close encounters

this is without a doubt the worst thread ive yet seen...
sarcasm.gif

Shall we begin a disscussion about the sony laser that is made to break? I mean how many PS2's are listed on ebay with that same problem? (oddly they are only american versions...hmmm)I think the best revenge is the fact that now almost all of the old dc games are comming out for ps2. They are pretty much no different other than a graphics retooling. I think that says also about the system, sony, and it's fans. Hell they are retoolong old sega cd games. I have seen Who Shot Johhny Rock and numerous others. I am just waiting for a retooled version of Night Trap that would be a hell of a laugh.....yes I have an original first run copy.......for historical purposes.

Originally posted by Agent21KGB@July 08 2002,13:31

Shall we begin a disscussion about the sony laser that is made to break?

No.

Unless you want to have it by yourself that is.

oh well people will learn one day and as a friend of mine just said"if thexbox or cube would of had more games out he would of of gotten one"

I think the main reason I never even thought about a PS2 is because the graphics are too poor. The maximum resolution is so sub standard that you need heavy anti-aliasing just to make it look decent! From what I hear, they render at a low resolution like 640 240, and strech the image to fit the screen!?! Not like the Gamecube or Xbox, which can output true high resolution. Heck, even the Saturn can technicaly output higher resolution than the PS2.

Ooh Cecilia. What you said is so very true but you have just set yourself up for flaming from the 'I worship sony no matter what because they have to be the best. After all they told me so and they must be better because they sold more units' crowd. I expect the first flame will probably be from cww80. Enjoy the attention but dont get too technical quoting stats to them. They believe that the proof of a unit being better is how many they sell. They dont see this as it really is, only proof of a good marketing system and not proof of actuall superiority. They dont realize that most people(ie kids or their parents) have no idea how to read the specs and they buy what is percieved to be the best by listening to marketing adds. How sad. The perfect consumers, led by the nose to buy inferior equiptment and believing they're getting the best. ???

Originally posted by falstaff@July 08 2002,09:50

Ooh Cecilia. What you said is so very true but you have just set yourself up for flaming from the 'I worship sony no matter what because they have to be the best. After all they told me so and they must be better because they sold more units' crowd. I expect the first flame will probably be from cww80. Enjoy the attention but dont get too technical quoting stats to them. They believe that the proof of a unit being better is how many they sell. They dont see this as it really is, only proof of a good marketing system and not proof of actuall superiority. They dont realize that most people(ie kids or their parents) have no idea how to read the specs and they buy what is percieved to be the best by listening to marketing adds. How sad. The perfect consumers, led by the nose to buy inferior equiptment and believing they're getting the best. ???

First off, that is by far the dumbest thing youve said yet,falstaff(i actually expected better of you)When i look at a system,i look at the games it has and the games it has coming.I could care less about hardware specs.Im amazed how dumb you made yourself look with your post.You basically said that a system should be judged on specs alone and not software.I mean by your logic perhaps we shouldnt even play old games, cause they were made on outdated(inferior)hardware.As far as the system sells go,if you ever actually pay any attention to what i was saying, you would of seen i was pointing out that PS2 has the most sells because it has the best games.

Originally posted by cww80+July 08 2002,08:16--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cww80 @ July 08 2002,08:16)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-falstaff@July 08 2002,09:50

First off, that is by far the dumbest thing youve said yet,falstaff(i actually expected better of you)When i look at a system,i look at the games it has and the games it has coming.I could care less about hardware specs.Im amazed how dumb you made yourself look with your post.You basically said that a system should be judged on specs alone and not software.I mean by your logic perhaps we shouldnt even play old games, cause they were made on outdated(inferior)hardware.As far as the system sells go,if you ever actually pay any attention to what i was saying, you would of seen i was pointing out that PS2 has the most sells because it has the best games.[/b][/quote]

cww80...........Ther assumptions you just made show a total lack of cognative, logical reasoning ability. First and most easy, we play old games for several reasons. Many have no equal, today, in story line and playability. Also is just plain good old memories of our youth. I love old systems and own almost all of them.

Secondly, I would be foolish to say that ps2 has no good games. It has several. Your bound to have some when you take a shotgun approach to game releases. But you can have the best of games and still not enjoy them if their graphics capabilties are not up to par. This is the essence of most peoples problem with sony systems. That and the harware problems on top of it. I don't see ps2 as that much of an advance, graphically, over the ps1. And yes, in todays market you must take this into consideration. Who cares how many games it has. I have played a lot of them. Not impressed. But that is my opinion. But saying the hardware specs don't matter is , to me, showing a fanatical mindset toward a system that you love(nothing wrong in that). You have come across, and maybe I'm wrong, as being such a sony fanatic, that you can't stand for anyone to say something negative about this gaming console or its games. This instead of possibly stating you realize it's defects but just enjoy it very much. That and resorting to name calling just because you don't agree with an opinion, do you really think it's necessary?

You realize, that if you had not posted that reply (thank you for making my call on who would reply first come true) and had just ignored it, it would have been passed over by most readers here. But now they are probably licking their chops to see your reply to this post. Oh well. We all live and learn.

I use to work at a Gamestop. We decided to have fun with Sony fan boys. We set up DOA 2 in both the Dreamcast and the PS2. They all raved about how the PS2 had way better graphics. Yet, when you looked at them side by side; the DC version killed the PS2 one. We did a similar test with Crazy Taxi. The PS2 had so much pop up and bugs.

falstaff,

When i said the hardware specs dont matter,i meant exactly that.I dont see why saying that, would say i was showing a "fanatical" mindset, as you put it.Obviously the system to come out first, will be bested technically by the ones that follow.Of course as ive been saying, specs mean nothing, cause if a system doesnt have the games to back up the price of admission, its not worth it.And yes youre right, what i said wasnt necessary,and for that i apologize.
smile.gif
Also, good call i did reply first(obviously)but i didnt flame Cecilia so you were only half right
biggrin.gif

<font color='#000000'>If specs are not important, then why do you own a ps2,(if you do indeed own one)? Why didn'y you stay with your origenal console? If the games are the thing, then old consoles have tons of great games. Why buy anything new? Because you want the best gaming experience and that requires a newer console with the most up to date specs in prder to enjoy the latest games to their fullest. The reallity is that there is no one thing that makes a great console but rather a collection of things that come together. As I have always stated, this is a very subjective issue. The reasons why we choose one over the other is purely a matter of personal preference. Even which has the best games is a matter of personal choice as threads discussing what are the best games have shown. Some people love a certain game, others can't stand it. But, in a discussion purely based on potential (ie what the console hardware is capable of doing) the x-box seems to be the winner as of which is most powerful. Can you really deny this?</font>

<font color='#000000'>here's my oppinion on games and hardware. first when i look at a system i look at the games thats on the system. next i when i look at the capabilities of the system i look for.... nothing!! i could give two shats about the capabilites of system, that is why i play older games. they just dont make games the way they used to. if the would come out with some more 2d(even in a 3d aspect) games they would kick frikin ass! however they would be shot down by the frikin morons thats think graphix is everything and dont think twice about gameplay. personaly what i think of any fanboy

that has oppinions of any system being better then the other is loser and should get beat with a bat, cuz they is just damn anoying.

my oppinion of the best games ever made were 2d games. they are.(in no perticularorder)

castlevania symphony of the night(which ever system)

super metroid

snatcher

Vay(just cuz i frikin almost cried when pottle died)

castlevania: rondo of blood

sekein densetsu 3

lunar and lunar 2 for playstation not sega cd/ or saturn for that matter(and yes i owned both of them for both systems at one point)

popful mail

and prolly abunch of games i forgot and couldnt remember.

now name one 3d game that can compare to any of these games on the list that u can sit down and play till your thumbs bleed and not get bored of(besides xeno gears and in my opinion suikoden).</font>

Originally posted by falstaff@July 08 2002,15:53

<font color='#000000'>GGrapjhicsIf specs are not important, then why do you own a ps2,(if you do indeed own one)? Why didn'y you stay with your origenal console? If the games are the thing, then old consoles have tons of great games. Why buy anything new? Because you want the best gaming experience and that requires a newer console with the most up to date specs in prder to enjoy the latest games to their fullest. The reallity is that there is no one thing that makes a great console but rather a collection of things that come together. As I have always stated, this is a very subjective issue. The reasons why we choose one over the other is purely a matter of personal preference. Even which has the best games is a matter of personal choice as threads discussing what are the best games have shown. Some people love a certain game, others can't stand it. But, in a discussion purely based on potential (ie what the console hardware is capable of doing) the x-box seems to be the winner as of which is most powerful. Can you really deny this?</font>

<font color='#000000'>Thats very easy to answer.I bought(and i do own)a PS2 because it will have new games for it.(plus it plays PS games and DVD movies)Graphics are nice sure, but a company can release a game with the best Graphics ever and it can still be terrible.The Xbox looks great on paper sure, but its crippled without a good variaty of software.(which makes or breaks any system)Obviously, youre right when you say this issue is highly subjective.Rightfully so, we could argue all day about, design flaws, and controllers, but at the end of the day it comes down to the games.May the system with the best games win...

:beerchug</font>

Back