Bin-cue vs mp3-iso

To be more specific, in regards to Saturn games, does ISO-MP3 provide decent quality rips? How big of a difference is there between the two formats? Also, the only difference in quality would be the audio right? Would people prefer BIN-CUE rips over ISO-MP3?

The only substantial advantage provided by ISO/MP3 is that the resulting image is smaller. ISO/MP3 is slightly more difficult to work with and consistently creating a disc layout identical to the original is nearly impossible. Fortunately, most Saturn and Sega CD games don't really care which sector each track starts at, they just read from wherever the track happens to be.

BIN has a couple of notable advantages and one big disadvantage. It is usually more straightforward to burn and provides a copy closer to the original, but it tends to be bigger, particularly on games that have a lot of audio. For games that store all their audio on the data track, or create it with synthesis, MP3 will not provide a significant size advantage. In any case, a bigger image takes up more space on FTP sites and takes longer to download.

It's worth noting that cuesheets are not format-specific, and it's a good idea to include a cuesheet with ISO/MP3 rips to ensure that the resulting copies are as close to the original as is possible with MP3. This also helps eliminate some of the confusion that can arise when attempting to burn ISO/MP3 images.

To be more specific, in regards to Saturn games, does ISO-MP3 provide decent quality rips? How big of a difference is there between the two formats?

That depends on how well the mp3s are encoded, and how critical your hearing is. I personally don't mind good quality mp3 rips, but some people hate them.

Also, the only difference in quality would be the audio right? Would people prefer BIN-CUE rips over ISO-MP3?

Usually the audio quality is the only difference. However some games are very picky about post gaps and pregaps and a bin/cue rip makes this much easier. Also dual data mode discs tend to be easier to burn as bin/cue.

Which do people prefer? There's a whole spectrum of opinion out there.

Ive gotten some that are 98 .(crap)

128 148 are good

anything over 168 gets to be overkill and after awhile isnt any smaller than the original wav file .

That just my opion , sorry its been awhile since I played around with mp3's so I might have some of the exact numbers confused .

Originally posted by Xavier@May 17 2002,08:53

Ive gotten some that are 98 .(crap)

128 148 are good

anything over 168 gets to be overkill and after awhile isnt any smaller than the original wav file .

That just my opion , sorry its been awhile since I played around with mp3's so I might have some of the exact numbers confused .

Here you go: 96, 128, 160 (usually divisible by 16, and in some cases, by 8).

Personally, when I make ISO+MP3 rips, I do 160kbps bit-rate encoding.

Back