damn "wholesale info" auctions

rant on...

Alright, I'm in the beginning stages of trying to figure out what current generation system, if any, I want to buy. I'm still torn because there are a handful of titles on each system I would buy, but not enough on one to justify a purchase (yet). Although my research is far from complete, I've been looking around.

Anyway, I've been looking on eBay to see if I could score a package deal to start me up. God damn if every other auction isn't some scam to try and sell me information on how to get "FREE XBOX, PS2, AND MORE!!!!" I am sick to death of these damn things. What's worse is people are bidding on them! And some of them are for $20! I hope people aren't actually spending money on these things. There's no f'in way to get an XBox for free, unless you suck Gates' cock or something. Christ, it's like those pyramid schemes in a way. If everyone could get a PS2 for free, who are these morons actually PAYING for them?

Shit, someone tell me I'm not insane and that this is impossible to do. I've seen so many of these auctions lately I'm almost starting to believe it's possible. If it were, it would certainly make my dilemma for choosing a system that much easier to solve.

rant off...

You know, there IS actually ONE person who gets his new gaming system for FREE with those auctions :
wink.gif
:

By the way, how are you going with your gf4?

Originally posted by Gear@Dec. 27 2002, 12:26 am

You know, there IS actually ONE person who gets his new gaming system for FREE with those auctions :
wink.gif
:

By the way, how are you going with your gf4?

Heh, good point...

And my GF4 seems to be working fine for the moment. I've used my printer a few times and it hasn't caused my computer to reset yet. All games I've tried with it so far seem to be working just fine. The only problem I'm having with it now is that the stupid nVIEW desktop manager thing keeps loading no matter how many times I disable it. I didn't have that problem last time. I've run msconfig and unchecked nwiz.exe in startup, but it still loads. I don't know where from.

I appreciate your and everyone else's help though. This one of the regular places I go to seek tech help with my box here. Just wait until I install WinXP. You'll be flooded with questions. But I don't plan on doing that for a while now, so you've got some time to prepare
smile.gif
Thanks again guys!

Actually, aside from remote desktop there isn't that much cold hard difference. Mostly the difference is talked up by Microsoft as being abstract stuff like 'increased performance' and 'more stability'. Pro is basically Home with extras that 90% of people won't need. Personally I'd say anyone who pays extra just for that could be just as guilty of being a 'moron' as someone who gets an OS to save money.

Pro also has a whole bunch of features (auditing, performance logs, etc) that enable a System Admin to monitor more aspects of a network/system, but generally aren't all that useful to the average user.

As Myname says, basically only useful to <10% of users. Other than that, any flavour of XP is good. I'm finding I really like the OS.
smile.gif

Yeah when I first saw xp this time last year I hated it , seemed like microsoft took away alot of the power from the users , also every new os comes out it is more of a resource hog and after I removed all unnessary program off my computer xp still seemed to be taking up 1.5 gigs geez . Well my new laptop has xp (homo user) version on it ive been playing with it now for the last 2 month now and its kinda grown on me . There are gui's and tweaks out there to do most anything you want i wish it had more color schemes i can only find 3 so far . Anyways I doubt ill be installing windows 98se on it now especially with all the (probably) unsupported stuff the laptop has in it .

I doubt id use any of those feature of pro ....but is dictaction a part of pro ? Im using office 2000 pro and cant find it anywhere .

The MS website says that you need Pro to get a machine hooked up to a large (e.g. school) network. What's the deal with that? Also, I've heard about a "corporate" version of XP. Is that just a particular selection of settings during an XP Pro install?

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I'll probably wait until the summer when classes are over to do anything major, so it's all quite a ways off. Right now I just need this thing to write papers and surf the net!

Originally posted by Xavier+Dec. 29 2002, 5:57 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xavier @ Dec. 29 2002, 5:57 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>There are gui's and tweaks out there to do most anything you want i wish it had more color schemes i can only find 3 so far .[/b]

If your biggest gripe is that it's the wrong colour there can't be much wrong with it.

<!--QuoteBegin-Quadriflax
@Dec. 29 2002, 5:58 pm

The MS website says that you need Pro to get a machine hooked up to a large (e.g. school) network. What's the deal with that?[/quote]

They might mean the Active Directory features.

Also, I've heard about a "corporate" version of XP. Is that just a particular selection of settings during an XP Pro install?

There's the 64-bit version of XP for Itaniums (and probably Hammer/Opteron later) and for Windows 2000 there's the Advanced Server and Datacenter Server versions.

EDIT: The "corporate deployment" (or whatever it's called) installation is for companies and such that want to install a customized version on many machines.

Or you can just get linux and winex and do everything you can do in windows and ALOT more and its free! How cool is that? It's not too hard to learn either.
cool.gif

pro allows you a whole bunch of features like built in support for wireless networking which ms left out of home oops... and it supports more than one processor like home so if you get a HT enable P4 you can't use the performance boost from it with Home. Corporate edition of pro lets you get by having to reg it with Ms. and as for linux you have to buy wine and even then it doesn't support everything
tongue.gif
ehehehe. why not just have dual boot. HeH that way you can enjoy both.

and for the extra like 100 bucks i enjoy the features pro has. like netbui in Xp is great only way you can network it to 98 and 95 machines. anyone who uses ME well no comment
biggrin.gif

But one thing revert Xp to the old windows settings and take out all the useless gfx enhancements except the text smoother, and it runs faster than 2000 and its stable. i have had xp installed since i got my hands on a shady version and then bought it and replaced the code using shady software and its just starting to show the signs of my abuse. the cd rom doesn't refresh the name or the image of the disc anymore but proggies can still access and recognize the discs all proper like so i guess its all good i reinstall in new year. hehehehe.

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Dec. 29 2002, 10:15 pm

and as for linux you have to buy wine

Why?

and for the extra like 100 bucks i enjoy the features pro has. like netbui in Xp is great only way you can network it to 98 and 95 machines.

No need for the Pro version.

But one thing revert Xp to the old windows settings and take out all the useless gfx enhancements except the text smoother, and it runs faster than 2000 and its stable.

Some of the new graphics cards (eg. Matrox Parhelia) claim GDI+ acceleration, that might make the new UI a bit faster. Eventually Microsoft will probably also move to a Quartz Extreme-like UI where the graphics card performs a larger part of the operations.

heh start working at best buy and get microsoft to give you an xbox for 50$ and winxp pro for free ect for taking online propoganda training, just payt shipping heh.. like me
smile.gif

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Dec. 29 2002, 3:15 pm

pro allows you a whole bunch of features like built in support for wireless networking which ms left out of home oops

My home xp appers to have wan and wifi support though I havent used it yet .

I have a built in wifi I cant wait to use it .

other ebay auction that makes browsing suck :

secrets of ebay cd

snipe like a pro

70 inch projector tv $20.00

copied music , warez or roms .

Other misc info cd's or files .

And other mlm's

BTW I saw a user here bid on the 70' tv projector was it worth it is it decent quality was it a fun project ?

BTW I saw a user here bid on the 70' tv projector was it worth it is it decent quality was it a fun project ?

I've heard that they can work, but you'd need a wall large enough, a pitch black room, and the picture would still be pretty crappy. More of a low-grade science project than a useful tool.

EDIT: The "corporate deployment" (or whatever it's called) installation is for companies and such that want to install a customized version on many machines.

So how does it differ from regular XP Pro? Just in the number of machines it can install on without tripping that activation thing? Or is the difference between the two in the actual setup and operation of the OS?

As far as I know, the only real difference between MS corporate versions and standard versions of their programs is the type of product keys they accept. XP corp edition is supposed to be installed with certain corporate keys that bypass the activation process so that network administrators can install it in a bunch of computers withouth the annoying activation. These keys are provided by MS at the time of purchase or through their corporate website I think. Also, corp CDs have a legend that says they must not be installed without paying for the license first.

As for differences between XP home vs. Pro, XP pro provides better access control on every single file (you can set permissions on which users can and cannot access certain files, etc), and a lot of network functionality that was dummied out in home ed, like joining corporate domains, centralized user management, and setting access restrictions to your shared folders and drives among other stuff.

*WHINE MODE ON*

Geez, people. I come here expecting to read an interesting thread about wholesale spammers on eBay, and other than the first post or two, it's nothing but WinXP crap. This is the worst case of off-topic I've ever seen. And I say, BAH!!!

*WHINE MODE OFF*

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec. 30 2002, 2:31 pm

*WHINE MODE ON*

Geez, people. I come here expecting to read an interesting thread about wholesale spammers on eBay, and other than the first post or two, it's nothing but WinXP crap. This is the worst case of off-topic I've ever seen. And I say, BAH!!!

*WHINE MODE OFF*

Perhaps I already said everything that could be said? Or maybe you'd like to add something? hmmmMMM?
tongue.gif

Very well.
tongue.gif

OK, yeah, so these spam auctions do suck. But at least you CAN sorta rely on them being low-priced so unless you sort your search results to "lowest prices first" (I prefer newest first and those ending first), they don't really get in the way. It depends on your keyword search and whether it includes descriptions or just titles, too.

Can't really fault eBay for it either, they dislike it as much as the users do, but what can they do? Even if some sort of filter were feasible, it would invariably screen out legitimate auctions and that would be unacceptable. Blaming eBay for wholesale crap is like blaming all of the Internet for email spam...

Don't really know what else to add... It's rather like seeing a list of email headers - nobody forces you to read the messages, just scroll past the annoying subjects and get down on what really interests you.

HmmmmmMMM? Better?
tongue.gif

Back