Datel CD-X (CDX),... again

just got my mits on a Datel CDX for the original model mega cd. On the box, it says that it is compatabile with any combination of genesis/cd/megadrive. I tried searching the forums for a definative compatabilty list but the only really info came from Iceman saying that it isn't to great with a genesis.

I have a genesis model 1 and a sega cd model 1, just wondering how it is with this combo? I also have got a mega-drive key cart that has all of the micro switches on the back, would it make a difference if i piggybacked the cdx on it?

(haven't received the cdx yet, but is on its way)

just an update,

got it today and it works great on my US sega cd 1. The cart has abios revision of 1.70. all of my pal games boot up now. Although they all play alot faster then normal which is understandable. Some have minor glitches but for the most part it is really good.

Where's the best place to get my hands on one of these now and how much do they generally go for? I've checked all my regular sources and only one turned up on ebay for £50 (about $90)

I'm interested in getting a mega CD but only if i can convert it to multi region like all my other consoles.

whoa, its been a long time since i saw this thread.

You dont often see them on ebay, cause ebay pull them all the time. When i was watching one on ebay, it got pulled. I emailed the seller telling him to name his price and he said 25pounds, then he relisted it as a buy it now, but under the title of sonic cd with no description :)

Later when i sold it (about 2 years after), i got about $100 for it, so i was pretty happy.

They are defineatlt worth their price though. If that multiregion bios was still available then go for that.

I am wondering if anybody has tried burning the cd-x image to a mega drive flash cart? i have got all of the images if anyone wants to give it a try?

Ok, so as i understand it i have three options

1. convert original games to my region by patching them and burning (time consuming and messy)

2. the multibios mod (very little information on it and i get the feeling its not generally reccomended)

3. a CD-X pro (which seems to be very rare)

If that flash cart goes ok i'd be interested in buying one with a Cd-X pro bios

Originally posted by Otaku_punk@Thu, 2006-01-26 @ 08:10 AM

2. the multibios mod (very little information on it and i get the feeling its not generally reccomended)

There's information about - you've just got to know where to look. ;)

You would still need to get in contact with Arakon though, because AFAIK he's the only guy who's ever sold the replacement BIOS.

i tried to contact that arakon 2.no reply ever.

i don't know nothing of eeprom dammit....i think the mod it's just an eeprom on which all the 3 bioses are written, in different memory location (possibly distant from one each other). Those switches should done the rest of the work;switching the memory location. That's what I thought. dunno...

That's pretty much it. The only other thing that needs to be taken care of is that the BIOS programs must be patched to disable their region checking (normally a SCD/MCD BIOS will refuse to run on a non-matching Genesis/MD).

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sun, 2006-02-19 @ 06:04 PM

That's pretty much it. The only other thing that needs to be taken care of is that the BIOS programs must be patched to disable their region checking (normally a SCD/MCD BIOS will refuse to run on a non-matching Genesis/MD).

[post=144521]Quoted post[/post]​

well what i think is:

if you have the 3 bios on a switchable eeprom and a switchable md, that's all. i think nobody will ever play a Megadrive+MegaCD game with the cart jap and the cd usa.how could you even buy some hell think like that?!?!

anyway some time ago i tried to crack an EU Megacd2 bios. While surfing the web i found an old .txt in which it describes the little region code.

I tried to modify it (hex editor and m68k operational codes =). Then I used an emulator and an original Jap game. It didn't work.

Maybe I should try again that way....what you think?

Back