ]

I think he said Saturn soundtracks :
wink.gif
:

As emazur said, both SFIII and Panzer Dragoon have very good music. And if you're "after games where the music plays as important role as the graphics and gameplay", then NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS are excellent options. In NiGHTS the music changes in real time depending on your actions -you can study the melody system in Christmas NiGHTS' Melody Box, it's really amazing. Also, Christmas' musics change in Christmas -you have to listen to the ending's song!
biggrin.gif

Good luck with your work!

Oops!! My bad! My bad! hehehe
biggrin.gif

Music plays an important role in ALL games. If a game has an annoying music, that'll degrade the playing experience a LOT.

I remember when I played Indiana Jones in the SMS. That game had no music, no ambient sounds... it felt so boring.

But yeah, Night's got a very unique musical score, added the fact you have 8 versions for each music (and can combine parts from each version to produce new musics).

Shining Force 3 has some great music too, and each scenario has some very good exclusive tracks. Gotta love Scenario 3 intro music. The OST CDs are also awesome, since they have slightly rearranged tracks.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga... damn. I partially exclude the original PD because it's music didn't fit the game's world very well. It was too "early 32-bit sci-fi-ish synth CD game music" for my tastes. But the latter 2 games settled a very interesting style. The Panzer Dragoon Saga's credits music (disc 4's track 4), with lyrics in the game's fictional language, and a very, very exotic and epic feeling , is truly amazing.

Lunar 2... damn, why doesn't this game have a sound test option? The tracks are very well renditions of the original ones. The Zophar battle theme stucks in my head until now.

The already mentioned Policenauts. THAT'S background music. It sets the mood in a rare way. It's lush, moody, and ever changing. Unfortunally, most doesn't contains melodies you can remember, but they'll keep you hooked every minute you play.

And goddamn Radiant Silvergun. The soundtrack is it's life! It merges the gameplay and the graphics in a way only Ikaruga can match.

And I must also mention that all the games mentioned above make wonderfull usage of the Saturn sound hardware. None of those uses pre-recorded audio files. They all use real-time synthetizers that build the music based on a mere set of samples (like .MOD files).

Shining Force 3, in particular, does it in a so abusive way sometimes the Saturn sound system will get buggy, due the amount of pitch shifting, reverb and chorus effects going on all usable sound channels.

Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Nights, Xmas Nights, Mr. Bones, and Sonic R. Those games sound tracks define the Saturn for me.

Back