Cleaning a PoS2 Controller...

Cloud121

Established Member
Hey guys, I just got a used PoS2 a month ago, and the controller is driving me nuts. It seems to me that the previous owner really greased the thing up a lot. Every morning, when I wanna play PoS2, I need to wash down the controller with a rag and water, because the controller feels greasy, slimy, slick or whatever. My policy is to ALWAYS wash your hands before you play a game, so the controller won't get greasy. All my controllers are fine. My friend thought it'd be funny, and greased up my DC controller, washed it with a rag and water, and after an hour or so, it felt godd as new. I guess constantly using a rag an water isn't doing the trick. At my dad's, I played PoS2 at his house for the first time in months! And those controllers felt prefectly new. The plastic was dry, and felt great, no need to clean it. Bah... Should I use Isopropyl Alchol? Will that work? Hm...

Grab a Phillips-head screwdriver, open it up, and put the plastic components in a dish washer. I guarantee that'll work, at least to some extent.

And isopropyl alcohol should be safe for cleaning the circuit board, if that's necessary.

Putting the plastic parts into a dishwasher is bound to cause problems. Just take the thing apart and wash each piece with soap and water scrubbing with a hand washing brush. That's what I do for each and every used hardware item I get. The only ones I can't do that to those with proprietary screws.

I don't think it would cause a problem, I mean assuming you put it on the top rack of the dishwasher... or wherever it is you put plastic stuff in yours. Another thing you might consider would be soaking the plastic parts in a bowl of hot soapy water.

Well if you put in a system shell then MAYBE it would survive the dishwasher. But a controller would not only be tossed around like crazy but the heat that's in there might cause the plastic to bend, melt, crack or become damaged in some other way.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Aug 10, 2003 @ 09:54 PM

Well if you put in a system shell then MAYBE it would survive the dishwasher. But a controller would not only be tossed around like crazy but the heat that's in there might cause the plastic to bend, melt, crack or become damaged in some other way.

You have... one hell of a violent dishwasher.

And... heat shouldn't be an issue, since they HAVE temperature settings.

Mine works wonderfully. :)

My old dishwasher would probably melt em. My new dishwasher has a hi-temp scrub which would have to be turned off. It also has bins on the top rack for holding small things so they dont go bouncing around. Very handy.

You know by the time you load everything up in the dishwasher then wait for it to do it's thing you could have just washed the controller by hand in a quarter the time. Damn lazy people all of you. :p

Hmmm

Men don't be so lazy. Do it the old way.

Unscrew the control, take apart the electric parts, take the buttons and the rubber conectors and go to your bathrom.

Use an old toothbrush- believe me, there's nothing better for this work. It is easy to use, hard enough to clean the dirt and soft enough to bend, and small enough to enter to those small places like letters carved in the buttons and so that a dishwasher wil NEVER leave good enough.

It is a little hard but it gives better results than a big dishbrush or a dishwasher.

Back