Best Sega System?

Would you all agree that the Genesis was Sega's best system? Also in terms of sales, was it the most sucessful? I gotta say, I love my Dreamcast and Saturn but theres something that stragely keeps me loving my Genesis....

Quote: from crystalmethod on 6:31 pm on Mar. 23, 2002

Would you all agree that the Genesis was Sega's best system? Also in terms of sales, was it the most sucessful? I gotta say, I love my Dreamcast and Saturn but theres something that stragely keeps me loving my Genesis....

It's probably that nice big slot in the top...;)

gross... but the genesis was a great system and is my favorite as well. I think that the sega saturn sold the best, however....

In japan!

Well, my first Genesis was the only system I ever had that burned out, thanks to an official Sega product no less. 32X.

w00t!! go genny, go dc!!

altho genesis emu is still shaky and snes emu is barely playable on dc, nester does wonders and that's all that matters ^_^

i dunno, i havnt tried a saturn cos it never made it in the UK, i liked my megadrive, i like my new one (wish i never sold the old one) When i was little i was given the choice of being given a megadrive or a snes for christmas. I chose the megadrive. I remember it costing 100 pounds with 2 pads and sonic 1. one of the pads was a megafire (had rapid fire built in) and i still have that. I think it is fantastic still and i'm glad to see it still loved by so many. I'm also glad that people are programming for it and keeping it alive. Go Megadrive!!!!!

p.s. ive been using KEGA and having the only problem is it wont talk to my CD drive and i have no CD bios files for it. Stable, runs fast, no problem :)

In all seriousness though, this is definately a tough one...

The DC is probably the system I've had the most fun on...but the Megadrive has such classic classics!

Flip a coin?

The Genesis/MD was the best *selling* Sega system, no question - about 21 million consoles sold worldwide. (The Master System is in second place with 10 million, closely followed by the Saturn at about 8 million, IIRC.)

As for which is the best... at this moment in time, I'd have to say the Saturn, due to the sheer quantity of truly excellent games and broad mix of genres (both modern and classic).

Mike

well i dunno...i'm sure the DC sold pretty well as it was semi-mainstream. It had quite the library of games and it still tops anything out there on the next gen. The Saturn I'm still getting into but I like what i see....but the Genesis. I think it may have somehting to do with the fact that it brings back memories from the glory days of gaming....the whole Genny vs. SNES thing. Sega vs. Nintendo....gee how many of you wish it were the same now?

I had a similar choice to make with SNES vs Megadrive as a kid and chose Megadrive, taunting the SNES goons in the playground. When I got into emulation though, it seemed that there were a lot more really good SNES games than Megadrive ones even though I can't remember it that way. Nintendo games always looked brighter and more cutesy that Megadive ones, and I think that style of graphics worked better on 16 bit systems in my humble opinion.

Nothing on SNES beats Gunstar Heroes though

I would say the Dreamcast. I've had all the other systems, but what was really unique about the Dreamcast (to me) was that many of the games started looking better than the arcade versions.

i never understand why people love gunstar heroes so much. i personaly prefer contra hard corps over it, cause in gunstar heroes your always throwing your partner around and cursing. besides that the game is far too easy, not to mention that the weapons are unbalanced, get the homing lazer and you dont have to do any more work

I have to say Dreamcast, Emulation is great on it. The only problum with the Genesis Emu is the Sound is kinda mesed up with some games. It runs at a pretty constant %100 speed.

I think maybe I like the feel of Gunstar Heroes, Contra is good though. Treasure games usually seem to have something special that's hard to put your finger on, I dunno.

I'm not sure, but I think Contra: Hard Corps was one of the "proto-Treasure" Konami games. It has awesome action, large heavily articulated bosses, and character dialogue in what would otherwise be a completely mindless action game. Sounds like Treasure to me... :biggrin:

Back