Bourbon

Ok, not videogame related. Some friends and I go out about once a month and do some drinkin'. We usually drink liquor only, some usually rum or bourbon and occasionally vodka. I personally like the smokey flavor of bourbon, but I bought some Jim Beam black label the other day, and that shit was terrible. I know that almost all liquors say "smooth" but a lot of alcohol really is a lot more harsh than other types with the same proof range. I don't really like the buzz the jim beam black gives, nor the buzz of evan williams, which is too mellow, kinda feels like I just got done smoking a joint.

I have drank some awful stuff in the past, usually because we buy the cheapest crap ($12 a 1.75 liter lol). An example is Philidelphia blended whiskey and popov vodka. Don't know which is worse. There was even some 100 proof vodka that taste like it was distilled from mud.

Any way, I have only tried about 5 different types of sour mash/bourbon (jack daniels, jim beam/black, kentucky tavern, kentucky gentlemen, evan williams) whiskey and would like to find some thing both smooth and some thing that gives a better uppity buzz. Any recommendations? Kentucky tavern is usually what I buy, because its' probably the best of the two cheapest ones (tavern/gentlemen). The next type I'm probably going to try is makers mark. If I don't find any thing a little more satisfying, I'm probably going to just start drinking rum only. Even the cheapest rums seem to mix well with about any thing.

Don't really drink bourbon, and I tend to stay away from cheap liquors in general, but for high quality straight drinks I prefer sherry, brandy, scotch and the occasional bitter. Are you looking for something that just tastes good straight, or are you more into mixed drinks?

Well, both. When I want to get messed up, I drink it straight. When I just wanna chill out and get a little refreshing buzz, i'll drink some thing mixed. If you know any other types and brands of liquors that are good straight, let me know. I like trying new things.

Sweet Vermouth Whiskey. Tastes a little bit like cough syrup. If the flavor is too strong for you, cut it in half with some diet A&W Rootbeer.

Fairbanks Port. $7. for the big bottle, 35-proof alchohol. Tastes like a stronger Lambrusco wine.

I don't like things too sweet or like sweet wine. I can't even drink spiced rum with out gagging, and I guess that leaves out brandy too.

Seagram seven blended whiskey is about as sweet as I can go.

I've been mixing this jim beam black with cranberry juice and villa park mixes (pineapple juice, orange juice, bourbon)..

Another thing I failed to mention is that I have acid reflux pretty bad. So, drinking a lot of cokes and such with the mix only makes it worse, even though some days, I can handle it. A lot of times, I gotta eat a hand full of tums in between getting messed up lol.

absolute makes some good flavored vodkas(example vanilla). i have to say i'm not a fan of vodka but with the flavored ones in like coke i like it better than flavored rums and i'm a rum drinker. ever go with jageurmister(how ever spelled) that's a good tasting liquor. if you like the taste of mint rumplemintzs(how ever spelled again). rockin rye might be too sweet for you but it's a good drink. yukon jack is good straight up. if you want to get wasted and like rum go with 151 and coke but if you have stomach problems honestly avoid it at all cost i drank so much 151 in my life that my stomach can barely handle a shot of anything. i dont know if you like black licorice if so try sambucca.

I would recommend Campari, either on the rocks or with soda.

A good cocktail I can recommend (in drink form, not as a shot) is a Surfer on Acid. Made with Malibu, Jaeger and pineapple juice. Pretty much just tastes like tasty pineapple juice. Fairly sweet, but more on the citrus side.

I'm not really a strait up drinker. Really there is only a very limited amount of stuff I'll dare drink strait up and Vodka is not one of them... yet Vodka is my drink of choice.

Stoli Raz and Cran: My #1 drink... it's fairy, but I turn it into a man drink. You hand me a fifth or two of this crap and it'll be gone in no time! ... oh and I'm bitter about this... Stoli only. Absolut is for traders and smirnoff is for cheap asses, or for me at a bar that sucks.

Patron Silver: strait up or mixed as a lime sour. Severely chilled on the spot... never in the freezer. I really hate it when people put my liquor in the freezer.

Dry Vermouth and Tangeruay: I'm into a very dry martini... rarely do I add any olive juice... not really into the dirty. Shaken in crushed ice of course.

Latvian Ass Juice!: allright, I don't actually like the shit, nor do I know what it is called. It comes in a clay corked bottle and isn't sold here in the states. My buddies wife is from Latvia and her mother brings it over everytime she visits. The stuff is horrid and smells like a bottled fart. DO NOT MIX... I repeat DO NOT MIX!

Sour Apple Martini Cocktail: I have a sweet tooth as you can tell. I use two of either a Gin, Patron or Vanilla Vodka base, Sour Apple liqueur and a splash of lemon sour mix. Sometimes I add some vermouth to dry it out a little.

As you can tell I avoid your darker aged liquors. Sometimes I pick out a bourbon or something in the whiskey family. Not often though. Usually it turns out to be Crown Royale... which is only because my buddy Brian can't live without the nasty crap and I've polished off all my Vodka.

I've downed quite a bit of smirinoff over the years, straight and mixed, but I do have to be in a mood to drink vodka. There are some days that I could puke just thinking about it. All I have to do is get to a good buzz before I can't taste it any more, and I suppose that's what drinking cheap liquor is about, just getting to that buzz where you can't tell much of a difference between one and another, and then going for it..

Yeah, I like sour or sour-sweet drinks, like juices, but not sweet sweet like southern comfort or spiced rum...

I've occasionally bought bacardi 151 and grain alcohol as well. Not really good for shots, even though some take shots from them lol...

I even like tequila sunrises... but damn tequila is getting expensive here, even the cheapest stuff.. Never tried scotch. Gin and tonic with lime is ok too..

Rum is probably the safest liquor that I've tried. It goes with about any thing.. 7 up, sprite, mountain due, punch, coke.

The only think that I can drink straight is a good whiskey, and even then not always. I got horribly, horribly drunk on some cheap and nasty stuff when I was quite young and haven't really had the stomach for it since.

I went through a big bourbon stage when I went to uni and stuck with it for quite a while. No connoisseur me, it was just Jim Beam and coke and I used to get hammered.

And I mean hammered.

These days I'm more of a vodka man. Usually I'll drink a White Russian or if I'm not feeling like having any milk, a vodka and tonic.

I used to drink straight vodka, but when I was younger...

i've always heard white russians are good... but i can't drink milk.. wonder what it would taste like with soy milk

I've been drinking this jim beam black a little bit each day and have pretty much built up a tolerance for the flavor.. i can pretty much double the liquor each day in drink mixes, and it's starting to taste pretty good lol. still a little too harsh to drink straight.. It's comparible to 153 grain alcohol in harshness, even though it's only 86 proof.

Back