C4 - 2005 & 2006 discussion

Cool idea Rockin'-B. I've played this type of game before on the net. It runs very smoothly and crisply on my Saturn. Good job!

As announced I'm working on a Saturn Game Tutorial which includes a complete Saturn Demo.

The demo already got about 70% of the features I would like it to have.

The tutorial is the thing I'm working on at the moment:

Any thoughts about the content?

How to ...

... set up (the dev environment) SaturnOrbit

... do sprite and animation preprocessing with The GIMP script

... convert PCM sound effects

... convert background CD audio music

... convert background images (+ compression)

... convert sprites and textures

... setup a sprite/texture table

... setup a sprite/texture table to be loaded from CD (+ compression)

... create textured polygons

... span a texture across multiple polygons

... handle controller input

... use PCM sound effects

... use CD audio

... use text display

... use sprites

... use animated sprites

... use polygons

... use textured polygons

... use gouraud shaded polygons

... use realtime gouraud shading

... test games which require CD access efficiently on real Saturn hardware

... create an ISO

... create an IP.BIN

... burn a CD with audio tracks

Anything missing, something out of order or what are your thoughts?

I just checked the contest page. There are only two entries. Does this mean that no one wants to code for the contest anymore ?

Hey Rockin-b

About your tutorial - how about including something on scrolling backgrounds, making background maps , collision detection, also does the Saturn do raster effects for splitscreens or colourbars ?.

LE

Hey Rockin-b

About your tutorial - how about including something on scrolling backgrounds, making background maps , collision detection, also does the Saturn do raster effects for splitscreens or colourbars ?.

LE

Thanks for your feedback.

The tutorial covers only bitmap backgrounds ATM.

It's main purpose is to introduce all basic stuff that's needed for new developers to start a Saturn game.

Together with SaturnOrbit, it should be a good reason to join the contest.

The demo is already quite huge and it will be difficult to keep it clean, small and simple.

I think there are other people having more experience in using the techniques that you mentioned. So maybe they add it later?

I just checked the contest page. There are only two entries. Does this mean that no one wants to code for the contest anymore ?

No.

That just means people don't know exactly what they enter for the contest.

It's still a lot of time untill the C4 closes. Other contests usually unveil entries at the end.

What about you, are you interested to join?

You made Death Ship, right? Would be cool to see you back on the Saturn train!

I would like to release my Saturn Game Tutorial & Demo this week, but my CD burner is broken and my PC is too unstable to test with emus at todays high temperatures.

It's almost finished. slPCMStat() returns the same for all PCMs. The other problem is in my attempt to load the sprite/texture table from CD(compressed). Only the first sprites are drawn.

This is an awesome idea...sorta like a how-to guide for new coders. And for veterans, well it's always good to have a reference handy when you can't remember how to do something.

Can't wait!! :cheers

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 03:29 PM

What about you, are you interested to join?

You made Death Ship, right? Would be cool to see you back on the Saturn train!

Actually, he didn't finish death ship; but I believe it would be possible for him to finish it in two or three weeks. Too bad he had to retire from coding...

The Saturn Game Tutorial will be delayed even more.

The most work on writing is lost because of problems with my iBook. The filesize is 0, so I have to take the last backup. That's really shit. Maybe I should look out for a virus scanner.

I guess I will release a WIP version of the demo that's finished to 98% for you to test. I can't test anymore myself atm.

:puke: :/ :rant :damn: :devil :(

The Saturn Game Tutorial & Demo will be out this friday.

The demo is finished for a first release since yesterday.

The only thing that remains unimplemented is depth cueing, it's undocumented, only SHOOTING and DRIVING2 use it, but copy and paste it doesn't work.

The wrong results of slPCMStat() could not be fixed, too.

The tutorial has grown a lot, some little topics will be added untill friday.

A lot of topics, screenshots, pitfalls are in it. Although it is long, everythings is well structured.

vreuzon,

can you tell us more about your entry Stéphano karaté maitre?

What has it got to do with with the game of the same name at the SSMTF?

Your entry screenshot looks like 2d, but the SSMTF version is 3d...

And what about the other multiplayer project you've been working on. I initially thought you enter the contest with this one.

Originally posted by a-dac@Sun, 2005-07-10 @ 03:01 AM

One question, do the entries have to be done using the SaturnOrbit?

[post=136523]Quoted post[/post]​

No. It's just maybe the best option to start on Windows operating systems.

And Windows is - I'm sorry - the best option for Saturn dev.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B+Sat, 2005-07-09 @ 12:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rockin'-B @ Sat, 2005-07-09 @ 12:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>vreuzon,

can you tell us more about your entry Stéphano karaté maitre?

What has it got to do with with the game of the same name at the SSMTF?

Your entry screenshot looks like 2d, but the SSMTF version is 3d...

[/b]

The game is in progress. It's a 12 player karate with teams. The demo of stephano karate maitre from the ssmtf web site features 3d karatekas. The goal was to have smooth moves (interpolations between animation frames) and camera effects. I still think it's a good solution, but I would need some sort of 3d camera to record the moves. With the sprite solution, it is easier, as well as for the collision part, and it's faster. You can have a look at the screenshots. Visual polish is not my priority at the moment. I already has sounds (thanks to your converter and code sample). I'll update the page as soon as i find the ssmtf web page password.

2p.png

spr.png

<!--QuoteBegin-Rockin'-B
@Sat, 2005-07-09 @ 12:45 PM

And what about the other multiplayer project you've been working on. I initially thought you enter the contest with this one.

[post=136507]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Buckminsterfuhrer was a multiplayer top viewed tank game. I was unsure about the final result of this one : it could have been fun to play, but I'm eventually more confident about stephano karate maitre.

Here is a screenshot

buckminster.png

Both of your projects look very interesting. Since Super Battle Tank 2, I'm very addicted to tank games :drool: . That was a sound when the gun shot!

The Karate game: how do 12 players fight each other?

BTW: before you make the final animations and stuff, please think about increasing the resolution. It's just a thought that I had with my projects, too: why am I using only 320x240?

Again, I want to encourage all of you to spread the word about the contest!

It's known that one knows all people of the world through e-mailing 6 stages: the people I'm in contact with by e-mail have contact to other people which all have contact to....and so on.

So please do support the contest by making an entry, donating prizes, becomming a judge or helping with publicity. There are thousands of boards out there and I'm only active at a few of them. And there are a lot non-english boards(anyone can translate to spanish for me?). I'm sure there are people potentially interested who just don't know about it.

Don't get me wrong: vreuzon is not the only one who makes an entry :lol: . There are a couple of people who work silent and some of them I was really surprised and proud of to take part.

To those people working silent: if you come up with your entry the last day before the contest is closed, then you either can explain me how you did it in one day or I'll kick you ass :agree . The rules want you to gain early feedback - for good reasons.

There is a handful of people who don't like to use SEGA libs in their games.

Of course it's more difficult without SEGA libs to reach the same level as the SGL games. It takes more effort.

So why not supporting those people by giving extra points in judging?

Maybe:

+1 point for people not using SGL, but the SBL or duck

(using SBL is harder than SGL)

+2 points for people not using any SEGA lib

(using neither SGL nor SBL is even more harder)

What do you think?

The C4 - 2005 is now 2 months old!

It's still not too late to start an entry.

If you want to support the Saturn homebrew scene, make an entry.

Even without having any programming experience, you can contribute in other ways:

we need judges and further prize donations are welcome, too.

Happy Saturning!

Rockin'-B

Just want to note that one can indeed make a usefull Saturn project within 4-5 days, even if you run into problems and are forced to do things you have no clue about. :agree

www.rockin-b.de :banana

Everyone agrees if I move the deadline to a day that does exist? :D :blush:

The new and correct deadline is 30th november 2005, 23:59 CET.

Thanks to Alenxandre for pointing this out.

I could add a mega drive 2 video game to the prizes like I planned to do....

....I only need a AV cable and maybe one or two games.

Anyone wants to donate such items to increase the prizes? Most importand is the AV cable, as the mega drive 2 is useless without.

The better the prizes, the better (and/or more) the entries we get.

Hello guys!

You know all the entries will be put on one Saturn CD

and I was thinking about if it would be nice to release a small amount of these CD's for real.

Now I'd like to hear you oppinion and thoughts about that.

My idea is to make the C4 CD look like a japanese Saturn CD, with transparent jewel case, a 2 sided inlay, a 4 sided booklet and maybe even a printed silver CD-R. Some service providers for such things even allow to seal the case.

The amount of CD's could be about 10-20.

As my printer cannot print on CD-R's, I've checked some companies for the costs.

Currently I'm trying to convince someone to design the graphics. I'd be happy to get some advice how/where to manufacture the whole stuff. Maybe I can convince a company to make it for free as a sponsorship, otherwise people who want to get the CD would need to pay the costs for manufacturing.

What's your oppinion or idea?

Back