Castlevania Series

I just got hooked on Castlevania. Before Bloodlines, I couldn't get into the series. I had the first GBA castlevania game, but I didn't like, and ended up selling it (I really regret it now and am planning to rebuy it after a while). I'm currently playing SOTN, which on a 5 inch sony psone screen looks delicious! I was wondering what other castlevania games should I play? I'm thinking about getting Castlevania Chronicles. Should I play the original Castlevania trilogy? Where can I find an Pc-engine emulator and ROM for Rondo of Blood? Thanks guys!

You're supposed to answer him, not add to the questions :
wink.gif
:

But it does tickle me to play the original NES Castlevania games myself... sure it can't be too hard finding ROM dumps of them plus a NES emulator...

Well I wouldn't want him to buy both the original ones and the chronicles and find out they are the same thing. Unless it's purely for collecting
smile.gif

Ok, let's see. First things first: Rondo of Blood. This is still my all-time favourite Castlevania game. To play it without a Duo you'll need Magic Engine, the best PCE emulator, and maybe Daemon Tools to save you the pain of burning this game (it's hell....). I can up the game and the registered emulator (it's not free
sad.gif
) to an ftp if you want. Let me know.

Castlevania Chronicles is basically a port of Dracula for the X68000, a japanese computer. This is also emulated very well by the WinX68kHighSpeed emulator. I can't find any links for it right now, but I can also up the game and the emu if you like. I highly recommend it, it's also one of my favourites

smile.gif
Either version is fine.

You might also want to check out SotN on Saturn since it has 2 extra characters which really adds to the game.

Then there's the SNES Castlevania's of course. Super Castlevania is amazing, and Dracula X (aka Vampires Kiss in Europe) is also nice (basically there are no bad Castlevania games, well except Castlevania 64).

There's also an Arcade game called Haunted Castle I think. It's nice but not as good as most other Castlevania's. It's emulated by MAME.

I'm afraid I never spend much time with NES games though, so I can't comment on them, except that everyone who has played them tells me how great they are
tongue.gif
. You can get the roms here. As emulator I recommend FCEultra. Have fun :
wink.gif
:

Originally posted by Sane@Jan. 20 2003, 11:48 pm

You might also want to check out SotN on Saturn since it has 2 extra characters which really adds to the game.

Richter Belmont is available on the Playstation version once you've completed the game.

The Saturn version looks horrendous though.. A really lazy port considering how the Saturn generally outgunned the PSX for 2d.

Castlevania 3 is the best in the series IMO.

Originally posted by Myname@Jan. 20 2003, 4:28 pm

The Saturn version looks horrendous though.. A really lazy port considering how the Saturn generally outgunned the PSX for 2d.

Well I wouldn't say it looks horrendous, in fact I think it looks pretty good. Then again I've never really played the PSX version so I can't compare it, but to say it looks horrendous on it's own it's not doing the game justice, I really enjoy playing it.

I'm a huge Akumajou Dracula/Castlevania fan!This is a list (sorry it's a little big) all of the Castlevania available games!You should play them all!

The best CastleVania IMO is the:Akumajou Dracula X68000 for the Japanese *Super* computer Sharp X68000( a 2D dreaming machine)!SotN is the second of course!I love Rondo too..that game will never be released in US or here:Europe!

NAME PLATFORM/SYSTEM REGION DATA TYPE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------

1.Akumajou Dracula-Demon Castle Dracula MSX2 JAP-NTSC 1MBIT ROM/CART

2.Vampire Killer MSX2 PAL 1MBIT ROM/CART

3.Akumajou Dracula-Demon Castle Dracula Famicom JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

4.Castlevania NES US-NTSC CART/ROM

5.Castlevania NES PAL CART/ROM

6.Akumajou Dracula-Demon Castle Dracula FDS JAP-NTSC DISC IMAGE/FDS

7-8-9.Castlevania Commodore64/Amiga/PC N/A DISC IMAGE

10.VS Castlevania ARCADE N/A BOARD/ROM

11.Castlevania-Player's Choice 10 ARCADE N/A BOARD/ROM

12.Akumajou Dracula 2-Noroi no Fuuin-The Accursed Seal FDS JAP-NTSC DISC IMAGE/FDS

13.Castlevania 2-Simon's Quest NES US-NTSC CART/ROM

14.Castlevania 2-Simon's Quest NES PAL CART/ROM

15.Haunted Castle ARCADE N/A BOARD/ROM

16.Dracula Densetsu-Legend of Dracula GB JAP CART/ROM

17.The CastleVania Adventure ('89 Version) GB US CART/ROM

18.The CastleVania Adventure ('90 Version)

19.The CastleVania Adventure GB PAL CART/ROM

20.Akumajou Densetsu - Legend of Demon Castle Famicom JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

21.Castlevania 3-Dracula's Curse NES US-NTSC CART/ROM

22.Castlevania 3-Dracula's Curse NES PAL CART/ROM

23.Akumajou Dracula-Demon Castle Dracula Super Famicom JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

24.Super Castlevania 4 SNES US-NTSC CART/ROM

25.Super Castlevania 4 SNES PAL CART/ROM

26.Dracula Densetsu 2-Legend of Dracula 2 GB JAP CART/ROM

27.Castlevania 2-Belmont's Revenge GB US CART/ROM

28.Castlevania 2-Belmont's Revenge GB PAL CART/ROM

29.Dracula X-The Rondo of Blood PC-Engine Super-CDROM2 JAP-NTSC CD/BIN

30.Akumajou Dracula SHARP X68000 JAP 5" 2HDX2/

3 XDFs/HDM

31.Vampire Killer Mega Drive JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

32.Castlevania-Bloodlines Genesis US-NTSC CART/ROM

33.Castlevania-The New Generation Mega Drive PAL CART/ROM

34.Akumajou Dracula XX Super Famicom JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

35.Castlevania-Dracula X SNES US-NTSC CART/ROM

36.Dracula X-Vampire's Kiss SNES PAL CART/ROM

37.Akumajou Dracula X-Gekka no Yasoukyoku- PSX JAP-NTSC CD/BIN

Nocturne in the Moonlight [MISSING!]

38.CastleVania-Symphony of the Night[MISSING!] PSX US-NTSC CD/BIN

39.CastleVania-Symphony of the Night PSX PAL CD/BIN

40.Akumajou Dracula X-Gekka no Yasoukyoku- Saturn JAP-NTSC CD/BIN

Nocturne in the Moonlight

41.Legend of Dracula-Dark Night Prelude GB JAP CART/ROM

42.Castlevania-Legends GB US CART/ROM

43.Castlevania-Legends GB PAL CART/ROM

44.Akumajou Dracula Mokushiroku-Apocalypse Nintendo 64 JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

(Real Action Adventure!)

45.Castlevania Nintendo 64 US-NTSC CART/ROM

46.Castlevania Nintendo 64 PAL CART/ROM

47.Akumajou Dracula Mokushiroku Gaiden- Nintendo 64 JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

The Legend of Cornell

48.CastleVania-Legacy of Darkness Nintendo 64 US-NTSC CART/ROM

49.CastleVania-Legacy of Darkness Nintendo 64 PAL CART/ROM

50.Castlevania Chronicle-Akumajou Dracula PSX JAP-NTSC CD/BIN

51.Castlevania Chronicles [MISSING!] PSX US-NTSC CD/BIN

52.Castlevania Chronicles PSX PAL CD/BIN

53.Akumajou Dracula-Circle of the Moon GBA JAP CART/ROM

54.Castlevania-Circle of the Moon GBA US CART/ROM

55.Castlevania-Circle of the Moon GBA PAL CART/ROM

56.Castlevania-Harmony of Dissonance GBA JAP CART/ROM

57.Castlevania-White Night Concerto GBA US CART/ROM

58.Castlevania-White Night Concerto GBA PAL CART/ROM

****Other Akumajou Dracula titles:***************************************************************

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------

59.Akumajou Dracula-Circle of the Moon GBA N/A ROM

(Chinese Version-Not official title)

60.CastleVania-Symphony of the Night-Greatest Hits PSX US-NTSC CD/BIN

61.Castlevania-Special Collector's Edition ?[MISSING!] Nintendo 64 PAL CART

62.Castlevania Collector's Series[MISSING!] PC US/PAL(?) CD/BIN

63.CastleVania [MISSING!] i-mode phone JAP ROM

****Parody Akumajou Dracula titles:**************************************************************

-------

Konami Wai Wai World Famicom JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

Wai Wai World 2: SOS! Parsley Castle Famicom JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

Akumajou Dracula Special: Boku Dracula-kun Famicom JAP-NTSC CART/ROM

Akumajou Dracula Special: Boku Dracula-kun GB JAP CART/ROM

Kid Dracula N/A ? CART/ROM

Wai Wai Racing GBA JAP CART/ROM

Konami Krazy Racing GBA US CART/ROM

Konami Krazy Racing GBA PAL CART/ROM

***Cancelled Akumajou Dracula titles:************************************************************

-------

CastleVania-Bloodlines 32X N/A CART/ROM

Symphony of The night Game.Com N/A CART

Castlevania Resurrection Dreamcast US-NTSC GD-ROM/BIN

i really liked the n64 castlevania game

then again i didn't like any of the other ones i've played except the psx version of sotn so my opion might be worthless

at the time symphony of the night was relatively different from the earlier "platformy" releases. I've never played part 1 (Racketboy, i beleive that chronicles is just the orignal Castlevania redone), but II, and III are really good. Part II, Simon's Quest is more of an adventure closer to SOTN than the original, and well done though the endings are horrible and make you feel like you did so much for nothing. Part III returns to "platformyness" and for me, it borders on frustratingly difficult, but staying within the boundaries of "fun enough to play". You'll be cursing crow sprites for a long time to come.

I never really got into the SNES ones, the obscure(to me) console ones, and you already played bloodlines, which was good but too short and not very hard.

Oh i also had to add, in case you haven't already, play the metroids.

Originally posted by Sane@Jan. 21 2003, 1:49 am

Well I wouldn't say it looks horrendous, in fact I think it looks pretty good. Then again I've never really played the PSX version so I can't compare it, but to say it looks horrendous on it's own it's not doing the game justice, I really enjoy playing it.

Well they basically just took the PSX graphics and distorted them for the Saturn's resolution, adding in some pixels to paper over the cracks. It looks incredibly grainy. I'm not saying it's a bad game, just a very lazy port.

nonsense.....they did nothing like graphics stretching of that sort....the graininess you're talking about stems from PSX transparencies having been replaced by Saturn meshes, which is what looks bad in the Saturn version. Other than that, I've played both versions and they look identical.

Super Castlevania 4 is quite good. lots of graphical effects, and you have 8 way whip movement.

a few say Dracula X SNES should never have been made, and to play Castlevania 4 instead.

Originally posted by Sane@Jan. 20 2003, 11:48 pm

To play it without a Duo you'll need Magic Engine, the best PCE emulator, and maybe Daemon Tools to save you the pain of burning this game (it's hell....).

Not if you can use Fireburner on your OS, then it's pretty easy. Most other programs it's pretty tricky though.

Taelon: Dracula X on the Saturn looks poo. If someone says it's poo, then it's poo. Simple as that
tongue.gif

Back