Broken Genesis

I recently purchased a model II genesis at a thrift shop over here...plug it in (with plugs I know work) and I get nothing. Opened it up, no noticable damage to the PCB.

Are there any common problems I should be looking for?

Originally posted by ThatGreenJesus@Jun 10, 2004 @ 07:20 PM

I get nothing, the LED doesn't light up and nothing shows up on the screen. It's like it isn't powered up at all.

Check to see if the PSU isnt damager or has a loose ware as they do get broken easily.

Okay, turns out my genesis II RF was dead AND the LED on the genesis was broken. I powered it up connected to my sega cd and it appeared to boot up/start running the game (I waited for the usual accessing from a cd game) but I just need to buy a new RF/AV.

So, this thread now switches to a new question: What kind of LED would I need to replace the one in my working genesis II?

Can I safely add more LEDs to that one led in a parallel circuit or would that drain to much power.

What should be maximun amount of LED's attached and what should voltage be if more than one is attached to it.

I am asking for i thought about placing led's below the slits at the side of the genesis just as an optical effect.

A LED use approx 15mA of power...

So, in //, you may put 5-10 LED (75-150 mA) before encoutering problem (I don't know how powerful the genesis power supply is).

If the powersupply is weak, the regulator part of the genny may be very hot with more than 10 LEDs.

So, just have a try.

Btw:Before adding LEDs, plz check (with a contituity tester) if the on/off LED is connected directly (after a resistor) on the main power line (if its not the case, it would be great to find another point to connect them).

I want to see your custom genny! Plz, pics ;-)

Sure if i get to manage it without blowing things up, I'll post pics, but could take a while, I don't have a digi cam yet.

I've added, 3 to the one that was there.

But it's not worth the pic, the air slits are not straight upwards, they are slighty away from the user in front, so you don't see the light, only if your nearly above the thingie, so i removed them and put em below the catridge slot for better results, but same here.

If theres no catridge in and you open the slit with your fingers the light can be seen, but normaly you will put catridges in while the machine is off, so nearly no light can be seen while the thingie is operating normaly.

Sorry for no pics, its not worth it, just the replacement of the front led can't be seen, but

I guess everybody knows how a green led looks, not that intresting.

Maybe I should drill holes in the Megadrive and put the leds there.

Back