DIY Projection

i use vga for dvd and computer games :)

gotta use s-video and plain video for most stuff, although i do have a vga box for my dreamcast.

i need to order the component to vga adapter from infocus' website, so i can use a digital cable box w/ progressive scan, that'd be sweet (my reception looks like crap with regular analog cable). eventually my cable company will offer hdtv (hopefully).

edit: oh, the bulb is $299, it does last 4000 hours though (i'm only up to around 275 after a few months)

Hi Ape / scared rabbit.

Cool posts :smokin: .

I do have an xobox running on a freinds Sharp projector.

We compared RGB and component cable and on his set up Component rocked :yum.

Soul Calibar 2 was a different game,Colour depth and detail were exemplary :wub:.

We then upgraded all dvd players cables to component and it did just the trick :drool:

A freind named Col who is real good at modding made his own arcade lead and psu for a Neo geo 1 slot machine.

He runs the one slot on a Sony 28 inch tv and doesnt need an arcade device to run anything :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe:.

The cable he made had the audio lead taken out from it,Aswell as the video cable.

The qulaity of image from a 1 slot Neo geo in this comfiguration is simply stagering. :blink:.

The infocus unit sounds great Ape,I did see exactly the item that you are after on Ebay last week.

Will have a browse this morning and se if there are some more and report back,

Thankyou,

Ian.

theyre like $10 on infocus' website. i'm just too lazy to order one, since i haven't got the digital cable tuner yet (they only gave us 2 and they're in other rooms).

most projectors support hdtv, the xbox iirc does not support progessive rgb ( read vga ) output without using a hacked bios, it does however output progessive component. That would be why the xbox looked better using component.

so i can use a digital cable box w/ progressive scan, that'd be sweet (my reception looks like crap with regular analog cable). eventually my cable company will offer hdtv (hopefully).

progessive and hdtv mean the same thing, if your digital cable box isn't outputing hdtv signals, then it isn't outputing progessive signals.

480p = 640x480 30khz, which is progressive/hdtv

480i = 640x480 15khz, what most tv's use.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Jan 10, 2004 @ 05:53 PM

Zig, that's a great setup there, for a fantastic price. How much are the bulbs for that projector, by the way?

on ebay I can get em for the Dukane projector for like $3-10 bucks a bulb running at about 50-75 hours each...

I put my ATI TV Wonder VE card in the pc so that i could hook TV up to it...it's not a very good tuner card so it doesn't really look that good (plus the fact that the quality is downgraded any way by using the projector...

So my end result is:

GOOD:

--------

- Price

- Size

- Quality of MAME/DVD/DivX/Mpeg...

BAD:

------

- Not good if there is much light

- Bulky equipment

- Not (very) good while using my crappy TV capture card.

Originally posted by Ape@Jan 11, 2004 @ 01:26 AM

i use vga for dvd and computer games :)

gotta use s-video and plain video for most stuff, although i do have a vga box for my dreamcast.

i need to order the component to vga adapter from infocus' website, so i can use a digital cable box w/ progressive scan, that'd be sweet (my reception looks like crap with regular analog cable). eventually my cable company will offer hdtv (hopefully).

edit: oh, the bulb is $299, it does last 4000 hours though (i'm only up to around 275 after a few months)

I was sure they cut that scene from T2 out on the USA version...

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit+Jan 11, 2004 @ 07:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scared0o0Rabbit @ Jan 11, 2004 @ 07:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>progessive and hdtv mean the same thing, if your digital cable box isn't outputing hdtv signals, then it isn't outputing progessive signals.

480p = 640x480 30khz, which is progressive/hdtv

480i = 640x480 15khz, what most tv's use.[/b]

well by hdtv i meant 576p/720p/1080i, most places call 480p edtv. i don't care wtf it's considered technically, it's gonna be much nicer than this ass-looking signal i have atm :p

<!--QuoteBegin-Gallstaff
@Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:18 PM

I was sure they cut that scene from T2 out on the USA version... [/quote]

nope :cool:

Originally posted by Ape@Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:11 PM

well by hdtv i meant 576p/720p/1080i, most places call 480p edtv. i don't care wtf it's considered technically, it's gonna be much nicer than this ass-looking signal i have atm :p

Anytime you take several dozen channels, with video and audio each, and run them over a single wire, it's not gonna look like anything but ass. Even running a single channel of video over a single wire with no audio looks like ass.

yep, analog cable sucks. digital cable isn't perfect either because of the mpeg2 they use, but its still MUCH nicer than this crap i have atm :)

:blink: Yes Ape,Tottaly agree :D .

Digital---rr---MPEG2--THE SECOND WORST EVIL OF THE DIJITAL WORLD :devil .

I have a Laserdisk player and i still think that compared to DVD it beats it hands down.

DVD to me seems to have no depth to the image at all,Everything is either dark or light.Everything seems to be in super detail aswell,Background and foreground.

I think Dijital does have some good qualitys but they are not realised yet.

I was talking to a guy who used to work at Pioneer in the uk,They built a Laserdisk player that was a prototype machine displaying over 900 lines resolution,The demo only lasted 20 minuites.

Play a laserdisk on a decent Elite player and i just watch the film and forget about the hardware.

Play a dvd and within half an hour i get fatigue with all the super detail and moving mpeg.

Reminds me of the old"VIYNL VS CD" Debate again.

Uncompressed is shurely the way ahead. :sarcasm:

well dvd is nice on my projector. maybe if you lowered the intensity of the image to give it a more "filmic" picture it might look better? lots of dvds (unfortunately) have edge enhancement in the picture to make it look better on crappy tvs, which makes it look too poppy and digitized/unnatural on nice displays. i've only seen a laserdisc in person about 5 or 6 years ago in middle school, on some stupid interactive quiz thing, on a tiny tv, so i can't comment on the quality myself. in a few years there will be hd-res dvds (once they switch to a higher density disc format such as bluray) which (hopefully) will lower the visibility of stuff like compression artifacts and the need for edge enhancement, etc.

Hi Ape,

Great post :cool:.

I just read a thread from Scared Rabbit which explained the way dvd converts dijital signals(SCARED RABBITS KNOWLEDGE IS AMAZING). :cool:

I do remember the interactive dvd players,they where very basic and sell on ebay for peanuts.

A freaind has an ELITE LD-S2 dvd player and it is tottaly awsome.

I have had about six players myself.

Here in the uk DVD quality mastering REALLY SUCKS BIGTIME compared to NTSC masetring.Thereoreticaly it should be good beacuse we have more lines of resolution but it really is BBBBBAAAADD.

The sound is awful and quality is very ultra fatiguing.

I have been very impressed with USA dvd players like the PIONEER DVO-9,Which shows what dvd is capable off.

I guess the uk market has put me of dvd a lot.

With the USA market i am probably wrong in saying as before that dvd is bad,The qaulity is deffinatlyy good.

With Laserdisk i think the "UNCOMPRESSED NATURE" of the technology appeals most.

Cool info on the HD dvd that are going to come out.I do have some SUPERBITMAPPED dvd films like THE FIFTH ELEMENT which is very good.

Also the HONG KONG pressing of CROUCHING TIGER is phenomininal.

Its intresting to note that Scared Rabbit mentioned the video colour of dvd playback is compressed,This really makes sense to me and has really helped.

With the new Hd disks that are going to come out i wonder how the machine itself will decode them?

If uncompressed colour was used i think it would be the dawn of a new era in film watching.

Thanks,

Ian. :ph34r:

Back