Communications

Heh, man, I REALLY need to get a PC Comms card for my 4-in--1. But the only software I know of for it (on this site) is for updating it's bios and transfering codes...... it IS possible to transfer saves too right? And if it is, where is the software? Or is the software on this website able to transfer saves too?

Edit: Also, anybody know of a USB/PCI/ANY other version of this card other then ISA? I dont wanna dig out my fossil of a computer for this. I cant even find the standard card for sale anywhere anymore! Is there any software that will let me use my parallel printer port instead? Or a guide on how to buld a SCSI/USB/Anything based card and appropritae software for it? I really want to backup my saturn saves on my harddrive. Maybe we can even open up a saturn save section here in the future? Ok...... so that last one is unlikely, nm.

Transferring saves is possible, and the included software should handle it. As the save memory is mapped into the Saturn's memory map like normal memory you can also use Charles MacDonald's tool, but then you must transfer all saves as a chunk and edit them as such too.

There are no Commlink replacements you can buy in stores (outside of Japan anyway), but you can build a Freewing interface that plugs into the parallel port. You have to adapt the software though, the only existing Freewing-compatible tools are for the Playstation.

If you want to try constructing an interface yourself, Charles MacDonald's Saturn Action Replay document has some details on how the card works.

The save game thing would be great... I had to do some really extensive searching to find a Quake savegame to play DTzwei... btw IIRC SSFEXE should also work with the Freewing (or so i've read)...

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Jan. 31 2003, 9:41 pm

btw IIRC SSFEXE should also work with the Freewing (or so i've read)...

I had a quick glance through the source code, but couldn't find any. It's not difficult to add support, the Freewing package comes with an example.

Maybe, but I know JACK about coding.

I found a place that sells the card for $10, but I dunno if its trustworthy.

If they ever make a savegame section you can bet I would donate a ton of my saves, if I ever get the card....

Sigh

I found a place that sells the card for $10, but I dunno if its trustworthy.

Too long/poor quality cable and the marginal reliability of the Saturn cart slot are much more likely to cause problems than the PC side of the hardware.

Back