Converting Saturn/Sega CD Case Art to DVD Cases

racketboy

Established Member
As many Saturn and Sega CD collecters quickly realize, keeping the original plastic cases in top condition can be a pain.

And finding mint condition replacements is even harded.

I think this idea has been brough up somewhere in the past, but I was thinking about it again today.

What does everbody thing about building a collection of cover/case scans that a formated for standard DVD cases?

Hopefully, there are a decent amount of Saturn collectors that have decent scanner and/or can find high quality scans online.

From those scans people like me would have to tweak and touchup the images to fit the slightly different size of a DVD case.

Also, what would be the best approach for economically printing a bunch of these covers?

I hate to think how much ink from a home printer they would use up -- and might not even look that good.

And places like Kinko are not only fairly expensive, but they might not like the idea of copyrighted images.

Please share your thoughts!

I'll post this over at SaturnTorrents as well and see if I can get additional input.

This is a poll? :huh

I hate to think how much ink from a home printer they would use up -- and might not even look that good.

And places like Kinko are not only fairly expensive, but they might not like the idea of copyrighted images.

If anything, the first step would probably be to actually try resizing and printing out a manual from the Manuals Section here and see what it looks like. If it doesn't look too good or uses too much ink, then perhaps try approaching a printing company.

The only way you'll get any answers to this is if you try it out.

ooop! I must have hit the "New Topic" button thinking it was in "General"

Can somebody move it? I'd appreciate it

I can scan the four Working Designs games for Sega CD, those are all I have right now. (I've pawned my Saturn/Sega CD collection several times) The only problem is the internals of my scanner are off by about 0.5° AND it doesn't scan stuff that is along the edge. That's also why it is taking so ling to do the magazines. But I can still get you some quality scans--just after extra Photoshopping.

EDIT: Err, maybe not then. I tried scanning Eternal Blue, the shiny parts like where it says Sega CD and Lunar look absolutely horrible, I guess I can't help after all.

Damn you DUD, I would of done it before shipping those games to you!

My scanner works great. I'll tell ya what though, I have a lot of very good condition manuals for Saturn games (not many Sega CD left... but what I have I can do). PDF format???

Don't work about the parts on the side where it says Sega CD or Sega Saturn. Since those are pretty much the same on all games, we can just use a generic template for that part.

I've never been able to print dvd or cd covers/inserts correctly. Tried it with several programs (the cd stomper one, some freeware/share ware ones) and probably 4 or 5 different printers. Most print unaligned, a lot of them don't even print the full image (meaning the image is cut off), some print the image the wrong size, and others just have only fair to bad print quality.

A better idea, for people that can't print them correctly, is to just offer a printing service for the dvd cases, for people that have super-great quality printers, if that can somehow be done legally :/

Ok, I scanned up the cover for Albert Odyssey first...

I wanna give you guys a taste of it before I spend all my time scanning everything. So here is what the outside of the case insert looks like, I put the SX logo along the side as space filler due to the off size of the manual. I'd rather that then stretching the image and distorting what it looked like.

Also it pays homage to where it came from!!! YEY!

18.5cmX27.5cm at 100 ppi (I have higher res, I shrunk it for demo purposes)

That measure is the exact measure of my spare DVD cases, so I used that as my standard.

I will also make a manual that fits inside the DVD case... I'll do this for all my Saturn games, and whats left of my Sega CD games.

Attachments

• AlbertOdysseyBox100.pdf
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 140
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 141
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 156
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 134
Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Mon, 2005-06-06 @ 08:06 AM

ya, doesn't have to be perfect. Just look decent and I'm happy. No need to replicate the fancy lettering, :p

[post=134998]Quoted post[/post]​

But do you want it to be readable? :lol:

You can't even read the title on this scan. the Sega CD part came out decently.

Originally posted by Dud@Mon, 2005-06-06 @ 04:04 PM

But do you want it to be readable? :lol:

You can't even read the title on this scan. the Sega CD part came out decently.

[post=135007]Quoted post[/post]​

We'll just have to Photoshop it the best we can.

Maybe just maybe we can find a font that is super-close to it and just put the type over it.

Are there any ads or anything that have the same text?

Originally posted by lordofduct@Mon, 2005-06-06 @ 02:19 PM

Here is a JPEG for lighter DL and viewing purposes only...

Clicky to make me grow!

[post=135001]Quoted post[/post]​

As much as I love SX, I don't really want the logo plastered on the side of each cover -- not sure if that's what you intended or not.

I realize you might be putting it there to fill in the extra space, but I kinda wanted to try to take up that space with the artwork itself. That's where the challenge comes in. We will have to be creative with each game on a case by case basis.

Also, I would like to keep the original scans backed up so we can go back to them if necessary.

Also, in this case, we would want the Working Designs logo and the game logo to be separate files.

The way I invision it is have an Freehand or Illustrator template made up for the generic Saturn side part.

This way they will be consistant, very clean (vector graphics), and we can have different templates for US, PAL, and Japan.

Then for each game we have the front art, the back art, and then logos to be included on the side.

Well I have other ideas... tomorrow morning I'll come up with some more ideas. Thats why I only did one, to see what y'all felt.

DUD: Are you scanning it as a photo or as a color document??? Try Document, it gets the foil to come out a little more readable.

Also here is another I did...

JPEG only at this moment.

Click to enlarge

Originally posted by lordofduct@Mon, 2005-06-06 @ 06:26 PM

Well I have other ideas... tomorrow morning I'll come up with some more ideas. Thats why I only did one, to see what y'all felt.

DUD: Are you scanning it as a photo or as a color document??? Try Document, it gets the foil to come out a little more readable.

Also here is another I did...

JPEG only at this moment.

Click to enlarge

[post=135027]Quoted post[/post]​

I have to scan it as either a photo or magazine, all the other options are greyscale only.

DUD: what do you use to scan??? I use a Canon LideOn 65 with Adobe Photoshop CS which has an advanced option that gives lots of features.

Mine I scanned as Document... due to time constraint. When I have more time I am going to scan each part of the cover with different settings so that it comes out nicer. Then put the cover all back together like a puzzle.

I'm just doing quick mock ups right now to see what you all like.

I got the cheap-ass LiDE 20. It doesn't do anything fancy like Color Documents.

the 20 has some descent options... my buddy uses that for his projects up at SCAD (savanna college of art and design). The software that comes with it suck though, nothing useful in it. But with Fireworks, PS, or Coral you get access to tons of options. If you bought it awhile ago just go to Canon.com and update your drivers.

Back