bin/cue or iso+mp3?

i was just thinking what is better and i think that even though bin files are begger than iso+mp3 they are better and easy to burn,however i'm intrested to know what do you guys think and what you like the most?

I can't even burn bin/cue sucessfully
tongue.gif
I have to always run it through ISO Buster and build a new cue file to get anything to work at all.

Bin/cues are considered better by purists as they are an exact copy of the disc. Let's not debate that train of thought again.

Iso/mp3s are considered better by some FTP owners and by dial-up internet users as the files tend to be smaller. There's debate about that too.
sarcasm.gif

Writing cuesheets isn't that hard in the first place, but with Lodger's Saturn cue maker and burning software that can convert mp3s on the fly, there's not much difference in terms of ease of use between bin/cue and iso/mp3.

I myself prefer ISO+MP3 just cuz of the size differences. If it's ripped correctly from the original disc in a high enough bit-rate there really is no quality lost, I usually rip my MP3s at 192 minimum. But both are easy enough to deal with.

Originally posted by rcefiro@July 13 2002,12:04

If it's ripped correctly from the original disc in a high enough bit-rate there really is no quality lost

Mp3 is a lossy compression scheme, quality is lost at WHATEVER bitrate you encode at. I can tell when a song has been 'mp3'd' up to about 256kbps because the technology is so shoddy. Ogg vorbis on the otherhand is much higher fidelity and I usually cant hear any artifacts at 192 unless the song is REALLY dynamic.

Well I've heard stories of people who can tell that MP3 loses quality and I don't doubt you can do it. But for me, I really can't tell one bit. Guess I just don't pay too much attention to little bits of lot quality. MP3 is good enough for me.

I used to tote around an mp3 player and TRUST me , when you are forced to listen to 128kb music, you want to puke.. always 320 for me and the minidisc now..

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey+July 14 2002,03:13--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkankinMonkey @ July 14 2002,03:13)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-gamefoo21@July 14 2002,03:10

hehehe which would you rather have mp3 or wma????

mp3[/b][/quote]

Same here. :
wink.gif
:

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey+July 13 2002,09:08--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkankinMonkey @ July 13 2002,09:08)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-rcefiro@July 13 2002,12:04

If it's ripped correctly from the original disc in a high enough bit-rate there really is no quality lost

Mp3 is a lossy compression scheme, quality is lost at WHATEVER bitrate you encode at. I can tell when a song has been 'mp3'd' up to about 256kbps because the technology is so shoddy. Ogg vorbis on the otherhand is much higher fidelity and I usually cant hear any artifacts at 192 unless the song is REALLY dynamic.[/b][/quote]

256 kbit/s is cd quality if using Lame or some Fraunhofer encoders

any other encoder is prolly not even close

No MP3 is ever CD quality. Ever.

Don't believe me? Get yourself a decent set of head phones, take wave file (about 2 meg, right click "save-as") and compare it to <a href="http://www.southcom.com.au/~csteve/drums128.mp3">128K and 320k.

Now turn on Winamp EQ and drop all frequencies to zero, except 60Hz. Notice even on the 320K file there is a general loss of definition and a warbling effect - not present on the CD quality version.

Now do the opposite - increase the 14 KHz frequency and drop the 60Hz. Now you'll hear a brittleness that isn't present in the CD quality version. Increasing the 16KHz setting reveals a lack of frequency at this level - the sound just seems to be missing compared to the original.

So there you go - don't let anyone tell you that MP3 is "CD Quality" or even close. These files were encoded with the latest LAME encoder.

Sure, in a perfect world where we are all on broadband and with unlimited disc space and bandwidth having only bin/cues would be the way to go.

Many people don't have such set ups so a compromise is necessary.

Originally posted by lordtrace+July 14 2002,08:16--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lordtrace @ July 14 2002,08:16)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@July 13 2002,09:08

<!--QuoteBegin-rcefiro
@July 13 2002,12:04

Mp3 is a lossy compression scheme, quality is lost at WHATEVER bitrate you encode at. I can tell when a song has been 'mp3'd' up to about 256kbps because the technology is so shoddy. Ogg vorbis on the otherhand is much higher fidelity and I usually cant hear any artifacts at 192 unless the song is REALLY dynamic.

256 kbit/s is cd quality if using Lame or some Fraunhofer encoders

any other encoder is prolly not even close[/b][/quote]

Any other encoder? Have you ever used ogg? I doubt it. It makes mp3 sound like shit. Seriously, don't speak outta your ass.

the games should allways come rared that way if someone has a bad connection it will be easier to download

Back