Developing an MMORPG on older system?

I was wondering if it is possible in any way. Perhaps a Phantasy-Star-Online-esque Hub that allows you to interact and team up with other users to take on a dungeon. Say, for instance, if the target platform was the Genesis, but the ROM is intended for emulators and a direct connection (via kaillera?) to a server.

If not, would it be possible to force 4-player onto a genesis game, as well as Downloadable dungeons (A main ROM with ROMs branching off for the expansions)?

I think it's next to impossible... I never heard of a ROM, for any emulated console, that could know it was running in a HD, and could be able to branch intro files on that HD.

Anyway MM-anything are the harderst, most expensive, and most sanity-destroyer games to develop EVER. Developing a tetris game in an old console where programming required a tad more balls than it does on today's systems, plus the fact you don't have official tools/docs/support *IS* hard enough.

I can't get why so many game-dev-wannabes want to make multi-massives (check gamedev.net game design forums for some laughs). It's not like you can make one in your garage, and doing a kind of game that can only be remotely fun if you have TONS of infrastructure (servers, fresh content, lotsa users connected) without ANY resources sounds utterly pointless to me.

Originally posted by Segavagabond@Dec 16, 2003 @ 09:29 PM

I was wondering if it is possible in any way. Perhaps a Phantasy-Star-Online-esque Hub that allows you to interact and team up with other users to take on a dungeon. Say, for instance, if the target platform was the Genesis, but the ROM is intended for emulators and a direct connection (via kaillera?) to a server.

If not, would it be possible to force 4-player onto a genesis game, as well as Downloadable dungeons (A main ROM with ROMs branching off for the expansions)?

you could do 4 player in the rom (iirc theres a genny multitap?) but i dont think gens' kaillera has 4 player support

4 player is not massively multiplayer. Heed Medion, MMO is not something you'd want to attempt for an older console. Now that being said, if you were thinking of a game like PSO (which is not an MMO), that sort of thing can be done. As long as you basically forget about downloadable content.

Back