CD-rs going bad?

Supergrom

Ban Hammered
I recently discovered that some of my saturn CDrs (Shining Force III Premium disc is the one i am really concerned about)no longer work. I have a model 1 saturn, and I use the swap trick, but with these particular games it just treats them as audio cds (when i dont have my 4-in-1 cart in). The weird thing is that it goes to the 4-in-1 menu when i do have it in, but then when i push start game it just does the same thing. But i always thought it checked to make sure it was a saturn game before checking the cart slot...? I am just very confused right now. All of them are burned at 2x, and none are that old burns (im pretty sure all under a year old)I seem remember hearing that over time something happens that can make them no longer boot. Is this what is happening? thanks

Curtis

Established Member
It's possible that your CD-Rs are failing. If you used cheap/crappy media then it is likely. Where do you store them? Does the temp. in your location get high? Low? How humid?

CD-Rs are not a permenant storage solution (hell, even "real" CDs aren't), but if you store them in good conditions they should last some years.

Hmmm...

Model 1 Saturn

Swap trick

Cd-Rs burnt at low speeds

Some games stop working and you don't know why...

My Model 1 Saturn does the same thing. Tested them on a newer Model 2 and, not surprisingly, they worked. Although the quality of the CDs does matter -never use "Nacar" CD-Rs
tongue.gif
-, maybe the problem is in your Saturn. I bought mine in 1995 and it gets easily overheated and stops reading some CD-Rs that it doesn't like. Yeah, it's strange. A luxury-loving Saturn that will eventually play only original CDs. That's why I bought another one
smile.gif

mal

Established Member
Originally posted by Supergrom@Nov. 26 2002, 10:42 am

Im seriously looking into getting a model 2 saturn and chipping it, but the possibility of getting a 64 pin scares me a little =(

Just get a mod from Gamegizmo and you should be right.
smile.gif