burning the security track...

cdr-f1.jpg

check it out, yamaha's new cd burner can burn words and even images on the burnable side of a disc. do u guys think it is possible to now burn the security track onto a cd-r?

The problem is not so much writing it as reading it. We don't know whether or not it can be written, because we don't know exactly what it contains. Apparently, only the H8 microcontroller on the Saturn CD reader itself knows what the magic bits are.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug. 15 2002, 7:30 pm

The problem is not so much writing it as reading it. We don't know whether or not it can be written, because we don't know exactly what it contains. Apparently, only the H8 microcontroller on the Saturn CD reader itself knows what the magic bits are.

that h8 microcontroller thing is that a chip?if it is,is there hardware that can read the information stored on the chip? maybe reading that,would yeild some insite into the copy protection problem.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get the Saturn talking to a PC? Just like was done with the DC to copy games.

the com port thing on the back of my saturn ye.is there a way to connect it to a pc,and maybe see the elusive copy protection code,while its reading a saturn game?

damn beaten to the punch hehe,dude allready asked my question.lol oh well gmta eh

that h8 microcontroller thing is that a chip?

Yes, it's an 8-bit microcontroller made by Hitachi Semiconductor.

if it is,is there hardware that can read the information stored on the chip?

Possibly, but nothing that would be accessible to me (and most likely not accessible to anyone on this board). It would probably be easier to infiltrate Sega, Victor or Hitachi and steal the ROM image than it would be to dump the ROM out of the H8. There are companies that specialize in this sort of reverse engineering work, but they typically charge a small fortune for it.

edit: Apparently the fortune is smaller than I thought; I poked around and saw low-end estimates of $3000US for a MCU code recovery, so there may be some chance that this is within our reach... of course, that's still no guarantee that the signature can be burned once it's found.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get the Saturn talking to a PC? Just like was done with the DC to copy games.

Yeah, except that, as I said before, only the H8 seems to ever see the security signature (and, if the patent is to be trusted, it only sees part of it on any given boot).

i have more chance of infiltrating sega than finding 3000 dollers for someone to try to reverse engineer the chip.lol

oh well,think ill stop with these stupid ideas.people 100 times smarter than me would of allready thought of anything i could come up with.

It would probably be easier to infiltrate Sega, Victor or Hitachi and steal the ROM image than it would be to dump the ROM out of the H8

Edit: That gives me an idea
biggrin.gif

*goes and plays Metal Gear Solid 2*

I didn't really read above posts BUT ..YES it's possible !!!

Heres HOW:

New yamaha drive use SPECIAL CDS that have Extra die of some kind of burnable surface that can be not really burned but like melted in to some words (some graphics ... don't think so)

So ... donno but nice I idea to have some drive that can do such of thing ! .....

Looking for:

Drivre that can do this:

Burn: DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW/CD-R/CDRW/

Have: like 16MB of cache

Can: Be pluched in to: EIDE ... and can be use externally with USB2 and IEEE 1394

Extra: Can do that wrinting Letters thing and can PRint on top of CD
smile.gif

Good to have: upgradable chip to add features to drive when new features come out .... (remember burn-proof come out)

And can do everything include: ERROR Reporting .... as far as i know drive that have that features can actually return sector errors and fix it (don't know how) ....

I think I ask too much

P.S. .......

Above was a just a quick feature list of drive that "Nice to have" .

Nice to have drive

Originally posted by XAKEP@Aug. 16 2002, 1:38 pm

I didn't really read above posts

But you really should have. ???

While it may be possible to burn the ring, we have no way of knowing exactly what data it contains.

Originally posted by sat985@Aug. 16 2002, 9:50 pm

barcode right? well run down to your local grocery store an ring it through the checkout, theres your 8digit #

What does that mean? ???

New yamaha drive use SPECIAL CDS that have Extra die of some kind of burnable surface that can be not really burned but like melted in to some words (some graphics ... don't think so)

It doesn't need any kind of special media, and it can burn text or graphics (because text is just a kind of graphics). It presumably uses a method similar to Sega's for this, but similar != identical, and any difference in the base patterns used for the pixels could make it unable to write a compatible signature.

Originally posted by XAKEP@Aug. 15 2002, 10:38 pm

Looking for:

Drivre that can do this:

Burn: DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW/CD-R/CDRW/

Have: like 16MB of cache

Don't expect to get any dvd burner that can do dvd+r and dvd-r. Also the 16mb of cache won't happen either. Most will have 2mb of cache but will have a buffer underrun which is where most people's problems occur. 2mb of cache should be more than sufficient if you have bufferunder run protection

Back