burned out segacd...

prmths

I just got a segacd unit off of ebay and the thing doesnt work!

behaves as if it wasnt attached at all--- i plug a cartridge in and it plays it, i pull it out and there's absolutely nothing on the screen, cd doesnt spin, -- nothing..

a friend of mine said that someone here could point me to the right place to fix it ... i took it apart and i noticed a black diode close to the power connector.. I havnt tested it yet since i have no meter right now...

as a side note --- I also bought a 32x and it didnt come with the cable to connect between the genesis... could one be rigged up? I do have connectors that fit both ends...

Link Hylia

why don't you contact the guy you bought it from? there are laws against selling faulty merchandise.

Pherhaps the AC Adaptor is bad. try a Universal, but match the Voltage, so it's the same, or close to it.

if that doesn't help, try cleaning the contact points, between the Gen and CD sections

Black Diode? a diode basically transforms AC current into Pulsating Direct Current. a few other things are then put in the circuit to get true DC, or close to it.

unfortunately, I haven't looked at a diode in a year or so, so I can't remember if it's supposed to be black or what.

prmths

i've looked at all the connectors and i know the AC adapter works...that diode is supposed to be black -- it's a very common type... I dont see any obviously burned out components

another bit of info that i've found out about this unit leads me to believe it's fubar -- but then again i have little experience with segacd units....

--- when i try to pop in a genesis game cartridge with the segacd and 32x plugged in simultaneously... the game looks corrupt... unplug any of the two and it works fine..

and about the laws --- i was warned that the segacd unit was 'untested'

that was my own fault for getting it... i just couldnt resist $20 for a segacd when i knew of no shops in my area that sold 'em... --- i do now... it's a damn bummer... i just wanna try and get this one working before i crater and buy one from the shop i recently discovered in my area ...

Cooljerk

Er, just so you know - If you don't have the cable hooking up the 32X's AV in to the Genesis AV out, then the game will look a bit messed up... with the exception of Chaotix, which has everything except the background (go figure).

Curtis

If you have the connectors for the genesis/32x(and they need to be the full 10 pins), then you can just do a straight one-to-one cable - each pin connects directly to its corresponding pin at the other end.

There is a possibility that the internal fuse is blown in the SCD. This seems to be a fairly common problem with the Model 2's. This guy tells you how to locate and fix the little bugger.