DOA for Saturn vs. DOA for PSX

Hey, I been thinking of getting Dead or Alive but I have one question, should I get it for the PSX or the saturn? I'm more prefering to get it for the saturn but i've heard that the PSX version has better lighting and other stuff. Anyone wanna help me out?
smile.gif

I actually heard the opposite...that the Saturn version has better textures(?) and/or is smoother....I don't think there are any major differences at all...that said, owning the Saturn version I can tell you that it ROCKS and is stunningly beautiful to look at. So go ahead and get it. :)

I've also heard that the saturn version is somewhat supperior graficly compared to the psx version, I can't confirm this though as I have only played the saturn one so far.

I have the japanese psx version. Graphically very good (some say dreamcast worthy) and the bouncing breasts option is humorous.

Except for the backgrounds. PSX backgrounds are like distant backgrounds and the screen is cut off on top and bottom, like it was widescreen, while Saturn has full screen backgrounds.

Originally posted by Agent21KGB@Aug. 31 2002, 9:18 pm

I have the japanese psx version. Graphically very good (some say dreamcast worthy) and the bouncing breasts option is humorous.

hahaha- have you ever played a DC game ?

Well let me see here I have over 100 dreamcast games so I think I have but I could be wrong. It is just that one of my friends walked by as I fist fired up DOA and (he having a dc) was like wow cool dc game.

I have played both, my saturn version is a NTSC 60hz one, but my PSX one is only PAL. Even though the game is meant to be 60 fps in both instances, the PAL tele cannot reproduce this as it runs at a meagre 50Hz or 50 times per second, whilst the NTSC one will run at 60Hz (so long as your tele will do this.) Now before anyone tries to correct me, i know that in both instances the game is being rendered at 60fps by both systems, what im trying to point out is how NTSC is a superior format.

Back to the real issue, yes the saturn version has better loading times (marginally). yes the saturn version still has bouncing boobs
wink.gif
. The saturn control is much more intuitive,

and i think that the saturn version benifited more from the conversion from the arcade because it was on a model 2 system and we all know how good other model 2 conversions have been, sega rally, vf2, vc2, maybe with the exception being THOD.

Originally posted by SilentSnipeR+Sep. 03 2002, 3:00 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilentSnipeR @ Sep. 03 2002, 3:00 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Raijin Z@Sep. 02 2002, 3:58 am

gaythread.jpg

How about you go fuck yourself?
angry.gif

It was a legitimate question.[/b][/quote]

Eat a dick.

This thread = PSX IS TEH SUXX0R BECUZ SATTURN IS OBIVOSLY SUPPEREOR! EVN THO PSX HAS BETTAR 3-D CAPABILLITYS AND SATTURN WAS APPOST 2 B A 2-D SYSTEMM IT DUSINT MATTUR!

This thread = PSX IS TEH SUXX0R BECUZ SATTURN IS OBIVOSLY SUPPEREOR! EVN THO PSX HAS BETTAR 3-D CAPABILLITYS AND SATTURN WAS APPOST 2 B A 2-D SYSTEMM IT DUSINT MATTUR!

As it turns out, some of those things that "everybody knows" turn out to be complete bullshit. If you want to talk about actual features of the Saturn architecture that's one thing, but throwing around this "they added the 3D chip at the last second because they didn't think anyone was doing 3D until they saw Playstation" kind of crap doesn't impress me.

I sort of agree with you to in a way Raijin Z, but maybe you could make your point a bit less aggressively (and more convincingly as a result)
smile.gif

There is a tendancy to overblow games on Sega systems here, but it is a Sega board after all, and should be expected. Example: many people have made comments to the tune of 'Whatever the PS2 can do, Dreamcast can do better' and 'No PS2 game looks better than Soul Calibur' (I'd dig out the posts but I'm feeling lazy). I guess none of those people have seen Virtua Fighter 4.

Maybe the best one was 'The Saturn is a WAY better system for RPGs than PSX'. Hmm.. Let me see, there's Panzer Dragoon Saga, a few great ones that only came out in Japan and um.. Panzer Dragoon Saga? And the great PSX RPGs from Square alone number probably a dozen.

I love my Saturn for it's shooters and fighters, but for most other 32 bit stuff, it's gotta be Playstation.

Go on, hang me know
smile.gif

Originally posted by Raijin Z+Sep. 04 2002, 6:15 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Raijin Z @ Sep. 04 2002, 6:15 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by SilentSnipeR@Sep. 03 2002, 3:00 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Raijin Z
@Sep. 02 2002, 3:58 am

gaythread.jpg

How about you go fuck yourself?
angry.gif

It was a legitimate question.

Eat a dick.

This thread = PSX IS TEH SUXX0R BECUZ SATTURN IS OBIVOSLY SUPPEREOR! EVN THO PSX HAS BETTAR 3-D CAPABILLITYS AND SATTURN WAS APPOST 2 B A 2-D SYSTEMM IT DUSINT MATTUR![/b][/quote]

did I ever say the saturn was shit?!

I only asked to compare the to games ffs.

you need help
angry.gif

To help you out a bit...some more things to add in the differences of both versions from my point of view:

saturn version: arcade alike -> same music, backgrounds & gameplay as the arcade game

psx version: "arranged" version -> other music (I like more the saturn one
tongue.gif
), two extra characters (bass & ayane), more clothes to all characters, some other gameplay options, changed backgrounds & improved intro and ending video quality

about the graphics, I find them very similar in sharpness and detail; but I find the saturn colors more vivid than the psx (my impression
tongue.gif
)

When did I imply Saturn sucked? This place is just like Apple boards. People piss all over the "competition" even when the home team pulled a boner. Probably not the most appropriate turn of phrase, considering the game, but almost every US-released 3D Saturn game I've ever played looked dithered to shit.

Back