Date representation in savefiles

I'm making a savefile editor for a favorite Saturn game of mine, and while the date isn't actually important, I want to know how it works anyway. When using the standard Saturn method where the internal and external backup rams are represented by a single binary file each, complete with every-other-byte padding, it stores the date as a four byte number recording the number of minutes that have passed since midnight of 1/1/1980. 01/01/1980 + 01 06 3E A3 (17,186,467 minutes) = Sept/04/2012 01:07AM - spot on.

However, when using the Hook Backup Libary option of SSF, it stores the date in the file as something else entirely. When saving a game a few minutes apart, the date changes from 3D 04 49 10 to 6D 04 49 10. I tried little endian, big endian, straight forward, straight backward, but I couldn't get any numbers for date math that made sense. At least not in the conventional way, like Unix Epoch, Dos Epoch, the starting date the Saturn shows when you have to set the date and time after it's been lost, etc.

Do you guys happen to know what representation SSF is using for date representation in Hook Backup files?

Have you tried asking the SSF author directly? Failing that, you could write a Saturn program that lets you enter a timestamp, calls the pack function and prints out the results.

antime said:
Have you tried asking the SSF author directly? Failing that, you could write a Saturn program that lets you enter a timestamp, calls the pack function and prints out the results.

The author is Japanese, and so is his site.

That doesn't mean he doesn't speak English. Just send him a message on Twitter, the worst thing that could happen is that he ignores you.

Back