Can a Saturn read CD-I Discs ?

I don't think so.
huh.gif

CDI discs can only be played by a CDI machine. Nothing else will do it.

Just curious why you asked about the VCD card playing it?

Well, I read DVD players can read VCDs but not CD-I because of the lack of "interactivity functions" in a DVD player. So I thought : "Mmmmmh... I have enough interactivity functions with the Saturn, maybe I just need to enable MPEG reading with the VCD card to read CD-Is..."

There you go, you now know the story
blush.gif

Originally posted by Djidjo@May 19, 2003 @ 08:47 AM

Well, I read DVD players can read VCDs but not CD-I because of the lack of "interactivity functions" in a DVD player. So I thought : "Mmmmmh... I have enough interactivity functions with the Saturn, maybe I just need to enable MPEG reading with the VCD card to read CD-Is..."

There you go, you now know the story :blush:

I think that by saying "interactive features" they mean " a BIOS with all the CD-I instructions/OS and hardware that is compatible with the programs contained in a CD-I disc".

After all, a CD-I disk is no different from a Saturn game, a PSX game or any other CD-based console game: the CD-I is just a console, with it's own way of doing stuff, like every console does.

This is like asking how to play SMS carts in a NES ;P

Believe it or not but VCD's are in fact fully functional CDI discs. IF you have a CDI with the mpeg card in it you are GUARANTEED to be able to play it. Assuming the VCD is to spec of course. If you look at the structure of a to spec VCD you will in fact find a cdi folder. This folder contains an application that is basically a fully featured VCD player that a CDI can use to play that disc (if you have the mpeg card of course). So in a sense a VCD is a CDI disc but systems like Saturn and others just don't fully implement the functions it would need.

Phillips released movies years ago (a friend of mine burned a few for me, i am almost positive that they had CD-I on the cover and cd)with the CD-I logo on them and they played fine on my Saturn with VCD card.

Yeah, but then again weren't these discs just VCDs? :) One would think that the Saturn, when playing VCDs, ignores the CD-I application folder and plays the movie data on its own.

Originally posted by BooBoo02@May 20, 2003 @ 11:49 AM

Phillips released movies years ago (a friend of mine burned a few for me, i am almost positive that they had CD-I on the cover and cd)with the CD-I logo on them and they played fine on my Saturn with VCD card.

I remember 'Four Weddings and Funeral' being advertised with the 3DO. Tech infomercials rule.

Back