Cadash

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
The Game of the Month for September, 2024 is Cadash for the SEGA Genesis (and a few other consoles.)

1725214409892.png

This platforming sword and sorcery mini-role playing game from Taito is a port of "The Arcade Hit!!!" of the same name, similarly ported to TurboGrafx-16. Cadash fills a niche that I feel is a bit underserved: the single serving RPG. That is, you can play this game in one sitting and have a complete experience. In fact, you must, because there is no save feature. (Please excuse all the stolen screenshots. I did not take any on my playthrough on my Steamdeck. You will notice names and characters changing.)

1725214657335.png

You begin by selecting one of two classes, Fighter or Wizard. This a downgrade from the Arcade version where the Ninja and Priestess are also available, with the Priestess seeming to have a superior moveset to those more Castlevania inclined. You pick a three letter name for the NPCs to address you. A character count so restrictive it would probably have been better to just have them call you hero. Your character is summoned to the kingdom of Dirzir by King Dilsarl. The underground demon kingdom of Cadash has risen up to take over the human world. Their leader, the demonic half human wizard known only as the Balrog, has kidnapped Princess Salassa. It is up to you to platform through five-ish zones, gear up, level up, coin feed, and hopefully defeat the evil Balrog and rescue both the princess and the human world. Also you can bring a friend to help as player 2.

1725215225482.png

The gameplay is basically jump and hit. Underutilizing the Genesis controller, especially for the wizard. Spellcasting is a bit awkward as you must stop and hold the attack button. However, being able to use the homing lightning spell makes up for the awkward controls on nearly every boss. The game will start you off in a dungeon without access to healing and keep you from the first safe zone via a boss. If you lose a life here, just reset. You need every credit and elixir of life you can save for the final fight with the Balrog. You gain money and experience from monster kills. You can grind up to level 20, because RPGs can never shake the Gygax legacy.

1725215494302.png

The game starts with a small dungeon, then leads into a rhythm of safe zone followed by another dungeon for a bit. You'll go through castle dungeon, flooded cave, forest, graveyard, and then finally the Balrog's castle. The safe zones and oddly placed shops offer weapon and armor upgrades, though most of the time they benefit the fighter more than the wizard. Exploration is not only rewarded, it is required. So is gold grinding. You will certainly want to buy two or three credits from the shops before the end. You don't want to be caught a credit short during the final boss (who you have to beat twice.)

1725215712421.png

The game suffers from many of the coin eating design choices that goes into arcade games. Unfair/non-telegraphed traps, limited continues, massive boss damage boxes and i-frames, and the occasional backtracking. Healing herbs restore a measly 30 HP upon hitting 0 HP, and antidotes cure highly situational poisons. You should not delve deep into a dungeon before maxing out your inventory with both. For some reason you can only carry 4, of each, though. In general, you will want to buy every item in every shop save for the equipment you can't use (which the game won't let you purchase anyway.) Pro tip: never turn your back on the stone golems.

1725216162953.png

I realize many of these comments are not selling the game well, but it is a legitimately fun experience. Right up until you get a game over because the Balrog wanted to go for a second round and you have already expended all your resources fighting him the first time. As to which version should you play? I think the Genesis may win out here. The arcade version may have an extra level, better graphics, and two extra playable characters, but it also a has a timer. This game absolutely expects you to grind for gold, and timing that grind is yet another unnecessary obstacle to an otherwise reasonably good time. Also, prices are higher, rewards are smaller, bosses have more hit points, and the arcade translations is somehow clunkier than the Genesis one. As for the TurboGrafx port, it's essentially a half-way approach from arcade and genesis port, and translated by Working Designs.

1725216694862.png

It's not Ys III, but it's still a decent time if you have 2-3 hours to spare.

Last edited:
Back