Bush's Website...

Bush's Website...

When you start DC++ (Direct Connect,) there is a message stating that George W Bush's website is not acessible from outside of America, at least from the europe the author of the program claims. Its working from here in Canada, I was wonder if anyone outside of North America can confirm this.

The author claims that http://www.georgewbush.com works outside of America. If this is true, doesn't anyone else find this strange? What would be the reasoning behind blocking access to his site off from non-Americans?

Bush's Website...

It's been all over the news recently and yes it's true. If you try to open the site you get an "Access Denied" error. No reason has been given so far.

Bush's Website...

At first I thought it was to stop foreigners spamming his forum, but he doesn't appear to have one (I assumed he did because Kerry's site has one). It could be something as simple as a botched firewall/htaccess rule that was meant for a narrower ban. Until there's a statement I guess we won't know for sure...

Bush's Website...

Shows how much news I watch, saw it on a program, lol.

Seriously tho, there are a lot of obvious conclusions I was gonna draw from this, but none of them make any sense. I seriously can't think of any reasons why he would want to do that, unless it was unintentional. Still, no one is gonna believe the official line.

So where DOESN'T the site work from? And is it still this way?

Bush's Website...

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 09:33 AM

It could be something as simple as a botched firewall/htaccess rule that was meant for a narrower ban.

The filtering is done using Akamai's services, and is intentional. They do seem to claim security is the reason. Netcraft have a page on the subject.

For now us foreigners have to rely on GeorgeWBush.org for info on the Bush-Cheney campaign.

Bush's Website...

I've also heard that saving bandwidth costs is a factor, which to me seems only slightly less ridiculous than the security rationale. If they're worried about DoS, anyone who's going to do that doubtlessly owns a lot of machines in the US as well. ;) Perhaps he just wants to prove to the world that he really, really doesn't give a damn.

Bush's Website...

Nope I can´t open:

"Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.georgewbush.com/" on this server."

Bush's Website...

ExCyber: There not worried about a singler hacker, there worried about a DDoS.

Bush's Website...

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the most likely sources of DDoS packets are botnets on this continent. Even if there are substantial foreign networks, trans-oceanic links would probably be a pretty major bottleneck in terms of reducing availability to people here.

Bush's Website...

Why wouldn't Canada be an issue, for whatever their reasons are? Doesn't anyone else find that interesting? What about Mexico? Are they allowed on?

Bush's Website...

Everyone knows 99% of Canadians don't have computers, and therefore can't take part in a DDoS attack, even unwittingly. :p

Edit: Slightly more serious, it occured to me that if there was a DDoS attack, it might be easier for the Feds to track it through computers located in the USA, especially if they get their hands on a zombie box. Visualize the ending to Blues Brothers, only their victim is just some geek with an agenda. hut hut hut hut hut hut hut...

Bush's Website...

I think there is more to this than meet the eyes. I mean, think about it. It would be foolish to restrict access to the website.. It'll be throwing away oversea votes.

Bush's Website...

I love how Bush tries to pick on Kerry for mispronouncing the Green Bay Packers Stadium on his website! ummm nucloor man, Kerry mispronounced a french name... you can't pronounce ENGLISH!

Bush's Website...

Originally posted by lordofduct@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 02:37 AM

I love how Bush tries to pick on Kerry for mispronouncing the Green Bay Packers Stadium on his website! ummm nucloor man, Kerry mispronounced a french name... you can't pronounce ENGLISH!

[post=122393]Quoted post[/post]​

What does that have to do with this topic? There is a different between that and Bush's English.... Kerry was attempting to be "one of the guys" ?

Bush's Website...

It's particularly interesting because Kerry is also FLUENT in French! :blink:

Also in line with Kerry trying to be "one of the guys" he allegedly couldn't name a single player on the Red Sox team but insists he's a longtime fan and even praised the Yankees!

"At the fundraiser, Kerry reflected on his reborn self. He praised the triple victories of the Jets, Giants and Yankees and said: 'I came here to bask in your glory, came here to grab onto that winning streak.'" (Washington Post, 9/22/04)

In fact there's been a Yahoo! Group dedicated to Kerry's misuse of the Red Sox appeal.

Red Sox Fans for Truth

~Krelian

Bush's Website...

It's particularly interesting because Kerry is also FLUENT in French!

That's not particularly relevant, considering that we butcher names/words when adopting them more often than not. Just because something has a name with a French origin doesn't mean that we use the French pronunciation.

Back