DC Boot Screen

Hey guy's!...is there a tool/way to change the colour of the boot screen from Blue(pal) to orange(jap/us) (WITHOUGHT linking to a pc...i lack the cables to do this.....)

is there a prog that can be put on CD to do this?

Hmmm, well I know that it does that if I switch a game to run in NTSC mode through my PAR. You need to have the PAR device to do this of course, and have a TV that supports NTSC mode, or a VGA box to run it through a monitor.

Gaz_2_k: I'm not sure if I understand what you meant. Is it the color of the Dreamcast swirl you want to change, or the "licensed by SEGA" screen?

Nemesis: Is it possible you thought this was a Saturn question?! Sounds like you meant the Saturn PAR.

printf

The Saturn PAR cannot switch vertical refresh rates; a hardware switch is necessary to do that on Saturn.

The color of the swirl the DC displays before accessing a game GD/CD is not part of the game itself. You'll have to change the firmware/ROM/"BIOS" of the DC in order to change any part of the introduction sequence. I know things close to this have already been done, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to simply exchange the ROM of your Dreamcast with that of a japanese one. Of course, you will lose a lot of features, and probably wreck your console in the middle of it all.
sad.gif

Why don't you just buy a used asian DC unit? The swirl on the case is orange, too.
wink.gif

printf

By what I know the DC bios checks for some values on it's internal flash memory. The logo swirl color is hard wired to the

50/60hz ID bit on the flash. If it's 50Hz the swirl will be blue, else it will be orange. Brazilian Dreamcast outputs PAL video (60Hz PAL-M video) so it's swirl is orange.

Some modchips works by patching the DC ROM somehow it turns a PAL machine into NTSC (USA/Canada area) so you will get a orange swirl and a U/C DC that play all GD discs.
smile.gif

Just a comment about the brazilian DCs ... Some DC programmers think that 60Hz PAL systems do not exist. So they read the color system ID byte on the DC flashrom instead of reading the 50/60hz first, making all patched games with auto detect TV system play as PAL-B/G/I in brazilian Dreamcasts.

PAL-M uses NTSC frame rate and resolution. From what I've heard, its easy to mod brazilian systems to work as NTSC systems.

Originally posted by Vic Viper@Jan. 15 2003, 8:23 pm

Just a comment about the brazilian DCs ... Some DC programmers think that 60Hz PAL systems do not exist. So they read the color system ID byte on the DC flashrom instead of reading the 50/60hz first, making all patched games with auto detect TV system play as PAL-B/G/I in brazilian Dreamcasts.

As example, people at Treasure. Most specifically, the ones who worked on Ikaruga. ¬_¬

Good I found instructions on how to patch it to force NTSC. Too bad I'll never be able to play the original GD on my DC, unless I mod it to NTSC.

Back