Classic Sega games coming to PS2

Supergrom

Ban Hammered
It appears sega will be re-releasing and enhancing some classic games for release on PS2, with the other systems possibly following. Some enhancements include polygons in Space harrier and true 3d dungeons in Phantasy Star. No word on release outside of Japan, and check out IGN for the full story:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/379/379166p1.html

It's all about Streets of Rage, man. If it comes out for the PS2 only, then fuck it, I'm getting a PS2 (even though I wanted an Xbox). It's too good to pass up...

Now, how come there's no mention of shining force??

that would be awesome, I definitly think it would be in 3d, hell every other game out now is. obtw in keeping with the classic sega theme, try Shinobi for PS2 that game is awesome. They really did the series justice, I was skeptical at first.

------------------------------------------------------

SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would be very cool.

I'd like to see some Saturn games tuned up graphically and released (Nights, PD Series, Burning Rangers, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Fighters Megamix)

On another note, I've heard rumors that Treasure is considering releasing Radiant Silvergun on the GBA especially since Ikaruga is going to be released on the GC.

Those new screenshots of the remake of phantasy star look really good!

You guys know how much of a fan I am of that series
biggrin.gif

Too bad I dont have a ps2

bastards - it all should be only on xbox ps2 has enough

even though ill be adding a ps2 to my huge collection but still i dont think its worthy to have any sega game F'n DC killer

Originally posted by googlefest1@Dec. 04 2002, 9:39 am

bastards - it all should be only on xbox ps2 has enough

even though ill be adding a ps2 to my huge collection but still i dont think its worthy to have any sega game F'n DC killer

Flukin pirates killed the DC. But I guess the PS2 didn't help either.

edit: and yeah, i've finally made my choice. I'm getting a PS2, for Phantasy Star.

Originally posted by Nadius@Dec. 04 2002, 7:47 pm

edit: and yeah, i've finally made my choice. I'm getting a PS2, for Phantasy Star.

I'd wait until the games are closer to coming out before deciding, they might yet come out on the others too (especially with the recent multi-platform announcement from Sega).

I can't wait to see what the spruced-up Space Harrier's gonna look like.. Still waiting on news of Planet Harriers for GC. Please Sega.. Please?

Originally posted by Myname+Dec. 04 2002, 9:58 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Myname @ Dec. 04 2002, 9:58 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Nadius@Dec. 04 2002, 7:47 pm

I'd wait until the games are closer to coming out before deciding, they might yet come out on the others too (especially with the recent multi-platform announcement from Sega).[/b][/quote]

Yeah, you're right. I was going to wait until I can smartly afford a new system anyway. Hopefully prices will fall again soon.

Originally posted by Myname@Dec. 03 2002, 3:58 pm

I'd wait until the games are closer to coming out before deciding, they might yet come out on the others too (especially with the recent multi-platform announcement from Sega).

Hopefully Sega won't pull a Rockstar, like with GTA where the PC owners had to wait nearly a year before GTAIII came out. I hope that they're all released at the same time. However...

A couple months ago someone posted an article about how many titles each system would get. I think PS2 came out on top by a wide margin. Perhaps we're seeing this coming to fruition?

As far as it looking 3D, check out "Zombie Revenge" for the DC. That project was initially Streets of Rage, but then they changed it into a pseudo Resident Evil game. If you do some searching on the net you might find an interview by Yuzo Koshiro commenting on it... Zombie Revenge is by no means terrible, but as a beat 'em up it loses in the fun factor area. You get to use guns, but that's not what streets of rage (and more importantly, beat 'em ups) are really about. Unlike Aliens Vs. Predator, or even Cadillacs and Dinosaures, the usage of weapons isn't balanced.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Dec. 04 2002, 8:59 pm

A couple months ago someone posted an article about how many titles each system would get. I think PS2 came out on top by a wide margin. Perhaps we're seeing this coming to fruition?

I think that was me actually.. I've been trying to forget about it and hope it was all lies
smile.gif

Games Are Fun, has comparison shots of the old/new games, with a nice character model from Space Harrier.. Hmm, tasty. Apparently there's going to be extra levels and stuff too. The first time I've regretted selling my PS2, but then I do love my GC
smile.gif

Originally posted by Myname@Dec. 04 2002, 7:24 pm

I think that was me actually.. I've been trying to forget about it and hope it was all lies
smile.gif

I'll make sure to remember that - this isn't the first time I mentioned that article you posted.
smile.gif

Space Harrier looks outstanding, and Phantasy Star looks pretty good. However, I'm a bit worried that the gamer of this day and age (re: graphics first) will reject PS solely because it's not 3D; case in point, the hostility the new Zelda is facing purely because of cell animation.

I'm going to toss this out there, because it might make for good discussion - here are two articles from a while back regarding Streets of Rage 4. It's actually pretty interesting, as far as the politics go. When I first read about this, it only concerned SoR4, but now, it seems, it encompasses concern for all these new remakes as well.

http://sega.gamerweb.com/features/sor4interview.asp

http://sega.gamerweb.com/news/0101/058.asp

Sega of America reportedly turned down due to them being unfamiliar with the series

Jesus H. Christ, what are they doing working for Sega? I guess it's a bit like Sonic Xtreme being canned because (largely) or Naka's dislike for Sega of America.

Not too sure about that first-person mode though. Look at a game like Metroid, that'd be total crap in first person.

I think there was a similar discussion a while ago.. To be honest, I don't think piracy killed the DC as the PSX would have died long ago if piracy had that much influence. I've only ever seen one or two DC copies around (car boot sales and the like), but you see shedloads of Playstation. There's actually a shop near me that sells PSX and PS2 copies, and that's despite the fact that not many people will be going off chipping PS2's when it's about £80 a pop. Plus the fact that DC games aren't easy to copy..

i know this is far down to be replying to nadius but i will anyway -- i have to disagree with what you people say about pirates killing the DC i didnt see any of that going on where i am all i saw was ps1 pirating -i saw i group of guys selling dc copies at a flea market that no one was buying from and then disapeared

what i did see was every freaking god damned store around here selling video games having the very same display of a ps2 and DC running the old dc football game and the ps2 foot ball game - where the DC football game had tall and lanky players that looked streched and the ps2 players looked normal -- and in all those stores i saw retards looking at the display and saying ehh look at that the DC looks like shit ps2 looks som much better im getting a ps2 - im glad i waited to see both - every freking store had the same freking retards saying the same words

What i said was rash, so now I'm going to throw up what i can to back it up.

Okay first of all, the Playstation pirating days started deep in it's age, i'll say 1998, That gave sony about 3, years to develop a more cost effective way to manufacture their playstations, i'd wager they were making a profit on their hardware before the pirating started.

Not even a year after the dreamcast was released, utopia started churning out games. And many people The dreamcast did have a small boost of console sales, but they're not sony, and they hadn't even had a chance to counter the pirating with new hardware, or even create a cost effective product.

i remember some dude in my A+ PC repair class in high school, passing out a list of the games he had, so he can give them copies if they wanted. I think there were about 30 on that list.

im sure that had a big impact

its just weird to me hearing that since to be honest the first time i heared of DC pirating was on this site - everything out side of this site was only pirating audio cds and playtation stuff

all i saw was something about sombody cracking the gdrom thing - i gues its just a matter of where i was at what time

so my view of what happened was retailers catering to sony and making the DC look bad to customers

Back