C4 - 2005 & 2006 discussion

Well, I never really liked the idea to extend a contest, but on the other hand, the extension of the contest 2003 had a good effect.

Would anyone like the C4 - 2006 to be extended, to have a bit more time to finish an entry?

RockinB said:
Well, I never really liked the idea to extend a contest, but on the other hand, the extension of the contest 2003 had a good effect.

Would anyone like the C4 - 2006 to be extended, to have a bit more time to finish an entry?

Me but I have first to find something for the contest.

After numerous requests, I agree to extend the contest for one month. The new deadline is december 31st 2006. I hope it's enough time for you, guys. See you at the deadline, friends!

RockinB said:
After numerous requests, I agree to extend the contest for one month. The new deadline is december 31st 2006. I hope it's enough time for you, guys. See you at the deadline, friends!

Thanks Rockin'-B :)

For my contest entry, I'm currently improving the SGL export script for Blender (3d modeling program), that I wrote back in summer 2005.

BTW: I can't find my former topic about this using the search function. I can only find it in the google cache: http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cach...+Blender+SGL+export+script&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1.

I removed some errors, added coordinate system conversion and made it possible to export all or just selected objects.

Next I will:

- add support for linked data (saves memory for equal objects)

- preserve the object hierarchy

- add some Level Of Detail support

- support for texture export (either directly or through a tool that I can derive from my Texture Coordinate stuff)

Finally I'd like to:

- finish the gouraud support for both real time and static gouraud

- find out a way how Saturn specific attributes can be defined and exported

Thanks, mal.

I hope to have it finished for productive use until end of november. Then I will release it immediately, maybe it could be useful for other people who participate in the contest.

It will allow you to bring 3D models to Saturn. A better alternative to using the 3DEditor of SS-SDK.

Only two days left to work on your entries, hurry up everyone! Those who started an entry should give it to the contest, even if they had not enough time to bring all ideas in. Because when you don't enter, the time you've spent creating it was wasted, as far as prizes are concerned. Good luck everyone!

Today is the last day to submit an entry. Mine won't be as good as I planed it to be, unfortunately. It is a simple 3d demo. Seems like I have already reached some polygon number limit on Saturn, but there is no time left for the time consuming task of approaching the maximum, nor could I remove all clipping problems that I got.

Guess the other contestants won't be too sad about that, since this increases their chance of winning a high prize.

RockinB said:
Today is the last day to submit an entry. Mine won't be as good as I planed it to be, unfortunately. It is a simple 3d demo.

Anyway It will be a good entry.

Seems like I have already reached some polygon number limit on Saturn

Well it's an old souvenir, there was some ways to customize the work area to increase polygon limit, did you try all possibilities ?

, but there is no time left for the time consuming task of approaching the maximum, nor could I remove all clipping problems that I got.

Mine is almost finished I did the last screen but I don't manage to reinit everything to return to the first screen, it stucks the saturn, there is still 11 hours of work :)

Guess the other contestants won't be too sad about that, since this increases their chance of winning a high prize.

You underestimate your entry, on mine I hope there is less bug than last year :) I just hope to have a better ranking :)

At the last minute I got something simple done. Now that the deadline has passed I have improved some things, but of course it's too late. Perhaps there will be a a "post-deadline" release on my webpage or something. ;)

It was a lot of fun coding on the Saturn... for C4 2007 I'll start early!

Thanks to everyone who participated, for your work and support. There are as much entries as last year and I expected this could hardly be reached.

I've received entries from (alphabetical order):

Amon, cgfm2, Rockin'-B, vbt, vreuzon, Zaksund

The official C4 CD with all entries and the final ranking will have to wait for a short time. Judging starts in two weeks, because I don't have time before that.

Thanks and: "The better one wins!" (an old SEGA ad)

It's a shame I started a week before the contest ended! :flute: I'm actually working on my entry for next year! I can't wait for the compilation CD as I'm excited to see everyone's entries!

To evaluate and determine the ranking of the entries to the SEGA Saturn Coding Contest (C4 - 2006), I'm searching people who like to judge them.

Interested people:

1. need to judge fair

2. have to test the C4 CD-R on real Saturn (with swap-trick or modchip), spending more than just 5 minutes per entry

3. have to write short comments about each entry and their decision

The judges will get a link to a CD image on Sunday afternoon, 14th january 2007. Then judging stars officially and they got some days to test and judge the entries and write their comments.

The CD itself is multiregion and will thus run without an import adapter on every Saturn using either the swap-trick or a modchip. The entries are a mix of (mostly) PAL and NTSC TV format, but that is no problem at all.

If you are interested, please tell me via PM or by e-Mail: C4_2006@rockin-b.de.

Thanks for your help,

Rockin'-B

Back