Castlevania Translating

So, i playied that version on the Saturn, but unfortunately it's all japanese, witch i don't like, so i would like to know if there's a way to translate it to english, even that we would need to change the characters, alltought it may work properly just re-entering the texts because we have the american algarisms. Anyone with me? Someone who can tell us how to do it?

Hooray! You are the 1,000th person who wants to translate a Sega Saturn game but won't get past inserting the disc in your CD/DVD drive! :party Seriously, You're going to have to do a lot dissasembling and combing through big files. We already have the PlayStation version that is much better. I don't mean to discourage you... :cheers

does the playstation version has the Underground Garden, does the playstation have the cursed prison, does the playstation has the maria fight when you get that goggles? if yes, then i don't need to translate it, althrought i think that the text files are on the same filetype of the ps version, inside a compilation with it, so please anyone?

The fact of the matter is, it's not quite so simple as you make it out to be. And the fact that you underestimate how much work it is suggests you don't even know the first thing about going about it, yet expect to do it.

If you want to learn how things work, go to like romhacking.net and start reading some hacking docs. If you're still interested in working on Dracula X after a week of trying to figure out things for yourself, -then- ask some questions about how to do some things.

Cyber Warrior X

Originally posted by CyberWarriorX@Sat, 2006-03-11 @ 03:17 PM

The fact of the matter is, it's not quite so simple as you make it out to be. And the fact that you underestimate how much work it is suggests you don't even know the first thing about going about it, yet expect to do it.

If you want to learn how things work, go to like romhacking.net and start reading some hacking docs. If you're still interested in working on Dracula X after a week of trying to figure out things for yourself, -then- ask some questions about how to do some things.

Cyber Warrior X

[post=145048]Quoted post[/post]​

Man, i started the translating process, the bad thing is that i cannot find the japanese characters on the iso image. By the way, i still prefer to see file by file to find where are the text speechs. Anyone can help me find the characters of the japanese on the default alphabet? Thanx if anyone helps :)

Using Hackman to find the files and using tile layer to get the changes on the letters.

I remember doing a quick run through of this game a while back and i dont believe the PS and the Saturn used the same file types, but I could be mistaken this was like 2 years ago, that reminds me of the lovly pics on the CD, especially the R rated pic,also i believe if u are just graphically changing it, the font for the kanji is in a file for Kanji.fon, but from my tests, i think the speech files lie in the PRG files, but dont take my word on it

edit, looking back at notes, yes the font lies in kanji.fon, and its 16x16 1bpp RAW, so theres no compression, PS should not have a prob with this

Originally posted by knights0fdragon2@Thu, 2006-03-16 @ 03:23 AM

I remember doing a quick run through of this game a while back and i dont believe the PS and the Saturn used the same file types, but I could be mistaken this was like 2 years ago,  that reminds me of the lovly pics on the CD, especially the R rated pic,also i believe if u are just graphically changing it, the font for the kanji is in a file for Kanji.fon,  but from my tests, i think the speech files lie in the PRG files, but dont take my word on it

edit, looking back at notes, yes the font lies in kanji.fon, and its 16x16 1bpp RAW, so theres no compression, PS should not have a prob with this

[post=145124]Quoted post[/post]​

so, the i will look at it, by the way, can i use TileLayer to change the fonts?

Ah, and i will google a translation to the Kanji alphabet, so i think that even if i change the graphics of the kanji font to english, there is still needed to translate the texts, so i would need time to find the respective letters of the alphabet. If anyone can, just give us a link to the text ones. Gosh i just hope hackman can find japansese letters. :(

nevermind about the kanji alphabet, i just got an interactive ditionary, if anyone wants it too or want to help giving any info, e-mail me at renanbianchi@gmail.com. Plus i will keep this topic updated about the process.

Originally posted by renanbianchi@Thu, 2006-03-16 @ 05:08 PM

so, the i will look at it, by the way, can i use TileLayer to change the fonts?

Ah, and i will google a translation to the Kanji alphabet, so i think that even if i change the graphics of the kanji font to english, there is still needed to translate the texts, so i would need time to find the respective letters of the alphabet. If anyone can, just give us a link to the text ones. Gosh i just hope hackman can find japansese letters. :(

nevermind about the kanji alphabet, i just got an interactive ditionary, if anyone wants it too or want to help giving any info, e-mail me at renanbianchi@gmail.com. Plus i will keep this topic updated about the process.

[post=145133]Quoted post[/post]​

i dunno what TileLayer is , i just used photoshop and saved the images a 1bpp RAW, and be sure to use a width of 16, so thats 2bytes per line

Originally posted by knights0fdragon2@Thu, 2006-03-16 @ 10:58 PM

i dunno what TileLayer is , i just used photoshop and saved the images a 1bpp RAW, and be sure to use a width of 16, so thats 2bytes per line

[post=145135]Quoted post[/post]​

Seriously, try to hack two or three 16 bit games before going to saturn, psx or pc stuff dude.

Okay i've tried opening the kanji.fon on tilelayer and i think it workd, the bad thing is that i forgot that kanji has 500 letters, so i guess that if i can find the speechs and change from kanji.fon to the... man i forgot, it's an english font wich tile layer opened and i could see them. anyways i need to find the text speech of the game. If anyone has those files, please search them using a hexadecimal editor, i will try that too mkay?

Originally posted by madmalkav@Fri, 2006-03-17 @ 11:18 AM

Seriously, try to hack two or three 16 bit games before going to saturn, psx or pc stuff dude.

[post=145145]Quoted post[/post]​

what are u talkin about, Ive done quite a few games, the shining games on saturn, jump superstars on ds, radient silvergun, the only thing i was showing him was where the kanji graphics are stored thats all, I know you cant just change the GFX and make it magically work, what he has to do is to go into the files and change the pointers to the different gfx, and he could use the kanji data to hold things like th if he doesnt want to actually go into the file and change the memory size of the strings

ow man i couldn't open it with photoshop, and i'm stil trying o find the texts with no success, maybe i should use aa disassembler?

Originally posted by renanbianchi@Sat, 2006-03-18 @ 11:28 AM

ow man i couldn't open it with photoshop, and i'm stil trying o find the texts with no success, maybe i should use aa disassembler?

[post=145161]Quoted post[/post]​

the text may also be compressed, so i dont think a dissassembler will help you all that much unless you know how to actually read the code

ok, so i spent the whole weekend searching thos language like files, but i couldn't find anything, but i think it's because hackman doesn't support japanese langages, what disassembler did you use to translate your games?

If its anything like policenauts, then the text can be anywhere.

I was suprised to see a vast majority of the text in the *.MOV files. Its uses avi format which is well documented, so you should be able to tear the file apart into its constituents and replace/add english text and reassemble with all the container offsets adjusted. Look for 'DLOG' in policenauts. Some strings where in some font file as well. Maybe castlevania used similiar methods?

You really shouldnt have to touch the fonts, im sure theres a complete english alphabet in there.

I havent tried to paste the sjis(or whatever it is) into babelfish yet. It should work;) I think mr urbina did some work on it and from his website (junkerhq) it seems they skewed the character encoding or something.

I didnt use an disassembler, i first start by eliminating files throuch CDMAGE and file swapping, then when i find potentials i use a hex editor

Originally posted by renanbianchi@Fri, 2006-03-17 @ 08:55 AM

Okay i've tried opening the kanji.fon on tilelayer and i think it workd, the bad thing is that i forgot that kanji has 500 letters, so i guess that if i can find the speechs and change from kanji.fon to the...

[post=145146]Quoted post[/post]​

:looney thatd be wonderful if there were only 500 Kanji characters (would sure make my Kanji studies fuck all eaisier). Instead it's just shy of 2,000 to be usefull (over 40,000 in all). Learning the language is far eaisier than trieing to translate these games. There really is not that much Kanji in the game that you can't just figure out. You don't need to know what a certain swords name is. Just that is gives you +5 int.

Update: mkay, i didn't tried yet the font replacement so i can't talk about it, but since the Kanji File is in a Font, it must be like that Tyle layer is opening it properly, it's just that i'm no reckoning the characters, so maybe, i said MAYBE i can change letter by letter(or word) and see what i will get. Well about .mov files, there aren't any kind of files, just 3 filetypes for each character(and stage). Does anyoone here has a full dictionary or knows where i can find one? Thanx again cause it's hard to see those characters and online dictionary only shows like 50 characters if you don't pay for it. I'm having some school problems(Studying) and i'm not having some time but i'm Brazillian and Brazillians never Give Up(That was poetic). Anything i discover i will update to you mkay?

Back