Bins?

Hi everyone...I'm sorta new to this, so I have a couple questions.

- I just downloaded Shining Force III. It came in 4 parts, and now I have 4 BIN files and a CUE file.

- Do I have to change the BIN files to ISO files?

- It appears that the BIN files are more space than would fit on the CD, will this be a problem?

- Are there any small things that I have to configure when burning the files onto a CD-R?

I've read guides on this topic, but couldn't make much sense of them, so help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

4 BIN files and a CUE file, huh? Can you provide more info on those 4 BIN files like:

[*]name of the file (exact spelling)

[*]file size (to the exact byte)

Also, open the CUE file with a text editor (e.g., Notepad) and see which BIN file it's referencing.

Hi, I got the size of the files and the text of the CUE files (there's one with each rar, I didn't see them before)

every cue file goes exactly like this:

FILE "SF3 SCENARIO1(US).BIN" BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2352

INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 AUDIO

PREGAP 00:02:00

INDEX 01 23:14:14

The sizes of the 5 BIN files are:

247,402,176 bytes for all 5.

Hope this helps!

they were also stored in *.rar, *.r00, *.r01, *.r02 and *.r03 file extensions, but I extracted them.

**just a question, probably not related, one of the rar files is about 7 mb less than the others, yet the size of the bin and cue file is exactly the same...any explanation?

Im guessing you're getting five of everything because you are expanding all five files (.rar through to .r03).

By doing that you are expanding the whole archive five times.

Just keep one bin and cue, delete the rest, make sure SF III has the right country code using Satconv (either DOS or Win32) and burn. I use CDRWin for bin/cues.

Mal, you don't know how happy you've just made me.

But...why, on some FTP's I've been to, are there 30 or 40 rar files for some games? Is there a way to combine them?

I understand that in this situation it's different, but what about the files that are like 1 mb each and there's 80 of them?

But just for the ability to play SFIII, thanks!

Game archives may be broken up into smaller chunks for several reasons. The uploader may have been on a 56k modem and wanted to use smaller pieces. It could be that the FTP owner is also keeping non-broadband users in mind when compressing.

As for 80 1MB pieces? Maybe to fit onto floppies? Who knows...

If you wanted to combine a multi file archive into a single file, expanding and then recompressing it to the format you want is probably the easiest way to do it.

Ok, that sounds good...but how do you do that? Is there a guide that I can read on this topic, or is there just a program that I can download? Thanks for all your trouble!

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (deptstoremook @ April 23 2002,08:13)</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#333333"><td>Ok, that sounds good...but how do you do that? Is there a guide that I can read on this topic, or <font color=yellow>is there just a program that I can download?</font> Thanks for all your trouble!

</td></tr></table>

You already have that program if you were able to extract the BIN+CUE from those RAR files you've mentioned above; it's called WinRAR I believe. Using WinRAR, just use it to re-compress the BIN+CUE files to whatever volume size you want (e.g., 10,485,760 bytes for 10 MB).

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceMan2k @ April 23 2002,10:43)</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#333333"><td>Moved to Tech Support

</td></tr></table>

You da man, Ice!

Originally posted by mal@April 22 2002,18:45

If you wanted to combine a multi file archive into a single file, expanding and then recompressing it to the format you want is probably the easiest way to do it.

To do that.

Originally posted by deptstoremook@April 23 2002,11:34

Is there a way to combine them?

I assumed that recompressing a multi part archive into a single file was what you meant. I wasn't sure why you would want to though...

If you meant that you want to extract the files from a multi file archive, you just open the first file (.rar or .ace etc) with your compression sofware (WinRAR or WinACE or whatever) and extract.

You don't need to open and extract every file.

However, if the game is in .iso/.mp3 format, sometimes the data track is one archive and each mp3 is in its own archive too. Then you would need to extract each one.

Has that helped?

If not, could you be a bit more specific in what you want to know?

[edit] spelling

Ok, I think I've got it now:

I open the first file (*.rar) in my WinRAR, and that will basically work as every file I downloaded? I'll try it!

Thanks everyone who took the time to help me!

Back