Building ISO images?

I'm trying to build an ISO image for my program, but I'm having trouble finding steps to do this on my native OS (Mac OS X). I have found the buildcd and stripiso method, but this requires usage of a VM or WINE, which I'd rather not have to deal with. Alternatively, just getting pointed at how to load my binary into Yabause would work fine.

Thanks.

There used to be a "--binary" at the command line as well as a way to upload binaries to an address in memory via the Yabause GUI. The Qt port doesn't appear to have it.

You can build an image with mkisofs/genisoimage. I've used this command to build a bootable image containing a single file:

Code:
mkisofs -sysid "SEGA SATURN" -volid "volumeid" -volset "volumeset" -publisher "SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD." -preparer "SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD." -appid "applicationid" -generic-boot ip.bin -full-iso9660-filenames -o output.iso singlefilename
Those parameters may be a bit overkill, but the result works on real hardware.

I tested the above command and I created an ISO that worked for under Yabause. I'm adding this to the wiki.

Bump.

I'm noticing a weird issue where the ISOs I generate work under Yabause (provided I do *not* select a BIOS) but not on real hardware. I can run Satconv on the ISOs and they look fine. Sending the binaries over my USB Datalink works fines as well. However booting disks on really hardware fails (returns to the multiplayer), it also fails under Yabause when I select a BIOS.

The only thing I can think of is that my ip.bin is invalid. I've being using one of of Vreuzon's page.

One thing that I've noticed is that the disc filesystem can't be empty, even if you're not using a first load file. If this is the case, just put some filler file in the root directory and it'll work.

A couple of coasters later still no luck. Adding a pad file (even zero length) to the iso allows me to boot it in Yabause with a BIOS selected. However, the disk does not boot on real hardware. I'm on x64 linux. I tried setting the -input-charset for the iso file to "iso8859-1" (as opposed to the default UTF-8) but that didn't work.

Is there any way I can grab your ip.bin that your using? Thanks in advance.

You can extract it from the serial transfer client image on my site. The header was written directly in a hex editor using Sega's spec and concatenated with the required binary parts. In addition to the security code and area codes there is also a small piece of code (distributed in object format as SYS_INIT.O with SGL) that apparently needs to run before your AIP. Interestingly this file is only referenced to in an example in the disc format standards spec, but it's included in every game I've looked at.

20 or so coasters later: The laser in my Saturn is dying. A small turn of the screw underneath the laser and I could successfully test a CD I burned. Turns out the ip.bin was not the problem. Thanks again for your help.

Back