Color Changing Paint?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
You know the paint on cars where it shifts colors at each angle you look at it? I am looking for a can of paint for a model I am making of a dodge Viper 2001. Not looking for alot of paint, just enough to get the model painted. Any help is appreciated.

Some body shops keep extra paint left from jobs in case the customer returns to have some touchups; also some shops will retain them to (legally) dispose of them in large amounts (cheaper). So there might be good chance they have some around.

Sounds like chameleon paint to me. I don't think you would wan't to paint a model car with that, as from what I hear it is extremly expensive.

From waht I understand, it's called "Mystic" and I think it's Duron that makes it.

Apparently when soemone wants the job, they have to go to a car shop that is licensed by Duron to paint it AND are not allowed to give samples of the paint, chips, or anything, and have a certain way they have to clean the tools that they use for the job.

It's like 6 layers of paint or somesuch.

I have a friend who is into Nopi and he has a car done in that paint job... it seems to "flex" to different colors.

Cost him around $7k for the whole car.

He was. However, Cynni mentioned a blanket prohibition on giving out samples. If they're really serious about such a policy, they probably wouldn't do it just because you claim it's for a model car, even if you show them the model car you intend to paint. Of course, if you've got a good friend in the business it's probably a different story...

Oh okay, I didn't realize that the paint ice was looking for was for cars only.

I did some searching, and came up with this mystic faq,

http://www.mysticcobra.net/mysticfaq.html

It says:

Can Mystic be obtained from any paint dealer?

No. BASF is no longer producing Mystic. There is a restrictive procurement process in place to insure that the current supply of repair paint will be available for years to come, and to preserve the limited edition status of the original Mystic Cobras. The procedure for obtaining the paint is outlined in Ford TSB #95-16-3.

To insure an undetectable repair, pigment from the same batch that was used in the OEM finish is also used in the Glasurit and R-M repair paints.

Note that there are some colors very similar to Mystic in BASF's line of Extreme Color (tm) paints.

So to get the exact color mystic would be pretty hard, i'm sure, but as it says, there are other similar alternatives...

edit: that the chrmomalusion you mentioned is and if this guy can paint his model with chromalusion, i'm sure you can too, as for where to get it, I'm stumped.

(Edited by Nadius at 3:03 am on Mar. 27, 2002)

I have a freind in the car body repair shop business whom I just sent an email to. Maybe he can get me some cheap :)

::Hears her name again:: ARG

Anyways I would LOVE to have a car that changes color in the temp! =D All I know is my License plate in VA was called "Mystics" surprised that wasnt taken lol

Mystic is the color that looks basically a greenish purple and then "flexes" into a purple/blue/golden/bronze/green/pink haze.

I wish I still had pix of my friend's car.

I also wish I remembered more about it.

It took them almost 2 weeks to do the paint job on his car b/c of the multiple layers of paint.

I imagine if you could find paint that is like, clear with a slight tint, you might be able to duplicate the effect.

Back