Composite and S-Video problem

I have a Dreamcast that has problems with the display when using composite or S-Video. The brightness is totally off and I lose sync which causes shearing on the display.

VGA output from the VGA box is perfect, however.

I've used other A/V cables, cleaned the Dreamcast out using compressed air, checked the A/V connector for bent or damaged pins, and cleaned up some dirt on the internal row of power supply pins. Nothing fixed it.

I'm guessing that the chip that does RGB to S-Video/composite conversion is out of whack. The problem is much worse now than it was a year ago (last time I powered up the machine) so I'm guessing the component is failing in some way.

I could not figure out how to get the metal backing plate away from the main PCB, even with all the screws removed. It felt like something in the center of the PCB was holding the two together, but I couldn't determine what that was.

Any pointers on disassembling it? Even if I did that, what chip(s) are responsible for the composite / S-Video output and can they be easily replaced?

I dont know a whole lot about this, but Id imagine it would require desoldering a chip with several IC legs from the main board. Then even at that you may only be able to find another usable replacement chip in a DC.

With DCs going for $20 - $30 bucks for a complete system, it may just be a whole lot less aggrevation to get another one.

Back