CPK vs. MPEG?

Taelon

Established Member
OK... I got this rather cool racing-with-Japanese-babes game, Wangan Dead Heat + Real Arrange. It's a double CD and the second disc contains videos to show off the girls (harmless stuff but cute, just in case you wonder :p)...

It's a Sega Saturn CD, not a VCD... it does support a VCD card, but it isn't required... on my Saturn (without a VCD card), it plays CPK files in software like any other game that has FMV in it... I'm assuming that since the VCD card decodes MPEG streams, there must be both CPK and MPEG versions of the movies on this disc... and it seems that I'm correct.

There are 3 tracks on the CD, with the third being a short audio track of a spoken Japanese message (copyright, I presume). First track is your typical ISO, and it contains misc. Saturn program files, the CPK files and another group of files with identical names but no extension - these refer to locations on the CD's second track. IsoBuster identifies that second track as a normal audio track but I'm sure that's where the MPEG video is.

Problem is, I'm unable to play those MPEG files in Windows Media Player... even after copying to harddisk and appending .mpg extensions... I tried extracting track 2 with IsoBuster as MPEG data but that resulted in failure as well...

How do I get at the MPEG versions of these videos??

For the record, I'm not a pathetic perv lusting after babes, I mainly want the *music* from the videos ;-) and I want it in better quality than the 22050Hz, 8-bit stereo sound the CPK files have to offer....

Any thoughts on this? Perhaps someone is willing to have me send one of the files to them, and examine it for me?

I'm guessing that right off the second track is probably mode 2 with the MPEG program streams on it, but you probably assumed that.

With isobuster - are you working right off the disc? You could try making a bin/cue of the disc and try extracting the files with and without filtering the MPEG frames. Alternatively you could give CDMage (http://cdmage.cjb.net) a shot at extracting the files.

Provided none of these work, email me (radsil@crackdealer.com)... this sounds really weird and I would like to take a shot at it myself. :)

ShinJedah: yeah, the babes are neat... :) I actually have both the normal WDH _and_ the double CD edition; turns out that each has a different set of girls... on the single CD there are 10 girls and on the double CD, 5 more (with the same 5 being featured in the video clips on the second disc)...

And yes, the VCD card plays MPEGs :p that's the whole point of it. I'm just not sure how exactly the MPEG streams are laid out on that second track on the CD.

RadSil: well, you know what - it occurred to me that IsoBuster will extract MPEG-2 data which is what DVDs use... but the Saturn video would be MPEG-1 so that never could work to begin with. *doh*

Thanks for the CDmage link though, good idea :) I will try and see what I can come up with there... that failing, I could copy the tracks individually and have you have a look at them if you're willing...

- Taelon

part of your problem may have been appending the .mpg extensions. on the vcd's i've played with on a pc, all the movies were mpg, but listed as either .bin or.dat, i can't remember which.

That is an excellent idea!!!! Thanks! It reminds me of at least one Windows movie player that handles VCD files in .dat format (I think), and that would be RadLight 3.x ...

I'll try that....

Quote: from ShinJedah on 7:31 am on Mar. 2, 2002

I've got the normal Wangan Dead Heat...cool babes!

I have the same game and the babes look like from some cheap asian XXX free teen site 'CUM & SEE'; but the thing I hate the most is how they act "cute" :p

Quote: from Gear on 6:32 pm on Mar. 6, 2002

Quote: from ShinJedah on 7:31 am on Mar. 2, 2002

I've got the normal Wangan Dead Heat...cool babes!

Come on...its a low budget game....you know how expensive women are? ;)

I have the same game and the babes look like from some cheap asian XXX free teen site 'CUM & SEE'; but the thing I hate the most is how they act "cute" :p

Back