Dodgy DC laser

mal

Established Member
Has anyone here actually fixed or replaced one?

I'm going to try replacing just the laser head itself and not the whole unit. Has anyone here tried this before?

mal ... DON'T.

I got a replacement Dreamcast lens from Lik-Sang.

Didn't work.

Sent it back, got another one.

Didn't work.

Some experiments with both of my DC consoles and a lenghty e-mail exchange with a nice Lik-Sang rep lead me to believe there's an incompatibility of some sort between the kind of lens they sell, and U.S. Dreamcast consoles. Oh, and mine have a Yamaha and a Sanyo GD-ROM drive each... made no difference.

The problem I has was the laser would move up and down but not emit any light whatsoever.

So... I just want to save you from some trouble and frustration. You might be luckier just getting a whole replacement GD-ROM drive, which shouldn't cost much more...

Thanks for the tip, but for a couple of reasons I may well give it a go anyway.

A whole new GD-ROM would be ideal, but at twice the price of a lens (and only a little less than a second hand DC) I'm a little reluctant.

The other reason I'm going to try is that my DC has a Samsung GD-ROM so it might not have the same problem. Time will tell.
wink.gif

Originally posted by mal@Jun 26, 2003 @ 09:57 PM

Thanks for the tip, but for a couple of reasons I may well give it a go anyway.

A whole new GD-ROM would be ideal, but at twice the price of a lens (and only a little less than a second hand DC) I'm a little reluctant.

The other reason I'm going to try is that my DC has a Samsung GD-ROM so it might not have the same problem. Time will tell.
wink.gif

Try eBay.

That's not really the point either.

I'd then only end up with another DC that I'd have to fix and it would still have a dodgy laser...

Originally posted by mal@Jun 30, 2003 @ 09:21 PM

That's not really the point either.

I'd then only end up with another DC that I'd have to fix and it would still have a dodgy laser...

I meant try eBay to find a laser assembly (or even just laser eye) which was cannibalised from a DC which failed for other reasons.
tongue.gif

So, mal, got a DC lens on order yet? If not, do you want mine? I haven't gotten around to returning it to Lik-Sang, yet.

I hadn't yet as I had a small flood of bills to pay. <_<

Sure, I'd be interested in the one you have if you've got no use for it.

On a slightly different topic...

Fuck I'm good, just ask me!
biggrin.gif

One of my DCs (I have a few now
blush.gif
) had a cracked AV port. It required much cursing to wiggling of the AV lead to get both stereo sound and video.

Last night the port pretty much disintergrated. I was getting no output at all.
sad.gif

Then I had an idea.
smile.gif

I've got a DC that's now made up of dead parts - faulty GD ROM, the controller board fuse is gone and the mainboard puts out no video. It does however have an AV port that's in good condition.

Can you guess what's coming?

I removed both serial/AV port assemblies and then resoldered the good one back on to the working DC. And it works.
smokin.gif

ive adjusted the laser on my dc and squeezed more life out a machine i thought had become a paperweight, theres a coupla tutorials on the web, worth a try, save yerself a dollar... just do a search on google

since this is a "dodgy DC laser topic" i thought i would add this post here instead of creating a new one. My dc laser doesn't read cds all the time. The drive wont even spin. Im not talking about cdr backups, im talking about the real games. In order to get it to read the cd, i have to push the laser eye to the back of the dc with my finger. I somehow doubt doing that is any good for my dc. But what can i do to fix it?

Back