Careers

lordofduct

Established Member
For those old farts out there with careers ignore this!

But for those youngin's in here, like me, What are your plans in life for a career?

I've wanted to be a math teacher, and in school for it at the moment. I've decided recently though that i wanna be one of them teachers over seas dealy things. Where you travel around places like eastern europe and parts of asia teaching in schools that are not to well off. YEY, i can't wait. only 6 more years of school and language training.

I didn't like the idea of going to University, so when I finished college I took up more hours with my part time job at Blockbuster. 2 years later I'm an assistant manager with a proper salary. In about 12-18 months I'll be a manager. After staying with BB for a couple years as a manager I want to leave and manage some other place that requires less work and more money. 😛

In today's economy, I don't expect to be able to count on a career. I'd like to be a research scientist if I can pull myself together enough mentally and financially to attend university.

There will be no damn jobs when the time comes for younger people. All things are getting offshored...

Meaning, unless your a damn nurse/doctor/psychiatrist... Say hello to India and Mexico.

Hello India and Mexico!

Oh, and I have little idea. Really, I've become pretty aimless lately. Stopped caring? I dunno.

Well, I've been working in graphic arts and priting for about 6-7 years now. Ultimately I'd like to start my own (mainly print/industrial) design and production studio.

I am going to attend a community college and get my basic academic stuff out of the way. That will take two years. Then i will go to the art institute of houston and get my associates dagree of fine arts and animation. Afterwords i will move to austin and do something that involves designing and creating videogame software and or movies.

When I was taking my technical writing class last year my prof told us all that learning to write a good, solid resume is important because we'll all be, on average, changing careers (not jobs/employers, but total career paths) at least six times in our lives. And I totally believe it. Therefore, like ExCyber, I don't plan on having a career. I'll be doing whatever I can and just hope to gather useful skills along the way.

And I guess that's okay for me, since I wouldn't know what to do anyway.

I'd like to get a nice job/career, but it seems more pragmatic to assume that anything I really want to do with my life will at least initially need to happen outside work, and manage things that way. If I can get a job doing stuff I think is important, great. If not, well, I intend to do it anyway. 😉

Back