depressed over a more yellow-then-white saturn

Admittedly I don't know much about this topic, but I think cleaning is not going to help your saturn turn back to white. It isn't dirty, it's oxidized, a chemical reaction. Bleech might work, its supposed to remove color.

It's not oxidations. It's caused by excessive exposure to UV light (ie sunlight mostly). Once the reaction starts it goes off on it's own from a point. This is why alot of SNES have those damn yellow colors to them but mine that I've had for over 12 years now is still mint (been kept in it's box most of that time). Think of it as a sunburn your Saturn got. But since consoles don't regenerate their skin like we do it's permanent. I'd be weary of any chemicals that say they will bleech out or restore the color. Most likely they'll just make the shell more brittle since they are removing components of the plastic.

No, I really think it is oxidation-related. I've seen SNESes that have been kept in closets for years and have the yellow color. Heck, Berty kept his Saturn in a box and it has yellowed. Perhaps you're right in saying that it's triggered/accelerated by UV though; I wouldn't doubt that.

dont both units have a glossier quality to them most likely it isn't the plastic itself oxidixing more likely it's something they put on it to add shine. i dont know. track down a chemist and ask them for advice.

It HAS to be chemical, I think we have decided that. My guess is sum chemical that's put into the plastic to do god knows what, but it's there and it's yellow. I would eaither say paint it, or use that dye shit they have now (never used it before). You might even get a better white than it came stock...

To add to what I said earlier, I remembered the name of the new Krylon paint that bonds to plastic - Krylon Fusion. That stuff is pure genius.

Here's some more data from my yellow lid'ed dreamcast,

- it was manufactured in may of 2000,

- only the exposed surfaces of the lid are yellowed; the inside and edges of the lid are still white

-the plastic on the rear of the modem is yellowing, but not the the other sides, just the side with the jack.

-it's been kept in the box more often than not, and may have had a stint (a week, tops) in the sun when i let my nephew borrow it; today i saw that his playstation 2 was in a place where the sun reached it everyday.

here's a pic of the rear of the modem:

Attachments

• dcmodem.jpg
    dcmodem.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 99
  • dcmodem.jpg
    dcmodem.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 94
  • dcmodem.jpg
    dcmodem.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 85
I saw those dental strips on television here (in Oz). They said that they some sort of peroxide?

I dont think that it is a UV thing with y saturn as it has always been kept in really shaddy place (nothing suss!). But when you open the CD lid, the plastic around there is really good, nice and white.

I would use a vinyl dye, but if i do that then i will lose my sega decals :(

From what i have read the oxydation point is most right. I think that it was a reaction that statred a long time ago and no matter where or how i kept the console i couldnt stop it.

Thanks for everyone help so far!

Back