Dell is Retarded...

slinga

Established Member
I'm helping one of my cousins look for a laptop and I found this line on there site: "FREE (3-5 Day) Shipping – Online Only! $19 Handling Charge applies. ENDS TODAY!"

Originally posted by slinga@Wed, 2005-08-17 @ 07:37 PM

I'm helping one of my cousins look for a laptop and I found this line on there site: "FREE (3-5 Day) Shipping – Online Only! $19 Handling Charge applies. ENDS TODAY!"

[post=138390]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: Wow, what a deal. :lol:

Yeah... the shipping could sometimes cost upwards to 100 - 150 bucks. I know when my mum got a Dell tower, 23 inch trinitron and wireless keyboard mouse the shipping was some really high amount.

If your commenting on the handling fee... the handling is different from shipping. Thats why its called shipping and handling. One is postal cost, the other is packaging like box and the sort.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Thu, 2005-08-18 @ 04:15 AM

Yeah... the shipping could sometimes cost upwards to 100 - 150 bucks. I know when my mum got a Dell tower, 23 inch trinitron and wireless keyboard mouse the shipping was some really high amount.
[post=138402]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow, a 23 inch Trinitron? That's 2 inches bigger than mine. Heh, at least I got free shipping and handling when I bought mine from newegg a while back. :p

It's for a ~7 pound laptop though. I think it's Dell just being Dell. I don't ship much, but I think $20 for 7 pounds sounds about right for 3-5 day shipping for someone who ships a lot such as Dell.

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Thu, 2005-08-18 @ 07:53 AM

Wow, a 23 inch Trinitron? That's 2 inches bigger than mine. Heh, at least I got free shipping and handling when I bought mine from newegg a while back. :p

[post=138404]Quoted post[/post]​

Hell yeah.. and my parents just got themselves an LCD screen (only 17"... hahahaha) and they are gonna give me their 23" Trinitron! WOOT!

I got all my shit for my PC (including my 35 lb case) shipped to my door in 2 days for like 25 bucks throughg newegg, gotta love em

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Mon, 2005-08-22 @ 07:58 AM

Dell sucks. I laugh at people who have them :D

[post=138558]Quoted post[/post]​

Really though of your prebuilt machines... which ones ARE any good at an affordable price (things like Alienware are just to expensive)

Gateway

E-machine

HP

Compaq

Sony VAIO (and still expensive)

Umm, I'd never own any of those machines listed... I'd take a Dell over those.

From my work experience, I will only recommend Dell for prebuilt PC's. If the person has money to burn, then I'll mention Alienware.

Dell is okay for prebuilts, but the problem I have with their lower end machines is that a lot of them have no video slot, meaning no upgradability in that department. But for office use etc. they're fine.

The problem I ran into with my old Dell was, when the power supply went bad, I had to buy a whole new system because it was built with propriatory parts. I couldn't simply replace the power supply because the motherboard had a Dell-only connection on it, Dell wouldn't sell a replacement part for less that it cost me to build a new system myself, and good luck finding a working replacement PIII board in 2005.

Now, for a laptop, I imagine they're okay. It's not like you can easily build a complete laptop on your own anyway. Me, I bought a HP, only because of the price. Unfortunately, when I bought it at Wal-Mart, I was told that they didn't have any extended warranty plans. Then it crapped out after 9 months and only had a 90 day warranty. (HD went bad. Bigger problem was it crapped out 24 hours after my Dell desktop died.) I am now aware of the fact that you *CAN* infact buy extended warranties from Wal-Mart's website for shit you bought in the store. So no matter what you get, make sure you're covered for a few years.

I would also agree, for prebuilt systems for an average computer user Dell is the way to go. Most folks that buy dells just want something that they can take out of the box, plug in and play/work on and think nothing else about it.

I would never recomend the cheapest version though, the usually need some sort of upgrade right out of the box. :blink:

20 for handling is kinda high, Im sure they pay next to nothing for boxes and packing material. Now 20 will cover the shipping and the material cost easily. So basically they say free shipping, but you are paying for both shipping and handling in all likelyhood, but free shipping sounds good.

I also give (too many) people computer buying advice. Increasingly, they ask for and purchase Macs. Great for me as I don't have to go take off spyware in two weeks :cheers

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Tue, 2005-08-23 @ 11:53 AM

The problem I ran into with my old Dell was, when the power supply went bad, I had to buy a whole new system because it was built with propriatory parts. I couldn't simply replace the power supply because the motherboard had a Dell-only connection on it, Dell wouldn't sell a replacement part for less that it cost me to build a new system myself, and good luck finding a working replacement PIII board in 2005.

[post=138628]Quoted post[/post]​

I just bought a Pentium 3 socket 370 board about a month ago for 10 bucks with a 3 PCI slots, 1 AGP, and an ISA slot. Worked great especially after flashing the BIOS (had a lil' problem there, but it worked out, put Linux on it and thats the computer Im poting with right now).

I don't know about the older systems but a P4 system Dell system I had wasn't that bad, I yanked the PSU out of it and I am using it on a new system now, the RDRAM that was in it worked great on a MSI board I had till I sold it, I still have the Processor on a new system I have now.

The only propriatary thing on it that got in the way was that the mobo wasn't ATX standard.

If your in the area my computers I build are the best you can buy. They simply crush the dells and other big name brands.

I can build a PC that blows away a Dell too; but not for $300 which includes a 15" flat panel monitor. I would never buy a prebuilt computer. Nor would do I encourage my family too. However, when it comes to people with no real computer skill, I don't recommend building themselves.

Back