curiosity

would it be possible to gear an snes game like they did with genny games on sega cd for say a saturn???

i think an saturn port of snes tales of phantasia would be way pimpin

It would be possible to rewrite an SNES game for Saturn. It wouldn't really be the same as a Genny->SCD conversion though, since a lot of the work of rewriting those goes away due to the fact that the Genny hardware is actually available on SCD. It would be a lot of work, but not impossible for dedicated people I think. Maybe some tools could be written to accelerate the process, though a blanket SNES -> Saturn translator probably isn't feasible.

As you might or might not know, i'm the coder of Stardust, the SNES emulator for Saturn.

Rewriting a game from scratch is very complicated. There is no direct conversion of graphics, the processor is totally diferent from any format the ones the Saturn uses, so everything must be ripped and turned into the Saturn equiivelent. And of course, if you want any correct gaming representation, you have to read all the source code, understand what it means, and then write equivalent routines in C or ASM. This is a hard task, feasible for simple games, but just plain _hard_ for stuff like RPG's and the likes...

Using a 65c816 CPU emulator could solve some of that stuff, but untill I finish the one i'm doing, there are no 65c816 CPU emulatiors running on the Saturn :p

Yes, I'm busy, and can't help you coding :)

it would takes tons of work to do.. nearly as much as rewriting it from scratch. the question is, is it worth it?

i guess not

hey takashi...how is the emu going?

i know like no programming stuff but i can help with something other than that probably, need some help?

Get me a PAR and a Commslink :p

Honnestly, i'm havling gripes with the tile graphics format of the SNES. I must have got those things wrong again --;

SSF (using Daemon Tools CD-ROM emulation), GiriGiri for quick tests (it doesn't support Daemon), and CD-R's for the ocasional CD release. SSF is accurate enough for the moment, so I use it often.

Back