Do old/retro games hold up well over time?

I still love to waste an entire day conquering a small map in master of orion (I wish I had an original of this one)

Do old/retro games hold up well over time?

Objectively speaking, the answer is variable. It depends on the way you measure how a game "holds up". The answer can be anything if you measure it by an individual's tastes, or 'Yes', if you measure it scientifically.

Originally posted by it290@Sat, 2005-07-23 @ 12:27 PM

I like Hitchcock films, but not all of 'em. Rope is kinda crappy, IMO.

[post=137149]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think I've seen Rope, but I do like the birds and spellbound. The Birds, you either like it or hate it, and the acting is so almost soul-less, but I still find it a good movie.

Yeah, The Birds is all about the atmosphere and the birds themselves. Not your run-of-the-mill Hitchcock film, that's for sure.

Right, before you go any futher, the following could be considered a rant and or ramble, but hey its free, and its not aimed at any one person. You don't have to agree and that's cool cause everyone's tastes are different, in fact...if you have anything to add...why not go on and post it?

---Booyah!! Here we go!---

Hah! I had a go at Fighter's Megamix last night for no other reason than to see if I had those rose tinted glasses on the first time around. Oh hell no dudes, this game is just as good as I remember!

I never knew Lion had a [<-, <-, P, PK] punch, that actually floats really well on a major counter! Long story short....I was actually late for work this morning because of this game.

That, and I can still Dragon Lance like it was 1996...some things you never forget. My wife comes in the living room at like 2am saying "You're still up!!?? You're gonna be late again!!"...and I'm just kneeling there in the dark, face literally 8 inches from the T.V. screen, control pad under my chin, and biting my lower lip. She said I looked crazy as shi$. My god, if that's not the mark of a good game...I don't know what is.

Christ! by and large, there are good games in any generation...I just have a preference for older stuff :D But I can totally understand how folks raised on this generation of gaming could think this is the best stuff ever.

It occurred to me this morning as I was literally running from the train station to work, that I have a PS2 just so I don't have to keep explaining why I only have a Saturn, Dreamcast, and PCE hooked up all the time (my god you wouldn't believe how many times I've been asked "Why do only play old crap?" Ugh....)

And try as I might...I just can't get excited about the next generation. I've looked at screenshots, read spec - sheets, read the forums, but I just can't become interested.

Maybe that's because I feel there really hasn't been enough innovation gameplay - wise this current generation...let alone enough to warrant a new system, or perhaps I'm just tired of posing. In any case, I remember back in like 2001 or 2002 I was playing VO:OT linkcable with my brother all day, and I said "Bro, my gaming never needs to get any better than this." I should've known then that I was contented game - wise.

So I guess this whole "young graphics whores" vs. "old nostalgic farts" thing pretty much depends on what you were raised on. While playing uh...Shinobi(PS2) all I could think of was "Damn, I'd much rather be playing Shinobi 3!" Nevermind the fact that back in the day, I played this game to friggin' death! Yet I have a younger cousin who can't stand anything 2D and loves pretty crap like Soul Calibur 2 (I'm sorry, but this is a classic example of a game that looks a helluva lot better than it plays!). I remember watching him play and when he won a match our conversation was literally:

Me: "Did you even know what the hell you were doing?"

Him: "...."

Me: (disgusted) "Oh hell...do you want this game?"

Him: "Really!?...for free right??"

Me: "Take it, its yours"

Its all about the taste we've developed. Me, I love those old "Day of the Tentacle", "Monkey Island" and "Snatcher" collect everything & talk to everyone type games, which is why I hold Shenmue in such high regard. But alot of folks don't have the patience for such now a days. Its not so much their fault as it is the preference they've formed through their own experiences. I mean honestly...If you've been playing "Shattered Soldier" all your life and then someone is like "Happy birthday!, I bought you Super - Miracle Othello!" you mean to tell me you wouldn't be like "WTF!? :blink: "

Now what I totally don't understand is this whole system wars thing, you can find this like everywhere on the net. First and foremost...most of us already lived through the best ones (16 & 32/64 bit). Every system has games that make it worth owning (heh...except maybe the Jaguar. I only paid $14 bucks for it, and to this day I still feel ripped off! , Just kidding Jag fans :lol: ). From the Coleco Adam to the Virtual Boy, to the Xbox, each has some gold in their library. Just cause someone doesn't have or like your system or its library is no reason to dump on their choice. That just shows that you only feel justified in your purchase when others feel inferior because of theirs. Yeah, that = stupid, and its been done to death already. Besides, the good thing about this upcoming generation is that hardware wise, these guys seem like they'll be able to do pretty much the same stuff across the board. So it'll really be up to the games to make one system shine brighter than another. But regardless...just make your choice, and play the games (or like some people...buy all 3 and gloat while you play the games....the bastards). If the most fun you can derive from your console is making others feel bad about theirs...then it may not count for much, but in my eyes that makes you a piss-poor excuse for a gamer.

Now just for entertainment purposes...my consoles & why I love 'em (this is not for bragging..as you'd get made fun of royally for owning some of these!)

NES:

C'mon this had to be here. I never owned the SMS (I know..I'm a SEGA poser). And this baddie gave me years of fun with only 2 buttons. Man, games didn't need to be complex or epic in any way back then. Only on the NES could you have ninjas, snowboarding, and aliens all in the same game and somehow it all made sense. Too bad my NES crapped out on me a few years ago. I still keep the husk around though, to remind me of a time when reading game magazines, and skipping school to stay home and play Rollergames (almost failing 4th grade mind you) were what gaming was all about.

Genesis & Sega CD:

These still get alot of play from me to this day. Where else are you gonna play General Chaos, Strider, Streets of Rage, Alien Soldier, and Eternal Champions (yeah I said it!) all while thinking "Yeah beeyatches, it does what Nintendon't!". That and there was a time where I played Fatal Fury 2 dedicated on this machine for well over a year (seriously). Hah, super flaming deadly ninja bees still rocks! Also, this system has some of my favorite chip generated music ever, I still put Streets of Rage 2 in sound test on a regular basis.

SNES:

I was given this one by a friend. Fantastic colors and my first taste of the x-band modem. I loved games like Pilot Wings and F-Zero (anyone else do the 'F-Zero lean' when they played?). Contra 3 was pretty good too along with Chrono Trigger (damn, being a SEGA fanboy at the time I really wanted to hate this game). Fire stingray was, and always will be my shi$. And I still play Top Gear 2 from time to time if for nothing else than the excellent title screen tune (You might be missing some of the benefits, that stereo can provide :cool: ) Yeah, and after all these years I still feel like an ass for yelling "Hack Pack Hack A New Kick!!!" whenever I did a hurricane kick in SSF2, but seriously did anyone back then know what the hell Ryu / Ken actually said!?

Playstation:

Hmmm, tough one. I got this for the same reason I think alot of us did...because everyone else had one. Truth be told, I bear no hatred toward this machine, and had a good amount of fun on it. One of my favorite fighters, Ehrgeiz, is on it. And eventhough I don't even like the game...my Kairi in Street Fighter EX plus Alpha (I kid you not...that's the title) is freakin' unbeatable. You gotta give the Playstation credit, it did bring gaming into the mainstream...but depending on who you talk too, that could be a good or bad thing (me = bad thing!).

Nintendo 64:

I have no clue why so many people hate this system. Be honest, did you ever even play Jet force Gemini? Heh, you're not alone. Most people didn't. They just saw the blurry 3D and then shelved the system totally. But this console gave me a special feeling that no other one of that 32/64 bit generation could. For the first time it felt like you were in a full 3D world. Not a bunch of 3D scenes pieced together by "now loading..." screens. And for that seamless fabrication I'll never part with my N64. I just wish I could find 3 friends who would play something on this system with me...

Jaguar:

Next!! No seriously, there were some good games for this console too. Of course there's Tempest, but I loved Iron Soldier most of all. Graphically, this is about as 'virtua' as you can get. And since I love flat shaded graphics...I don't mind alot of Jag 3D. Plus...look up the attachments that were in the works for this thing. Atari had big plans for this box. The worst thing about it was that they included Cybermorph with it. And yeah, I beat it...even had some fun along the way. But damn, this game was a little underwhelming, and left some with a bad impression of the system. Something kinda creepy about seeing a HUGE flatshaded polygonal head rise out of water though.

Virtual Boy:

Hey, its no 32bit monster polygon pusher, but what the VB did, it did the best. The 3D effect this system generates still impresses me. It literally seems like things are coming at you with a real sense of depth. Playing Teleroboxer the first time, I remember that I actually yanked my head back the first few rounds :lol: . Freakin eats batteries like its name was Nomad though. If you get this, buy Wario for it. Its too good for words and really puts the Virtual Boy's 3D effect to good use. Quality stuff, and I never got a headache. Oh yeah and you NEVER wanna tell anyone you have one of these ;) EVER!

Dreamcast:

The end of new-age gaming for me? Sure seems that way now. I love this system, but in a weird way, being a Saturn fan I kinda resent it too. Awww well. This console and its games reek quality. Certainly this was one of SEGA's shining moments. Hell you all probably own one, so is there really any need for me to tell you what you already know!? I got mine in a pawn shop at a super discounted price, the shop keeper telling me that the original owner sold it to save for that other upcoming system (PS2). The moment I got home and powered this baby up, it was pure bliss. Even now I actively hunt for DC software, even checking out FAQs for games and such. There's a magic here and though the DC is considered a 'dead system' its still very much alive to me! And yeah...my graphics never needed to get any better than this either. After playing Shenmue, who doesn't drink a can of soda now and say say "Ahhh, good!"?? I mean, really...

Saturn & PCE:

Describing these 2 would take forever! But without a doubt they are my favorites. 2D Heaven is right here in your living room dudes, and some pretty nice 3D as well. The Saturn holds the #1 spot for me especially because its home to all the games I used to save my lunch money to play at the arcade when I was a kid. Hah, I remember a few times a teacher would come up to me and say:

Teach: "Justin, you've eaten the free courtesy lunch all week..."

Me: "Uh, really?...heh, that many times huh? :D (thinking..."ship! I'm busted!)"

Teach: "Is everything okay at home?"

Me: :huh:

But hell, that one game of freakin' dollar VF2 made eating peanut butter sammiches and having to walk 2 miles home cause you also spent your bus money at the arcade, all worthwhile! I still can smell the crappy pizza and popcorn of the arcade whenever I hear "Reload! Reload!" from VC. However, its not just the nostalgia. SEGA was incredibly picky about who they let develop for this thing, and in retrospect...I kinda like that move. Sure, compared to other consoles the Saturn library is kinda small. But I'll be damned if there isn't some major quality in there. To just up and say "The Saturn sux!" either means you've never actually spent time with it, or you're just an asshole. But to get the most from these consoles...you gotta import. Their games are so specialized and they still have TONZ of exclusives. On the PCE front...I picked it up kinda late, but the likes of Aero Blasters and someday Soldier Blade (if I can ever find it!) make this shumpers heaven #2. Bright & colorful sprites, fantastic old-school game music and the excellent merc's style Bloody Wolf...when it comes to 2D the PCE does it well, and of its generation, did it best! Highly underrated & overlooked. You can get one at almost any big flea-market! Why are you still reading this, you want 2D that doesn't age?? and some of the best "what the hell!? I never even heard of this game!" titles you've ever played? Go get this thing! Its like a really well kept secret, and I'm proud to say its one of my most - played systems. Mind you, choosing between the Saturn & PCE is like saying you love one of your kids more than the other...yeah, you never wanna ever actually do it.

PS2:

Despite how it may sound above, I really do think this is a quality system. Especially when I think back to all those SOCOM & Shinobi days. But its just not my thing, that's all. Graphically, I miss my corners on characters...I always thought that gave them, uh, well...character. That and if I see any more particle / light effects my eyes are gonna bleed!! I have a friend who thinks this system is the best invention ever!, even better than the toilet! He calls me too set in my old ways (not literally THAT old, I'm only 22 for cryin out loud), and I call him graphics whore, but its all in good fun. But I think the thing that kills it for me is essentially I've seen most of these games in some form or another on my other systems, so that "Wow! this is revolutionary!" factor that some folks have is lost on me. That and I lack a connection to this thing. Maybe its because its backwards compatible, or maybe its cause the library borders on being dangerously close to the same the PS1 had, but if someone stole this from my house, I'd just shrug it off and get another someday...maybe. Take my DC & I'll cry like a beeyatch...take my Saturn or PCE and you'll get a screwdriver in your damn neck! See the order of love here?

Bah! I think this post was just about as long as the book of Genesis :lol:

Anyway that's my take on gaming, I know this was pretty Off - topic, but its been kinda quiet around here and at least if you're slavin' away at work, this could make for an interesting diversion. Whatever your choice, game on guys! And if you're ever in an arcade and someone asks "Is it okay if I jump in?" you gotta say "Ask for it with your Power!" because yeah, original Art of Fighting in the arcade DID kick just that much ass (the game that also taught me to love SNK and how to button mash, remember the ice break??)

Hmmm, now to try my hand at Fantasy Zone again...it's literally been over a decade, and this game still whoops me (damn swirly armed boss!!). Wish me luck!

Hah, guess I should actually do some uh, work now...seeing as how they pay me for that and all....ooooooor I could do play some NGPC in the bathroom stalls. Heh, c'mon is there really a choice here?

- See Ya!!

Back