Call me a Philistine

I've gotten really sick of paying up the nose for video games. I don't want to risk paying 50 bucks for a game and not liking it. So, I go the cheapo route. Being gone for a year really helps this: it's nice to come back and see that Prince Of Persia Sands of Time is now only 20 bucks, or less. Anyway, looking through the catalog of games at Gamestop, I thought of some games I sold off long ago that I wish I hadn't, and two came to mind : Final Fantasy X and Kengo. FFX I sold because I didn't have time to play it and I was kind of tired of RPGs during then, and Kengo I sold because I was getting bored with the title and I sold it off as well. Well, lucky me, for today I found both games, FFX for 10 bucks and Kengo for a whopping 5. I decided to get Legacy of Kain: Vengeance, which is now only 20 bucks, but I'm pretty non-plussed about it : while it's pretty, it feels much more linear and uninteresting than Soul Reaver 2. (Actually, out of the Kain series, the only game I really liked was Soul Reaver 2 - it was well written, well acted and for being a platformer really well made and intriguing. Blood Omen 2 was horrendous and the other games were also bleh). All in all, a good buy for me.

I had hesitated in re-buying this game because of the horrendous reviews I later read about the game. Everyone seemed to have blown up because it somehow raped the original Bushido Blade series. I have never played the BB to any long extent, but I guess some people's feelings were hurt.

I liked the game because there seemed for me a real reason to train and work on your samurai. Granted, there were only three types to choose from, and the initial character-making decisions are very limited, but I still felt compelled to train my pre-made samurai. I liked to submit the Nippon dude to waterfalls to increase stamina, or cut bamboo, or any other task. And, I liked the fact that increasing your stats was really reflected in gameplay. In retrospect, this would seem to be a cheap way of making the player feel as if he himself has improved as a samurai player, while many real fighting games demand you to be good, period. But, if you compare this to an RPG, where people really just level-grind and, nowadays, make stupid shit to sell to each other, it provides a much better sense of progression.

I'm just interested if anyone else also took a liking to the game. I know that they released a sequel to it as well, but it wasn't released here.

Haha - forget about this one 😉 Another game to add to my list for future reference in my "What determines an RPG?" arguments. I did write ~150 words of "pure educational material" regarding the said argument with strong references to Kengo, but figured I would save it for later 😉

So I guess you can't rent games? Bummer. Another alternative would be to know a few friends that have recent games, and try them out there.

In regards to Kengo, I've played a tiny bit of it, but not really enough to pass a decent judgement of the game. But if all your really after is whether I liked it or not, then I'll say I initially enjoyed it, but the enjoyment wasn't staying overnight, most likely due to mediocre gameplay :banana

Back