Chanka released

Originally posted by Runik@May 29, 2004 @ 04:48 PM

I had the privilege to test it one month ago, and it was already impressive :)

eheh, you lucky :) For now it doesn't work on my PC even with the dc_bios and dc_flash. Maybe it's because of win98. I'm installing again w2000and will try the emu on this OS. :)

No HLE hmm? Interesting. Does anyone have a compatibilty list? Also, does the emu support running games in higher resolutions?

I never saw much point in DC emulation on its own, but playing DC games with netplay down the road will rock, I'm sure. (Just imagine Power Stone 2 over the net!)

but what about us smucks who have dc but no cables to get the dc bios and dc flash? what aboutg us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you look in our emulation section you will see the dc bios available for download.....

Doent anybody check here before asking?

SEGA SEGAKATANA SEGA ENTERPRISES0000 CD-ROM1/1 JUE E000F10 T0000 V1.00020000627 1ST_READ.BIN DAN POTTER STARS DEMO

Because all it is is an ip.bin for a star demo Dan Potter made. Its relatively easy to dump the bios for onself, don't know how to do it offhand but there was a post on another board somewhere.

I've heard it doesn't seem to run any homebrew yet, which makes it useless (right now) for DC devvers wanting to test their stuff without uploading it. As far as commercial stuff goes, it has come amazingly far, and speed is quite respectable all considered.

What'd be really sweet is if we could start seeing hacked firmware for readily available optical drives, so we could run real GD-ROMs.

the hacked firmware part never happened when people wanted to easily pirate DC games (much bigger scene than the emu scene with a lot more skilled hackers), don't expect it to happen now for an emu.

Maybe Sega could get in on this, if the speed is there perhaps we could see another GiriGiri type situation, with Sega releasing DC games on CD or for download. Highly improbable at this point, I guess, but I could see it happening in Japan. With the price of a used DC these days there's not much point though, I guess. (although the same could be said for the Saturn)

Just to add to the compatibility list, StreetFighter 3 Third Strike is running at about 25 fps. Thanks very much to the guys who let us have dc_bios.bin you are saviours. By the way that game is running on the standard alpha version, I havnt tried it with the capcom or new graphics hack yet, but will do later on tonight. Anyway cheers guys

i got the emu up and running. But how do i run games on it? It doesn't recognise them when i have the game in the drive. does it have to be an ISO?

Originally posted by Shitface@May 30, 2004 @ 05:14 PM

i got the emu up and running. But how do i run games on it? It doesn't recognise them when i have the game in the drive. does it have to be an ISO?

This is why I made the post about desiring hacked firmware for at least one popular, widely available optical drive. Regular unmodified CD/DVD drives don't read GDs, so you have to have images.

There are three different exe's for the emulator. There is the standard alpha version, there is a capcom version and a new graphics version. I havnt tried any bar the standard version yet. But I was thinnking a while ago, if firmware could be modified to allow a dvd-drive to READ a gd-rom, could it be possible to then burn the contents of that gd-rom to a dvd-r and to finalise or format the dvd in such a way so that it is recognised as a gd-rom? I know there would be an awful waste of space but hey....you cant go to a store and buy a spool of 50 gd-roms, and games wont fit on a standard cd-rom so what other choice would we have. It would do away with having to strip out certain parts of the games to make them fit, and also it would make backing up gd-roms without the need for the serial or network cable.

so far all I ever got to work was MDK2, all other disks act like it's an audio cd.. even those confirmed working by others. no clue why.

@junker: no. dvd media can't be read by the DC's drive at all.

Back