Do Key carts really work?

I've been trying to find this out for the last year.

Do key carts work? I mean, not the cart extenders, but the ones that claim to fool the game into thinking your unit is from a different region. Does anyone here own one? Do they overcome lockout codes such as those found in Doreamon, Rockman, Pokemon 2, Dragonball Z?

I hear installing a country switch will not overcome the programmed lock-out. So, will a do I have to keep switchin fuggin' systems when I want to play region carts?
damn.gif

I had a region cart in order to play shining force1 (US) on my European MD and it worked fine, without this cart I couldn't play to a such game.

vbt,

Is your cart a switchable region cart? Such as, "Magic Key" ?

Is it more than just a cart extender? Does it overcome all program lockout?

there was no switch, i don't know if it can help you, here is what is written on my cart :

Megadrive Converter DP-MD 330 L

It overcome SF1 protection and I think also my Phantasy Star V protection for other games like JAP, I used only a simple cart, a stupid adapter.

those carts work, but it's wasted money.

the country switches will 100% circumvent the country protection, since it fully turns the genny into that country version.

it's identical to how sega actually makes different region versions.. they set the jumpers that are changed with the switches.

arakon,

Can you recommend a good source for info on modifying a GEN 2? The info on this site is very brief. I've done google searches, but the links are all old and broken by now.

I would love to do a mod, but I am not very good at soldering (I have a thick iron... ) I have a Model 1 mega drive, and two model 2 USA versions. I don't want to risk messing up my mega drive because I only have one and I am in america
sad.gif

Exhibit A:

www.litespeedcomputers.com/sx/misc/md2mod.html

(broken link on our beloved site)

DjoeN's site is cool, but I thought there was a way to make the system universal (playing both regions without a switch)

DjoeN's site is cool, but I thought there was a way to make the system universal (playing both regions without a switch)

Nope. A bit can only be 0 or 1, not both at the same time (quantum computers notwithstanding).

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jun 5, 2003 @ 03:50 PM

Nope. A bit can only be 0 or 1, not both at the same time (quantum computers notwithstanding).

Oh yeah?

Well how do explain rotary dials, and hermaphrodites, and half eaten twinkies?!

I refuse to live in your world of extreme black and whites! I want my switchless mod now! :smash

Wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of auto detect method? Or better yet, can anyone mod a system for me because I have NO skills with the soldering iron.

Anyone want to sell a modded system to me?
unsure.gif

Wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of auto detect method?

An auto-detect cart is actually feasible, but it would be substantially more expensive than a switch-based cart.

Back